• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Male Rape

Qhost

Exercising Thought
This is the second thread I'm writing for the Men's Issues DIR here (yeah, writing, not copying and pasting, silly staff :beach:!) and it deals with Male rape. This is second in a series I am making for this DIR of the core issues men face. The current other one is False Rape Allegations.

How many times have you heard that men cannot rape a woman because 'he has to get an erection'? Or how many times have you heard that a man 'must have enjoyed it anyway'? Probably not very often since frankly, rape isn't a topic many talk about. But I, who frequently engage with the topic a lot hear this all too often, luckily there are some who still recognize it as an issue. But ignoring the radical statements, comments like 'The vast majority of rape is male-on-female' or 'Rape is a gendered crime' happen too often.

MRA consider this to generally be false, and see problems with the perceived prevalence of male rape (women on male and male on male), the response by people (the knee-jerk reactions mentioned above) and also the law.

So how common is it?
MRAs use this study by the CDC in 2010 to show what they consider to be blatant wordplay to lower the amount of male rape victims. Consider page 18, table 2.1. For women over a 12 month period there is an estimated 1,270,000 victims, with a weighted percentage of 1.1%. Now observed table 2.2 one page down for men. There's a new row just for men called 'made to penetrate'. This has an estimated victims in a 12 month period of 1,267,000 - and a weighted percentage of 1.1%. Here is an image describing it for the visual learner.

This 'made to penetrate' is what MRA consider to be wordplay to downplay the amount of male rape. Consider if there was a female option 'made to open legs' or 'made to allow penetration' I think everyone, myself included would count this as rape. This is a common theme among statistics to lower how many men are raped. There also seems to be an effort to inflate the women rape stats, as evident by the obviously false '1 in 4' stat. All this contributes to the erroneous perception of male rape.

A more shocking discovery was that once you accept this, if you also accept the estimates for prison male on male rape which is notoriously hard to find out, then it turns out that men are raped more than women in the USA. I will probably be updating this bit as the sources are escaping me at the moment.

Male Rape and 'Gender Roles'
When a male is raped by an attractive woman (say, he wakes up to a girl riding him) - he is considered by many to be a 'lucky guy' by both sexes alike. When he is raped by an ugly woman, it's considered by many to be 'comedy' and 'funny'. Anyone active in MRA will see that this is far more common than they would believe (and another reason MRA acts as a support group). MRA's consider this to be false and damaging to the awareness of the seriousness of male rape.

'He had an erection, so he wanted it' - this statement is as redundant as saying 'She orgasmed, so she must have enjoyed it' or 'she was wet, so she must have wanted it'. Like the involuntary lubrication which can happen when a women is raped, involuntary erections also can happen.

And in general, even when people accept male rape, it is often considered not to be as bad as female rape, as if there is some score-board out there. In my other thread False Rape Allegations you can see vigilante mobs beat men just because they think that they raped someone. I have never heard of vigilante justice happening when a male accuses a female of rape. (NB: Vigilante justice should not happen either way, I am just pointing out the double standard)

The Law
MRA's oppose gendered law where only a man can commit an act of rape. Some examples...

• United Kingdom MRA consider (1)a to be sexist.
  • Northern Ireland Same as above.
  • Scotland (1) to be sexist.
  • Isreal No inclination regarding the possibility of it being the other way around.
  • New Zealand
  • There are several USA states which hold the same issues as the above, however it is difficult to hunt down each states individual law, nevertheless, I shall update this.
  • There are also comments regarding that despite the laws saying 'he' a women can still be charged. This is fair enough, although MRA argues the wording does not help public perception.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Under several state laws, the only a female may be a victim of rape and only a male a perpetrator however, the same punishment results under some form of sexual assault. Before we criticize how this definition affects men, please also note in some states a husband cannot rape a wife Anson order for any rape to have occurred there must be a threat of violence in some states. So, the legal definition of rape is not the common definition of rape. so do males lack the same legal recourse as females? No. But there might be an argument to the labeling affecting the perception of rape. But many feminists have worked to alter the legal definitions in order to include males and include spousal rape.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Simplistically, the problems that male rape survivors face stems from the popular notion that rape is a crime of sex, when it never had been and never will be. Rape stems from power and control.

