• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana becomes first state to require that Ten Commandments be displayed in public classrooms

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I do think that slavery can be very political but I have never said spiritual leaders should not comment on it.
Then we are back to the fact that the Bible does not condemn slavery. The lauded sacred ten commandments does say thou shall not kill, but fails to say thou shall not enslave your fellow human. And saying it is "political" is no excuse for this omission.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I admit that I've never been troubled by that concern, but there are certainly a great many Americans who would think it well within their means. Again, I am comforted by the thought that jail terms would be a greater deterrent than lack of means. Lots of folks probably own pets without thinking about the cost of maintaining them.
I would totally be an abolitionist if given the choice because I don't believe I'd like to be a slave and don't want to own any myself.

Kathryn

Then we are back to the fact that the Bible does not condemn slavery. The lauded sacred ten commandments does say thou shall not kill, but fails to say thou shall not enslave your fellow human. And saying it is "political" is no excuse for this omission.
OK then you do you. Like I said above, I'd go by the Golden Rule most likely and condemn most slavery. I wouldn't necessarily condemn servanthood because I feel like that's different.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
OK then you do you. Like I said above, I'd go by the Golden Rule most likely and condemn most slavery. I wouldn't necessarily condemn servanthood because I feel like that's different.
I find it strange that we never have battles like this trying to get the golden rule into classrooms.

My sister is actually a teacher (6/7 split) and she has a poster in her classroom of all the different versions of the golden rule in her classroom. Looks something like this:
1719334494564.png

But I think serving people is a noble way to live your life, and we don't respect that enough in our society. Whether you are waitstaff, or a cleaner, or whatever.

Indentured servitude is something else entirely and I do condemn that. There is a reason our society does not allow indentured servitude.

Kathryn

I condemn both.

How come god doesn't?
How come God doesn't condemn slavery? He doesn't involve Himself with it either way.

I don't condemn servanthood and I believe it differs from slavery. But strangely, the KJV bible (which I don't read other than online for ****s and giggles) uses the term "slavery" or "slave" for like fifteen different words, ranging in meaning from "beloved House Servant" to "Servant" to "Field Hand." I find that odd.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How come God doesn't condemn slavery? He doesn't involve Himself with it either way.
He certainly does according to what the Bible says, as we've been discussing in the thread for a few pages now.

I don't condemn servanthood and I believe it differs from slavery. But strangely, the KJV bible (which I don't read other than online for ****s and giggles) uses the term "slavery" or "slave" for like fifteen different words, ranging in meaning from "beloved House Servant" to "Servant" to "Field Hand." I find that odd.
Both are immoral in my opinion.

I don't care what specific word is used. The way it's described - where you get to choose your slaves from the nations around you, how much they're worth, how you can great them, how long you own them, etc. etc. - is a description of slavery, and the slave trade. Call it whatever you want, it's slavery - the owning of a human beings as property. That is what is described in the Bible.

Kathryn

He certainly does according to what the Bible says, as we've been discussing in the thread for a few pages now.

Both are immoral in my opinion.

I don't care what specific word is used. The way it's described - where you get to choose your slaves from the nations around you, how much they're worth, how you can great them, how long you own them, etc. etc. - is a description of slavery, and the slave trade. Call it whatever you want, it's slavery - the owning of a human beings as property. That is what is described in the Bible.
The bible also discusses indentured servanthood and other forms of being a servant vs. a slave. To me, there's a big difference.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The bible also discusses indentured servanthood and other forms of being a servant vs. a slave. To me, there's a big difference.
I wonder how the American people would feel if they could be forced into seven years of hard labour if they miss a payment on their credit card.

I shouldn't say things like this because the way the U.S. is headed it could happen.

Kathryn

I wonder how the American people would feel if they could be forced into seven years of hard labour if they miss a payment on their credit card.

I shouldn't say things like this because the way the U.S. is headed it could happen.
There are so, so many different forms of servanthood vs. slavery.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
The states are secular entities, so why use them to push religion?

And what if some legislators pushed the Muslem Five Pillars of Faith to be mandatory in all public classrooms?
That's my point. I would suggest that if a body of people within a state wanted something like that in their own schools, they would put in the effort to get it done, which would equalize the playing field and set the stage for a truer freedom of religion in this nation. Atheist don't need to concern themselves with it, they are already honored across the board. The peaceful assembly would be in play for the state votes and also petitions would need to be made for the effort itself. If not, then Louisianna will remain the only state who chose this route. Florida is doing something similar. States gathering together those likeminded peaceably, like an assembly, in an effort to obtain greater freedom to practice their specified faiths or religions together and to have similar displays included in the school systems that best reflects the states citizen base.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
And there it is, 2 perspectives -- and the heart of the disagreement.
So, is everyone in this nation truly free to practice their faith? In work places? In restaurants? If not, this isn't true religious freedom. This is an absence of that truer freedom, but ... assemblies are protected by the constitution. Birds of a feather flock together after all. The point is we're guaranteed religious freedom, we have the right to assemble, and we have a right to a voice to make laws that we deem best fit to secure our happiness. What state will I assemble to? I mean if this actually takes place, I'll follow the flow of those who think most like myself.

Kathryn

Yes, and the Bible doesn't condemn any of them. It specifically commands one form for Hebrew men, and other forms for women and foreigners.
It neither condemns nor condones. It simply states a reality. Throw in The Golden Rule and there you have it.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It neither condemns nor condones. It simply states a reality. Throw in The Golden Rule and there you have it.

Leviticus 25:1
25 The Lord said to Moses at Mount Sinai, ...

Leviticus 25:44-46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

That's god telling his chosen people how to do slavery.

Kathryn

It flat out condones it. As I just finished pointing out.

You should give it a read.

Leviticus 25:1
25 The Lord said to Moses at Mount Sinai, ...

Leviticus 25:44-46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

That's god telling his chosen people how to do slavery.
Sorry. Slavery was a very common practice back then. I was discussing the New Testament.