• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm smart, there's more to me than meets the eye.
Since we can't see you at all, that's not actually saying much...
I have a better question for you, or anyone else here. Why do you think this is happening now? Like the overturning of Roe/Wade after so many years. And the Bud Light/Target backlash. Why is it happening now?
Why? Because Donald Trump and the Republicans in the Senate cynically and hypocritically stuffed the Supreme Court with unfit justices who would tow the Christian right line, that's why.

Surely you remember that McConnell and 11 Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee wouldn't even hold hearings on Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland to the Court, because "there's only 9 months left in his presidency," while not so long after, they happily took up Amy Coney Barrett with only 37 days left before the next election. Perhaps you might remember that Senator Lindsay Graham promised that if there were a Republican president in 2020, and a seat opened up on the Supreme Court, that he would let the next president make the nomination. “I want you to use my words against me,” he said at the time. Well, there was a Republican president during those 37 days -- and once again, for the ten thousandth time, he lied through smarmy teeth.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm smart, there's more to me than meets the eye.
Good -- so you'll answer the question?
I have a better question for you, or anyone else here. Why do you think this is happening now? Like the overturning of Roe/Wade after so many years. And the Bud Light/Target backlash. Why is it happening now?
What exactly does "happening now" refer to, the rising Christian nationalism, the growing authoritarianism?
By 'why', are you asking for historical causes, or are you more interested in 'how'?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Because for about 2000 years now those screaming they are a Christian the loudest are the most anti-Christlike among us.

Dave Watchman

Why? Because Donald Trump and the Republicans in the Senate cynically and hypocritically stuffed the Supreme Court with unfit justices who would tow the Christian right line, that's why.

Not bad. But why is it taking until now?

Surely you remember that McConnell and 11 Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee wouldn't even hold hearings on Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland to the Court, because "there's only 9 months left in his presidency," while not so long after, they happily took up Amy Coney Barrett with only 37 days left before the next election. Perhaps you might remember that Senator Lindsay Graham promised that if there were a Republican president in 2020, and a seat opened up on the Supreme Court, that he would let the next president make the nomination. “I want you to use my words against me,” he said at the time. Well, there was a Republican president during those 37 days -- and once again, for the ten thousandth time, he lied through smarmy teeth.

But why was it until June 24, 2022 that Roe/Wade was overturned.

And then the Bud Light/Target backlash in 2023.

The Bud Light/Target backlash didn't have anything to do with the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, or the Congress.

And now this with the 10 Commandments in the schools.

And a more subdued "pride" month:

A year after marketing turmoil, a more subdued Pride Month

Are you worried, like those women from the talk show, that some sort of tide is turning?

Just asking for a friend.

Peaceful Sabbath.

Dave Watchman

Because for about 2000 years now those screaming they are a Christian the loudest are the most anti-Christlike among us.

But that doesn't answer why are these things are happening now, after such a long run of people enjoying these alleged "freedoms".

The Bud Light/Target backlash didn't have anything to do with the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, or the Congress.

Peaceful Sabbath.

Dave Watchman

What exactly does "happening now" refer to, the rising Christian nationalism, the growing authoritarianism?
By 'why', are you asking for historical causes, or are you more interested in 'how'?

I'm asking for why you folks, the people of this forum, thinks these thing are happening at this point in history?

Peaceful Sabbath.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The Bill of Rights in the Constitution (Amendments 1-10) are expressly about preventing the tyranny of the majority over minorities (especially 9th Amendment). This has been a problem throughout human history -- if you were different, you were punished, booted out, shunned or what-have-you, and you simply had no recourse. The Bill of Rights makes it wrong (unconstitutional) for states to take upon themselves the restriction of individual rights.

While Louisiana might be predominantly Christian, there are also Muslims, Hindus, atheists, humanists and others living there, who may not want their children indoctrinated with simplistic biblical ethical rules, and the 1st Amendment guarantees them the right not to be so indoctrinated.
In a classroom the 10 Commandments could indeed be part of a coercive effort (by the state) to compell children to follow any of several religions.

Religious attendance should never be required, encouraged nor discouraged by the state. The state should not even keep track of where and when you attend or how often, much less encourage where you attend or if.

The exception is when you are compelled to appear in court. Under those specific circumstances it is reasonable to require attendance.

Pogo

Excellent news.

Thanks for this.

Another sign for 1969.

f2525e316d6ee52ba6f6954f4247c05d.1000x995x1.jpg

Peaceful Sabbath.
1962 and maybe you want to listen to the song again before you say "Excellent news"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Are you under the impression that cases get to the Supreme Court without going through multiple levels of jurisprudence before getting there? You think seating a Justice means they walk in the door and say, "let's take up Dobbs, okay?"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm asking for why you folks, the people of this forum, thinks these thing are happening at this point in history?

Peaceful Sabbath.
Perhaps it's because it's taken this long for trhe Republican Party to purge sufficient numbers of their membership with any shred of decency left. That's usually how it's done when the drift towards authoritarianism is underway.

Last edited:

Pogo

Are you worried, like those women from the talk show, that some sort of tide is turning?

Just asking for a friend.

Peaceful Sabbath.
Because as the Right Wing is so fond of saying, our morals are declining, unfortunately it is true in that there are many who wish to go back to the pre-enlightenment morals that were what this country was founded to overcome.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Maybe the ones who flee, were never really Christians to begin with.

Sticking to the truth is like saying you're sticking with Jesus.

"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. - John 14:6​

Jesus is The Truth.

Peaceful Sabbath.
Maybe some were not really committed, but many were. Who wants to be part of a religion that doesn't make people act like their teacher? Some people who love Jesus just don't want to be part of a religion that doesn't seem to be transformative.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
But that doesn't answer why are these things are happening now, after such a long run of people enjoying these alleged "freedoms".
We have more freedoms because we decided that no more will the Church decide civil policy. Except in America, where we are loosing freedoms largely because of the Evangelical, Religious Right, so-called Moral "majority" doesn't like to share and demands and screams all of society be brought under heel in accordance to their dogma and tyranny.

Dave Watchman

1962 and maybe you want to listen to the song again before you say "Excellent news"
What's 1962? The tune was written in 1968, released in 1969, like Bad Moon Rising and Spirit in the Sky.

The excellent news is for the people who know 1969.

Graham Nash explains his inspiration for the song in his 2013 autobiography:

The origin of the song came from my recent infatuation with art. I had begun collecting photographs around that time, powerful images that had an emotional effect on me. One, in particular, was a Diane Arbus image of a boy in Central Park. It spoke volumes to me. The kid was only about nine or ten years old, but his expression bristled with intense anger. He had a plastic grenade clenched in a fist, but it seemed to me that if it were real the kid would have thrown it. The consequences it implied startled me. I thought, ‘If we don’t start teaching our kids a better way of dealing with each other, humanity will never succeed.’

Peaceful Sabbath.

Dave Watchman

We have more freedoms because we decided that no more will the Church decide civil policy. Except in America, where we are loosing freedoms largely because of the Evangelical, Religious Right, so-called Moral "majority" doesn't like to share and demands and screams all of society be brought under heel in accordance to their dogma and tyranny.

You had more freedoms since 1973, until 2019 and now.

But if it is, as you say, the Church deciding civil policy, why are they given the power to do that? And especially at this particular time now?

Peaceful Sabbath.