• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Clizby Wampuscat

It's that one religion is being officially promoted by a state over all others. That is unconstitutional and unAmerican. This is a land for us all, not just idolatrous Christians who love them some graven images amd don't wanna share society.
They are trying to get it in as a historical document which the supreme court has said is ok. They need to show our country was founded on the ten commandments in my opinion. This is clearly an attempt to get christianity into the schools which is unconstitutional and anti liberty.

Pogo

Only if it's teaching world religions, and no one religion is said to be correct over others.

As would be their right IF Florida is going to allow any single religion to be promoted by the state.

But the federal constitution has authority over anything a state will decree.

We are seeing some red states being rebellious, and oddly are much like the old Confederate States and their rebellion against the federal coalition. What is motivating this rebellion? It seems to be rebellion for the sake of frustration of nothing in particular. It resembles the tantrums we see in children.

Like wearing a cross....

Yes, and like all other rights it has limitations. For example Christians can't torture and execute people for wutchcraft like they once did. Christians can't proliferate creationism to children in public school. Christians do have the right to teach their children to be bigots against gays, or lie to them about science, and that I find troubling, but it's the way it goes in a free society.

That hasn't happened for any religion. If they did for Christianity would it be a liberal version that valkues science and women's right to access abortion services, or an extremist form that is anti-gay, anti-science, and anti-abortion access?

Sure, if a community allows a place for religious symbols, good for them to show diversity and liberty.

The last thing the world needs is more religious extremists beleiving they have the "truth" over all others. Less conviction and zeal for religion, and more for humanism.
I would argue that a poster of the ten commandments qualifies as a graven image in this case.
from ICR,
"The main thrust of this commandment is that believers are not to worship anything that is earthly as a representation of God."
It should be taken as a representation of their God.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I would argue that a poster of the ten commandments qualifies as a graven image in this case.
from ICR,
"The main thrust of this commandment is that believers are not to worship anything that is earthly as a representation of God."
It should be taken as a representation of their God.
One of the gods of the Caananites. Oh wait, the God of the Jews. Oh wait, the God of Christians which may include Jesus. Oh wait, the God of Muslims. Oh wait, the God of Mormons, or JWs, or the Urantia folks, or who knows what.

Do Christians even follow the 10 commandments?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
One of the gods of the Caananites. Oh wait, the God of the Jews. Oh wait, the God of Christians which may include Jesus. Oh wait, the God of Muslims. Oh wait, the God of Mormons, or JWs, or the Urantia folks, or who knows what.

I can't speak for everyone else of course, but I do. But my version does differ from the one being posted on school walls.

Pogo

Was that rhetorical?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
They are trying to get it in as a historical document which the supreme court has said is ok. They need to show our country was founded on the ten commandments in my opinion. This is clearly an attempt to get christianity into the schools which is unconstitutional and anti liberty.
Definitely. And their historic document thing is so weak. Their god and religion are found no where in Founding documents, America's First and Jehovah's First (and sometimes also Second) are inherently and fundamentally incompatible, they won't display Hamurabi's Code or the Magna Carta or the Greek principles that are the bedrocks of Western Democracy. And they definitely will not show the Treaty of Tripoly to clarify the historical validity of things, and nowhere will they mention Paine's scathing criticisms of Christianity and especially not when Jefferson wrote it's ok to conclude there is no god. Nor up for display is that most of the earlier, Founding Father Presidents were Deists, as too was probably Lincoln.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Having that in the classroom is not forcing anything. Ignore as you wish. But I think our kids should be exposed to the truth. Our Constitution is overrated IMHO.

Hopefully, you feel the same about other things, such as the Seven Fundamental Tenets of the Church of Satan? Or literature regarding pro-LGBTQ+ ideas? Arguably, a book concerning the civics of how to engage with fellow citizens (including how to manage pronoun use and civil language) would be more beneficial than the Ten Commandments.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The problem with your opinion, in this case, is that it is simply wrong. The country was NOT founded on the Ten Commandments -- and you will find them mentioned nowhere in the Declaration of Indepence nor in the Constitution. Nowhere in either of those documents, or the other State Papers, will you find "thou shalt have no other Gods before me," nor about "remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy."

Clizby Wampuscat

The problem with your opinion, in this case, is that it is simply wrong. The country was NOT founded on the Ten Commandments -- and you will find them mentioned nowhere in the Declaration of Indepence nor in the Constitution. Nowhere in either of those documents, or the other State Papers, will you find "thou shalt have no other Gods before me," nor about "remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy."
I did not have an opinion on whether the US was founded on the ten commandments. I said in my opinion they need to show it does.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
For myself, of course, I like the Ten Commitments of Humanism, Developed by the American Humanist Association's Centre for Education.

But of course, we couldn't put them on school walls -- nowhere do they say, "I will amass as much money as possible regardless of the cost to the planet or people and creatures on it."

The Ten Commitments

Altruism: “I will help others in need without hoping for rewards.”

Critical Thinking: “I will practice good judgment by asking questions and thinking for myself.”

Empathy: “I will consider other people’s thoughts, feelings, and experiences.”

Environmentalism: “I will take care of the Earth and the life on it.”

Ethical Development: “I will always focus on becoming a better person.”

Global Awareness: “I will be a good neighbor to the people who share the Earth with me and help make the world a better place for everyone.”

Humility: “I will be aware of my strengths and weaknesses, and appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of others.”

Peace and Social Justice: “I will help people solve problems and handle disagreements in ways that are fair for everyone.”

Responsibility: “I will be a good person—even when no one is looking—and own the consequences of my actions.”

Service and Participation: “I will help my community in ways that let me get to know the people I’m helping.”

Pogo

For myself, of course, I like the Ten Commitments of Humanism, Developed by the American Humanist Association's Centre for Education.

But of course, we couldn't put them on school walls -- nowhere do they say, "I will amass as much money as possible regardless of the cost to the planet or people and creatures on it."

The Ten Commitments

Altruism: “I will help others in need without hoping for rewards.”

Critical Thinking: “I will practice good judgment by asking questions and thinking for myself.”

Empathy: “I will consider other people’s thoughts, feelings, and experiences.”

Environmentalism: “I will take care of the Earth and the life on it.”

Ethical Development: “I will always focus on becoming a better person.”

Global Awareness: “I will be a good neighbor to the people who share the Earth with me and help make the world a better place for everyone.”

Humility: “I will be aware of my strengths and weaknesses, and appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of others.”

Peace and Social Justice: “I will help people solve problems and handle disagreements in ways that are fair for everyone.”

Responsibility: “I will be a good person—even when no one is looking—and own the consequences of my actions.”

Service and Participation: “I will help my community in ways that let me get to know the people I’m helping.”
We are going to run out of wall space real quick, I suggest we take down the copy of the Constitution to make room as it is redundant. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And where was it in all those countries you mentioned? Slavery was pretty ubiquitous everywhere till the 19th century.
Oh, I see. Yes, the Bible itself is not a bastion of morality. It also tends to be on both sides of many issues. That allows people to choose to believe what they want to believe. Slavery was not ended until people and governments became more moral. That had nothing to do with the Bible.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh, I see. Yes, the Bible itself is not a bastion of morality. It also tends to be on both sides of many issues. That allows people to choose to believe what they want to believe. Slavery was not ended until people and governments became more moral. That had nothing to do with the Bible.
I get your point, and I agree with much of it.