• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The US founders well recalled the Religious Wars in Europe, and the carnage they caused. They saw around them religious persecution even in the colonies. A wall of separation between religious and secular mandates was prudent.

Lately I see that wall breaking down. We risk repeating historical mistakes of the past. A Christian Republic could be as bad as an Islamic one.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
So you have always kept silent during the pledge of allegiance?
I do. I don't pledge anything to piece of cloth. I find the act bizarre, strange, something that surely is of a weaker, paranoid faith that needs constantant updating and reminding.
My allegiance, as far as anything like that goes, lies in the values and principles that America was founded on, things that have never been fully granted but are so precious we have never stopped fighting for them. You can destroy a flag. You can't destroy the idea that we are all created equal.
but my allegiance says not to disobey but to change.
SCOTUS and the law as written.
We also disagree here. Unjust laws are unjust and rightfully rebelled against. This is why so many have been imprisoned fighting for liberty. Not just here but abroad amd throughout history.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I stopped standing for the Pledge of Allegiance after 9/11. I don't agree with it. We just did it because that's what we were expected to do. It's not a legit oath.
Loyalty oaths went out of favor in most of the free world with the defeat of the Axis powers ~80 years ago -- except in the US.
Administrations and government policies change. We've seen liberal societies turn authoritarian and repressive before. Those who take an oath to a country, party, or person are honor-bound to remain loyal no matter how totalitarian, repressive or rapacious they become.

Countries change. Don't chain yourself to one. You're morally responsible for your own actions, even when your government or Captain orders you to perform them. Neither can take your sins upon themselves.
Be loyal only to principle.

anotherneil

OK, this is your opinion along with some rather radical penalties.
Thank you for providing me with your opinion, here.

Reality is they are entitled to their opinions no matter how vile in yours so long as they don't result in harm to others
And what if it does result in harm to others?

Do you think what they're doing isn't in fact harming others?

and the legal remedy is to vote them out of office or impeach them as appropriate for non-elected offices.
That's at least part of the legal remedy, and legal remedies can be changed.

Declaring people enemies of the state is an authoritarian solution and what the constitution / bill of rights is there to protect against.
Well then according to you, what this means is that when members of congress take the oath of office "to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic", it's an authoritarian solution and it goes against what the Bill of Rights is there to protect against. Interesting.

anotherneil

So you think making unconstitutional laws should result in a firing squad?
This thread isn't about me; I don't matter and what I think doesn't matter.

There is a constitutional process to deal with unconstitutional laws.
Yes, and that includes being able to make changes to that process too.

That is how a civil society deals with it.
Well for one thing, that depends on what a "civil society" is. What is a "civil society" and why is it necessary to bring this up? I haven't mentioned anything about a "civil society" in anything I've posted here.

Dave Watchman

Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

One religion to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!

Excellent news.

Thanks for this.

Another sign for 1969.

f2525e316d6ee52ba6f6954f4247c05d.1000x995x1.jpg

Peaceful Sabbath.

Last edited:

Clizby Wampuscat

This thread isn't about me; I don't matter and what I think doesn't matter.
Ok, then if this is true why are you here? I am just trying to get clarification on something you said.
Yes, and that includes being able to make changes to that process too.
Yes it does.
Well for one thing, that depends on what a "civil society" is. What is a "civil society" and why is it necessary to bring this up? I haven't mentioned anything about a "civil society" in anything I've posted here.
I agree, I said something about a civil society responding to your post. I should have said just society instead of civil society.

Dave Watchman

This reply is why people are fleeing Christianity. No one likes a perceived know it all. It's better to be good than to think you're right.

Maybe the ones who flee, were never really Christians to begin with.

Other people believe all sorts of nonsense, which is their right. I will stick to the truth.

Sticking to the truth is like saying you're sticking with Jesus.

"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. - John 14:6​

Jesus is The Truth.

Peaceful Sabbath.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe the ones who flee, were never really Christians to begin with.

Sticking to the truth is like saying you're sticking with Jesus.

"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. - John 14:6​

Jesus is The Truth.

Peaceful Sabbath.
How did you determine that?

Dave Watchman

Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom under a bill signed into law by Republican Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday.

The GOP-drafted legislation mandates that a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in "large, easily readable font" be required in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities. Although the bill did not receive final approval from Landry, the time for gubernatorial action - to sign or veto the bill - has lapsed.

One religion to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them!

Girl faints during Louisiana governor bill signing

Peaceful Sabbath.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
These are all good values that we should aspire to. My only issue with these is that is follows the pattern of the ten commandments. It is a response to them instead of just providing our values as humanists. They made sure there was ten of them to correspond to christianity. I think that was a mistake.
Probably right. What is best about them, however, is that they are all positive in nature, rather than the much more negative "thou shalt nots."

I much prefer the injunction to do what one knows is right, rather than to simply not do what one knows is wrong.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The last point I might agree on. Democracy has been in developmental stages for some time now. Not just in the states here, but other territories, which have become allies, and our cooperation is based on democracy, so the stage has gotten bigger. With this growth comes a need for greater State control. This limits the larger democracy and increases state majority power via democratic process. How this is going to play out moving forward is anyone's guess, but Louisiana has taken the initiative to represent State majority. This is a good thing in my opinion. Similar things have been common over the last several years with Marijuana reform. Anyway, the democratic pond has become a much larger body of water, so to speak. This likewise threatens other non-democratic territories. In other words, some issues seem trivial in contrast to the bigger picture and concern.
The Bill of Rights in the Constitution (Amendments 1-10) are expressly about preventing the tyranny of the majority over minorities (especially 9th Amendment). This has been a problem throughout human history -- if you were different, you were punished, booted out, shunned or what-have-you, and you simply had no recourse. The Bill of Rights makes it wrong (unconstitutional) for states to take upon themselves the restriction of individual rights.

While Louisiana might be predominantly Christian, there are also Muslims, Hindus, atheists, humanists and others living there, who may not want their children indoctrinated with simplistic biblical ethical rules, and the 1st Amendment guarantees them the right not to be so indoctrinated.

Dave Watchman

How did you determine that?
I'm smart, there's more to me than meets the eye.

I have a better question for you, or anyone else here. Why do you think this is happening now? Like the overturning of Roe/Wade after so many years. And the Bud Light/Target backlash. Why is it happening now?

Can you hear the fear in her voice when she's asked will this stick? She answers "I don't know.

Peaceful Sabbath.