• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And where was it in all those countries you mentioned? Slavery was pretty ubiquitous everywhere till the 19th century.
I wonder, are you trying to justify slavery?

Or are you trying to say that our distant ancestors, who could build temples and write scripture and develop laws and codes of ethics and morals were simply to dumb to understand empathy?

Because you keep harping on this!

For the record, what I am trying to say, and have been all along, is that it is clear to anyone who can see other humans as being essentially like themselves that slavery is wrong, and that practicing slavery is simply putting you economic wants above your ethical duty. And I maintain that humans, however pious they pretend to be, have been doing that forever.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I have found that by and large everyone against the posting of the Ten Commandments will compare anything - slavery, lynching, forcing of religion et al to that one act even though it has nothing to do with it.
Are you claiming, then, that the Ten Commandments is NOT intended to be a "fundamental code of ethics?"

F1fan

Veteran Member
Florida is allowing religion to be included in their public schools also. Well, at least it has been in the works.
Only if it's teaching world religions, and no one religion is said to be correct over others.
The Satanist Temple has been very anxious to be included in Florida's initiative.
As would be their right IF Florida is going to allow any single religion to be promoted by the state.
As for one religion being officially promoted by a state over other religions, I suppose that's the direction that specific state is going. Is it unconstitutional? Apparently, this has been decided as a constitutional leniency, per state decision.
But the federal constitution has authority over anything a state will decree.
The broad brush of big government may be condensing to smaller geographic locations...States, specifically and it appears to be based on state majority.
We are seeing some red states being rebellious, and oddly are much like the old Confederate States and their rebellion against the federal coalition. What is motivating this rebellion? It seems to be rebellion for the sake of frustration of nothing in particular. It resembles the tantrums we see in children.
As for the graven images, carved and idolatrous ...
Like wearing a cross....
We are guaranteed right to practice our religions.
Yes, and like all other rights it has limitations. For example Christians can't torture and execute people for wutchcraft like they once did. Christians can't proliferate creationism to children in public school. Christians do have the right to teach their children to be bigots against gays, or lie to them about science, and that I find troubling, but it's the way it goes in a free society.
I wonder if ever there will be a state to pick up a Satanist leaning majority and create a satanist state specifically, per majority of popular vote.
That hasn't happened for any religion. If they did for Christianity would it be a liberal version that valkues science and women's right to access abortion services, or an extremist form that is anti-gay, anti-science, and anti-abortion access?
At least then, they can display their statues and alters according to community wishes.
Sure, if a community allows a place for religious symbols, good for them to show diversity and liberty.
I wonder if other religions will have the conviction and zeal to create a majority in specific locations also.
The last thing the world needs is more religious extremists beleiving they have the "truth" over all others. Less conviction and zeal for religion, and more for humanism.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Things my religion considers idolatrous:

Displaying religiously inspired articles, imagery or icons; including the display of the Ten Commandments, wearing crosses, representations of religious figures, etc.

Imagine that? Idolators calling out other idolators and scolding the other for their idolatry. And telling other idolators their idolatry is "wrong".

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
It's only heresy if my statement came while being a monotheist. I'm not. And it totally works for me.

See 2b:

I hope you have a wonderful day. I am taking advantage of the heat here in PA and going kayaking.

Viker

See 2b:

I hope you have a wonderful day. I am taking advantage of the heat here in PA and going kayaking.
I'm not baptized by the Catholic church. So....

Enjoy your day. Stay safe and stay cool.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
See 2b:

Yeah, your faith is not that, i.e. the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards:
2b - an opinion, doctrine, or practice contrary to the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I've never seen the Commandments used to resolve conflicts between warring parties.
I hope schools have not gotten that bad. The first half is bogus, but the second half might open some eyes. They will probably put them up anyway, and before they are forced to take them down by a ruling, I am trying to find a positive take on it.

Viker

I hope schools have not gotten that bad. The first half is bogus, but the second half might open some eyes. They will probably put them up anyway, and before they are forced to take them down by a ruling, I am trying to find a positive take on it.
If they want to keep the last five or six, as a compromise, I could possibly be cool with that. Maybe.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yeah, your faith is not that, i.e. the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards:
2b - an opinion, doctrine, or practice contrary to the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards.
Of course that accepted belief and standard applies WITHIN the community of believers, and not necessarily to the whole of a society that has many diverse standards and beliefs. So being a hereitc might not apply to other religious people in a society, but would to those under one religious umbrella. We see this in the vast diversity of Christian belief, from liberal belief to extremists, and few things are agreed upon.

Clizby Wampuscat

A military firing squads means that there was a trial and conviction court.

The problem is with the fact that they are elected official thus face no disincentivizing action to discourage them from creating laws that are obviously unconstitutional - that was the point and you seem to have missed this.
So you think making unconstitutional laws should result in a firing squad? There is a constitutional process to deal with unconstitutional laws. That is how a civil society deals with it.