• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Time, effort, patience, perseverance and suffering of the 49 states who are not subject to religious displays seems a very good start to me. At least one state has the freedom to represent their culture, even in their classrooms.
Since we're talking about federally funded public schools and colleges, I think you meant our schools.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Since we're talking about federally funded public schools and colleges, I think you meant our schools.
Yes, they are our schools. Those schools in Louisianna belong to them also. I am on board with what they are doing.

Viker

Yes, they are our schools. Those schools in Louisianna belong to them also. I am on board with what they are doing.
I'm not on board. If they were to put them in with history classes and keep the disclaimer they have about it's history, maybe. Not every classroom. That smells like an attempt at religious indoctrination.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I know you like to get in the last word
images.jpg

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I'm not on board. If they were to put them in with history classes and keep the disclaimer they have about it's history, maybe. Not every classroom. That smells like an attempt at religious indoctrination.
I believe the culture in that area is predominately Christian or Abrahamic, which would very likely accommodate for the display and intent. I read that some on the opposing side who filed suit against the state are Jewish, but I think the disagreement was trivial in nature pertaining to the specifics of wording, specifically in reference to those Jewish residents if I remember correctly. I'll look it up in a few. I found it an odd thing. I'm curious how this might play out. It almost reminds me of the Palestinian state struggle and Israel. Land is a valuable thing.

Edit: Law Suit

Last edited:

Viker

I believe the culture in that area is predominately Christian or Abrahamic, which would very likely accommodate for the display and intent. I read that some on the opposing side who filed suit against the state are Jewish, but I think the disagreement was trivial in nature pertaining to the specifics of wording, specifically in reference to those Jewish residents if I remember correctly. I'll look it up in a few. I found it an odd thing. I'm curious how this might play out. It almost reminds me of the Palestinian state struggle and Israel. Land is a valuable thing.
The fact that Louisiana is predominantly Christian is irrelevant. They already have their homes, churches and private Christian schools. This is not about Christians expressing their religion or practicing it. It's about certain Christian legislators imposing what they already willing have onto the the rest of Louisiana who are not Christian. Keep it at church or in your own house. Talk about it in public in a proper context at an appropriate time.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
The fact that Louisiana is predominantly Christian is irrelevant. They already have their homes, churches and private Christian schools. This is not about Christians expressing their religion or practicing it. It's about certain Christian legislators imposing what they already willing have onto the the rest of Louisiana who are not Christian. Keep it at church or in your own house. Talk about it in public in a proper context at an appropriate time.
I think it's about culture, the citizens, and the inclusion of religion as opposed to those who oppose religion. That and an understanding that federal funding is part of this effort, also.

Pogo

Yes gods have been mentioned by deists and others, they also made it obvious that Religious law was not the basis of what they wrote.]

As an atheist I often say god dammit that does not indicate a belief in a god but only a cultural predilection toward accepting the norms and common expressions of society.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
This is what I see as constitutional. In 1776, this nation declared independence from British rule and developed a structure from which we derive our policies and decisions as a people. I would expect reasons to be provided that compelled the Supreme court to allow Louisiana to dissolve such ties that once bound them and has now enabled them to enact this law in their State. I'm sure there are many reasons.

At one time, and for over 200 years this freedom was honored in the schools and even our text books. Within the last 40 or so years, these freedoms were stripped from those who honor them. Going back to 1776 I learned something about the intent, so I expect a reason to be offered for the dissolution effort.

Edit: Also, what you seem to be missing in your suggestion is intellectual honesty, if only for the reason that only one state is allowing this while the other 49 have not yet made this type of effort as a majority per state, which means that Atheists are being honored in 49 of our 50 and our Christian base is being honored in 1 and every other religion is being honored in none.

Yet, you somehow deem it something selfish. I'm curious, would you prefer to live in a blue state with people who are more so likeminded than those in Louisiana or would you prefer to live in Louisiana where certain ties have been dissolved, enabling them to pass the law?
For a big part of Americas history we didn't really have school, especially not as we think of today or even during "pioneer days." 'Twas even a time that if you went to school (and that was a mighty big if) your teacher might be deadbeat drunk who's failed at everything else. Could be some disabled person who previously did whatever (probably farming) and now just needs something to do. At most youd learn the very basics of reading, writing and elementary mathematics (there were some good teachers who taught more and benefited the community, but those were very few and far between).
And you can't forget the Enlightenment was happening when America gained Independence and Christianity didn't hold a very privileged position then as it does today. It wouldn't gain this deeply favored status until the Revivals of the mid-19th Century, amd would be strongly reinforced during the Cold War but only as something to further divide and artificially widen and already artificial chasm between the USA and USSR. In other words, it was a tragedy we we were so divided we hindered our own progress over these differences by being stupid about it and making the effort to highlighting them with a neom sign.

Viker

I think it's about culture, the citizens, and the inclusion of religion as opposed to those who oppose religion. That and an understanding that federal funding is part of this effort, also.
I don't oppose religion. I have my own. I am also theistic. I also know that my religion is not very popular. I don't mind that. No big loss on my part

I do oppose compulsory religious indoctrination. I do oppose religion meddling too far into others, unwilling, lives and definitely public education.

I fully support secularized government that rules on behalf of all of it's citizenry. Not the rule of majorities. Not the rule of minorities. The rule of law for all citizens. I also support secular education for all citizens. You know. The ABCs and 123s. Religious education can and should only be a private matter.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
The 1st Amendment is “incorporated”, ie, it applies to all states too.

Exactly right. The 14th amendment established what had been merely assumed earlier--that the state legislatures cannot contravene civil rights guaranteed by Constitutional law.

My take on this controversy is that there should be a federal law requiring the Bill of Rights to be posted in all state legislatures across the country, and the First Amendment should be put in enlarged boldfaced font and the establishment clause underlined.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I don't oppose religion. I have my own. I am also theistic. I also know that my religion is not very popular. I don't mind that. No big loss on my part

I do oppose compulsory religious indoctrination. I do oppose religion meddling too far into others, unwilling, lives and definitely public education.

I fully support secularized government that rules on behalf of all of it's citizenry. Not the rule of majorities. Not the rule of minorities. The rule of law for all citizens. I also support secular education for all citizens. You know. The ABCs and 123s. Religious education can and should only be a private matter.
I can't argue the points. I agree. I still agree with the decision.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
The 1st Amendment is “incorporated”, ie, it applies to all states too.
Thats the issue, right? We'll see what happens. I support religious people and I I'll disagree that all religious literature should be kept out of schools. History is part of education, it's part of world politics, also. It's part of sociology, and it's part of human dynamics and human psychology, along with world government, and government structures. Either way, I agree with the decision and see it as an exercise following an example set in 1776. This wouldn't be a full dissolution, but one that reflects citizenship in that state best. The same could be done all over this nation with various religions, which would show no bias from our federal law makers. It also secures freedom from religion, but better serves to allow freedom of religion in this nation. I don't imagine it to be an easy thing to achieve, so local involvement would be required to make it happen. The 49 states are still anti religion secure in schools, so most states probably wouldn't take the effort upon themselves.