It is why young male survivors of statutory rape by an older woman (and especially if she is seen as physically attractive) is dismissed as any sort of crime, no matter how the survivor feels.

It is why any man who is assaulted by a woman is responded to as if it was consensual sex. It is a deplorable consequence of the misconception that rape is a crime of sex.

I, for one, am very supportive of the efforts by the MRA to bring awareness to this issue of male survivors of rape. Nearly 100% of the time, these survivors have nowhere to go to and no one to turn to and feel they have absolutely no voice.

Kerr

This is the second thread I'm writing for the Men's Issues DIR here (yeah, writing, not copying and pasting, silly staff :beach:!) and it deals with Male rape. This is second in a series I am making for this DIR of the core issues men face. The current other one is False Rape Allegations.

How many times have you heard that men cannot rape a woman because 'he has to get an erection'? Or how many times have you heard that a man 'must have enjoyed it anyway'? Probably not very often since frankly, rape isn't a topic many talk about. But I, who frequently engage with the topic a lot hear this all too often, luckily there are some who still recognize it as an issue. But ignoring the radical statements, comments like 'The vast majority of rape is male-on-female' or 'Rape is a gendered crime' happen too often.

MRA consider this to generally be false, and see problems with the perceived prevalence of male rape (women on male and male on male), the response by people (the knee-jerk reactions mentioned above) and also the law.

So how common is it?
MRAs use this study by the CDC in 2010 to show what they consider to be blatant wordplay to lower the amount of male rape victims. Consider page 18, table 2.1. For women over a 12 month period there is an estimated 1,270,000 victims, with a weighted percentage of 1.1%. Now observed table 2.2 one page down for men. There's a new row just for men called 'made to penetrate'. This has an estimated victims in a 12 month period of 1,267,000 - and a weighted percentage of 1.1%. Here is an image describing it for the visual learner.

This 'made to penetrate' is what MRA consider to be wordplay to downplay the amount of male rape. Consider if there was a female option 'made to open legs' or 'made to allow penetration' I think everyone, myself included would count this as rape. This is a common theme among statistics to lower how many men are raped. There also seems to be an effort to inflate the women rape stats, as evident by the obviously false '1 in 4' stat. All this contributes to the erroneous perception of male rape.

A more shocking discovery was that once you accept this, if you also accept the estimates for prison male on male rape which is notoriously hard to find out, then it turns out that men are raped more than women in the USA. I will probably be updating this bit as the sources are escaping me at the moment.

Male Rape and 'Gender Roles'
When a male is raped by an attractive woman (say, he wakes up to a girl riding him) - he is considered by many to be a 'lucky guy' by both sexes alike. When he is raped by an ugly woman, it's considered by many to be 'comedy' and 'funny'. Anyone active in MRA will see that this is far more common than they would believe (and another reason MRA acts as a support group). MRA's consider this to be false and damaging to the awareness of the seriousness of male rape.

'He had an erection, so he wanted it' - this statement is as redundant as saying 'She orgasmed, so she must have enjoyed it' or 'she was wet, so she must have wanted it'. Like the involuntary lubrication which can happen when a women is raped, involuntary erections also can happen.

And in general, even when people accept male rape, it is often considered not to be as bad as female rape, as if there is some score-board out there. In my other thread False Rape Allegations you can see vigilante mobs beat men just because they think that they raped someone. I have never heard of vigilante justice happening when a male accuses a female of rape. (NB: Vigilante justice should not happen either way, I am just pointing out the double standard)

The Law
MRA's oppose gendered law where only a man can commit an act of rape. Some examples...

