• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luck or Chance?

To an extent, I can agree. But, because we have the ability to make choices, our destiny is not a constant, it is always changing - a story to be written. Its momentum is determined by its author, therefore, it can't be a determining force in and of itself - it's fluid.

It's driven by the desires, choices and assertions of its master.

If I wasn't required to act to meet such destiny, then I'd be more apt to buy that destiny is a legit concept. But, I've found that luck and chance are absurd in the regards that anything worth while is something that I've had to act upon or work for. Therefore, I've worked towards a "destiny" of my own making.

I used to believe in destiny, until I realized that all I've hoped for and wanted in my life, I pursued. My life is mine. All of my romantic thoughts about life...that I'm destined for this and that is bs. It's what I make it. I'm fortunate to have the beautiful people in my life to share with, but I'll always have a responsibility for acting upon that which is important to me.

If I was destined to be where I've been at certain places in my life...destiny sucks. I prefer to take responsibility for making poor choices.

Hi again Dawny,

If one has free choice, then is one not precisely where one desires to be?
Is swampy daft?

best,
swampy

Quite certainly! Destiny is generally thought of to be predetermined and inescapable. Not necessarily the case for luck or chance.

Hey dustin,

In either case, does choice matter? Or, is it that destiny/chance determines where one is?

best,
swampy

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Hi again Dawny,

If one has free choice, then is one not precisely where one desires to be?
Is swampy daft?

best,
swampy

In certain situations, yes. But I couldn't tell a close frend of mine that she was destined for breast cancer.

I suffer from several ailments and I refuse to accept that I'm destined to suffer from them. I find that notion to be cruel. It's far easier for me to accept that it is what it is and I have an obligation to do what's needed to take care of myself.

There's an ugliness in my opinion, to subscribing to a belief system that one would be destined to be unhappy or unhealthy. Maybe I'm daft, but it's easier for me to process choice, consequence and perseverance in a different light.

Last edited:

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Can you distinguish between those three? I have no idea how fortune differs.

I'd say luck is a statistical anomaly in favor of the individual. When it happens frequently, that person is considered "lucky". Chance is randomness introduced by nature. Fortune is when luck has given a person a pleasant fate. Perhaps, I'm just making it up as I go along...IDK. I figure that since they're different words, they must have different meanings. I'm too lazy to type them into google and look for the dictionary definition. Plus its more fun to speculate. :D

Nichole_R

I don't believe in luck, I believe in God's favor for me. Basically Romans 8:28 in everything. And I've seen it, too.

In certain situations, yes. But I couldn't tell a close frend of mine that she was destined for breast cancer.

I suffer from several ailments and I refuse to accept that I'm destined to suffer from them. I find that notion to be cruel. It's far easier for me to accept that it is what it is and I have an obligation to do what's needed to take care of myself.

There's an ugliness in my opinion, to subscribing to a belief system that one would be destined to be unhappy or unhealthy. Maybe I'm daft, but it's easier for me to process choice, consequence and perseverance in a different light.

Hi dawny,

My point between the two extremes (destiny/choice) is that both are concepts and we project them within that realm, but they are not of being. It is always now and one is always here.

just more daftness,
best,
swampy

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Hi dawny,

My point between the two extremes (destiny/choice) is that both are concepts and we project them within that realm, but they are not of being. It is always now and one is always here.

just more daftness,
best,
swampy

Hi Swampy,

I prefer the word destination over destiny - if that makes any sense. I do see your point.

No daftness perceived. Best wishes returned.

Edit: I found a quote that well sums my thoughts on the subject (not that I accept destiny in the literal sense):

Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

William Jennings Bryan

http://quotesheart.com/Quotation-Topics/Destination-Quotes-Destination-Sayings-One-Liners

Everything else is something to be handled along the way.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Hey dustin,

In either case, does choice matter? Or, is it that destiny/chance determines where one is?

best,
swampy

I don't really see the differences between the two, anymore. You have a will, and you will use it. Don't know how free that is though.

I don't believe in luck. I believe in statistics.

The limit of statistical analysis is the lack of an extant future, the corruption of statistical analysis is the agenda of the statistician. You need a new god. Set, perhaps? ;)

I do not believe; I have will, and I use it. 'Random' occurrence is education. "Luck and Chance" are the paeans of the weak to a universe where information is strength; i.e. no education is occurring. :p

I often hear people asking, "Do you believe in luck?" and it always makes me wonder what they mean by "luck", and what to answer to it when they ask such a question.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Do you believe in luck? That is, do you think chance favors (or disfavors) some people at times? Why or why not?

I believe that luck is the emotional interpretation of life events and their associated statistics. I think ones psychology will go along way to determining the 'luck' a person experiences in their life.

I think the person who feels unlucky will more likely walk past a 20 note on the floor and not notice it to pick it up, than the person who feels lucky. So not only is it an internal assessment or disposition, but i think it has a knock on effect on how you actually live your life, making it more meaningful to the life of a human being than mere random chance probabilities. In that sense it has meaning.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Do you believe in luck? That is, do you think chance favors (or disfavors) some people at times? Why or why not?
I believe some people tend to defy the odds for better or worse. That could be seen as luck but sometimes it is skill or lack of.

Also you can't have much of any sort of luck if chances aren't taken. You can't win or lose the lottery if you don't play.