• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lula da Silva Defeats Jair Bolsonaro in Hard-Fought Election

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Lula da Silva has defeated far-right Jair Bolsonaro in the second and final round of the Brazilian presidential election:

Brazil Election Live Results Second Round 2022: State Map, Presidency, Congress

Major congratulations to Brazil on shunning the hateful, anti-science politics of the far right that has led to significant loss of life during the pandemic and destruction of portions of the Amazon.

It is concerning that Bolsonaro has gotten as many votes as he has, but now Brazil has time to hold him accountable for his corruption and contribution to death. It is a relief to see that Brazil has done the same as France, Germany, and recently the UK in increasingly snubbing the far right.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
When one barely defeats neofacism, congratulations may be a bit premature.

It's the difference between thunderous applause and a tenuous sigh of relief.

I have come to believe that what may seem a given to some voters will not necessarily be so to others. A fascist promising a subset of struggling people relief, falsely or not, sometimes has intense appeal to them and, consequently, powerful electoral presence. Such seems to be the lifeblood of populism nowadays.

I hope the left wing in Brazil and other countries studies and addresses the reasons for this appeal more deeply and manages to win over voters who may buy into false promises despite having potential to be swayed either way.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I have come to believe that what may seem a given to some voters will not necessarily be so to others. A fascist promising a subset of struggling people relief, falsely or not, sometimes has intense appeal to them and, consequently, powerful electoral presence. Such seems to be the lifeblood of populism nowadays.

I hope the left wing in Brazil and other countries studies and addresses the reasons for this appeal more deeply and manages to win over voters who may buy into false promises despite having potential to be swayed either way.
I think I'd rather see Centrists start to carve out a political presence that leaves the extremes out in the cold...just sayin'...:D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It was awfully close, and it will be a very grievous road ahead. There are just way too many fascists here.

But it will happen.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I'd rather see Centrists start to carve out a political presence that leaves the extremes out in the cold...just sayin'...:D

The left and right wings don't have to be extreme. I think it is an incorrect assumption to say that centrism would necessarily be better or less extreme.

A centrist who believes in a "compromise" between fascism and minority rights is far more extreme, in my view, than most on the left are.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It’s amazing IMO,it’s a win and a (fingers crossed) new start for Brazil,i’ll look forward to Luis Danat thoughts on it.
Frankly, I am appalled that it took this long for Bozo to finally be stopped - and by such a tiny margin.

It is very much a necessary event. But it lampshaded how deeply decayed out moral and political frames are.

There will be a lot of pain going ahead. I sort of have to hope so.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Lula da Silva has defeated far-right Jair Bolsonaro in the second and final round of the Brazilian presidential election:

Brazil Election Live Results Second Round 2022: State Map, Presidency, Congress

Major congratulations to Brazil on shunning the hateful, anti-science politics of the far right that has led to significant loss of life during the pandemic and destruction of portions of the Amazon.

It is concerning that Bolsonaro has gotten as many votes as he has, but now Brazil has time to hold him accountable for his corruption and contribution to death. It is a relief to see that Brazil has done the same as France, Germany, and recently the UK in increasingly snubbing the far right.

Such great ****ing news for Brazil! This election has made my day. A bit disturbing, though, that so many folks there voted for the neofascist, Trump wanna-be. There is some hope for the rainforest!

Brazil's Lula da Silva wins fiercely contested presidential run-off vote | CNN

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This video made 2 years ago by Economics Explained channel is about the economy of Brazil. In the first five minutes it explains that until 1985 Brazil was controlled by a fascist government which was replaced. The current president elect was its first president who lost the previous election mostly due to economic troubles. The first president Lula DaSilva lost his seat but has won it back, now.

Economics Explained is a channel which discusses the impact of economic decisions, places nations into a leaderboard of economies and ponders the future of these countries. Brazil is considered to be the 9th or 8th largest economy on the globe.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Relief for the weary. I hope that the time between now and inauguration is peaceful.

A lot of the Western lefty types (that I've read) are optimistic about Lula's ability and intentions. I don't know enough to be confident either way but if I was a betting man I'd wager that if he attempts anything that could address the issues that are pushing large groups of people towards the fascistic then the markets will sink Brazil's economy in days.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How much of a fascist was he? People seem to call anything they dislike fascism so I just wanted to know.
While he has many supporters here in Brazil, he is very fascistic indeed.

Mainly, he likes to present himself as a "man of the people attempting to preserve and restore traditional values" despite repeatedly showing no respect for anyone or anything, let alone traditions or values.

Oh, and he is also an almost compulsive liar, victimist, thug, corrupt and corruptor.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The current president elect was its first president who lost the previous election mostly due to economic troubles. The first president Lula DaSilva lost his seat but has won it back, now.
This is incorrect. Lula was not the first post-military junta President, or even came particularly soon in the list. There were four others before him: Sarney, Collor, Itamar and FHC. That is leaving aside Tancredo Neves, who was elected by never served due to a sudden illness from which he never recovered.

List of presidents of Brazil - Wikipedia

Also, while the 1964-1985 regime was very questionable indeed, in some respects Bolsonaro exceeded their faults by impressive margins. He is both more corrupt and more autocratic than any of the military presidents ever attempted to be. Arguably, than any ruler in known Brazilian history, even the Monarchs.

He is certainly the most destructive in living memory.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Relief for the weary. I hope that the time between now and inauguration is peaceful.

A lot of the Western lefty types (that I've read) are optimistic about Lula's ability and intentions. I don't know enough to be confident either way but if I was a betting man I'd wager that if he attempts anything that could address the issues that are pushing large groups of people towards the fascistic then the markets will sink Brazil's economy in days.
That does not sound very likely at all.

If anything, I suspect and fear that Lula will simply not find a lot of room to make significant changes. Bolsonaro has damaged our institutions something fierce.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I expect a strong political response from the Right. Violence wouldn't surprise me.
If things do quiet down and Lula assumes power, I expect resistance to his every move -- by a very powerful, wealthy and influential right wing coalition of business, military and police.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I expect a strong political response from the Right. Violence wouldn't surprise me.
If things do quiet down and Lula assumes power, I expect resistance to his every move -- by a very powerful, wealthy and influential right wing coalition of business, military and police.
Unfortunately, that is a very real possibility.

The military is at best conflicted. Bolsonaro gave them a lot of questionable financial advantages and undue power.

Congress has been, to put it simply, bought off. In impressively abusive ways.

Enterpreneurs lost their sense and their ethics both.

And our police forces are very highly milltarized. A holdover from the 1964 era that was never properly corrected.