• United Kingdom MRA consider (1)a to be sexist.
  • Northern Ireland Same as above.
  • Scotland (1) to be sexist.
  • Isreal No inclination regarding the possibility of it being the other way around.
  • New Zealand
  • There are several USA states which hold the same issues as the above, however it is difficult to hunt down each states individual law, nevertheless, I shall update this.
  • There are also comments regarding that despite the laws saying 'he' a women can still be charged. This is fair enough, although MRA argues the wording does not help public perception.
I have a hard time to imagine a man getting raped by a woman. My brain just have a hard time to see how it could happen. I know it does happen, though. The part about having a hard time to imagine it is just another showcase of the issue you describe. Guess many cultures are fast to regard women as victims and men as the guilty party... but not the other way around. Its a sad reality and I fully support any work done to counter that, even if my brain is too sexist to be able to imagine it :p.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
UK Law regarding rape:

Rape

(1) A person (A) commits an offence if—
(a) he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,
(b) B does not consent to the penetration, and
(c) A does not reasonably believe that B consents.

I do think it should be changed. Under this, really, it's hard for it to be considered rape, because it does look like rape requires a penis.

(a) a person intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his or her genitals, fingers, or an object or intentionally makes another person (B) use his or her genitals, fingers, or an object to penetrate himself or herself (A).

I'm not sure about (c). Part of me says it should be removed. Part of me says it would be abused if removed. I was a juror on a rape trial, so I know how messy (c) is...

Alceste

Vagabond
Canada's laws use the concept of sexual assault, generally defined as any sexual contact without mutual consent. I think that's a better model. The whole concept of rape has way too much baggage in the public mind.

Here, if you read that someone was convicted of sexual assault, there's know way to know whether it was a bit of ***-grabbing or a full on penetrative assault. Frankly, I don't wanna know. The more precisely you define the crime, the more potentially titillating detail you're offering to pervy voyeurs.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
(B) use his or her genitals, fingers, or an object to penetrate himself or herself

I would think it would be pretty rare that a rape from start to finish ONLY involved that.It could be part of it.I can definately see under force/threat being made to do those things against your will is sexually violating.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Well just like with murder /homocide there are different charges. Something can be a sexual assault but not be considered "rape".

Even with rape ..there is aggravated rape 1st degree..2nd degree rape etc..

I think aggravated is when you are beaten not just raped or a weapon is involved(gun to your head /knife at your throat) or you are drugged by the offender etc..

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Canada's laws use the concept of sexual assault, generally defined as any sexual contact without mutual consent. I think that's a better model. The whole concept of rape has way too much baggage in the public mind.
Would you feel the same way about redefining the charges laid for what are currently rapes of women to be charges for sexual assault instead?

I am not just talking about how they are represented in the media (we have that convention here in Australia too) but rather legally

Alceste

Vagabond
Would you feel the same way about redefining the charges laid for what are currently rapes of women to be charges for sexual assault instead?

I am not just talking about how they are represented in the media (we have that convention here in Australia too) but rather legally

We don't have "rape charges" in Canada. Only "sexual assault charges". Gender neutral, baggage free and not particularly controversial or titillating. That's what you want IMO. It should be boring, as far as the media, the public and the courts are concerned.

Alceste

Vagabond
A valid point (was just seeking to clarify rather than an attempted barbed dig)

Yep, just clarifying. I didn't take it as a dig. I think the trouble with "rape" as a legal concept is that many people have a very vivid and immovable idea of what that is, and that idea is very different from what it actually is in all but the tiniest minority of sexual assault cases.

Rape myth acceptance (that wrong, fixed and narrow idea of what a rape is) has all kinds of negative social consequences. Those who subscribe to it are more likely to commit sexual assaults, less likely to report one if they are assaulted, and less likely to convict if they are jurors.

Karl R

I have a hard time to imagine a man getting raped by a woman. My brain just have a hard time to see how it could happen. I know it does happen, though.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (the original Swedish movie) will give one example of how it could occur.

The movie shows two rapes as part of a subplot. In the first, a male antagonist forcibly rapes a female protagonist. In the second, she turns the tables and rapes him back. Both crimes are clearly acts of power/control/violence against the other person.

For an example of a gender-free statute:
Surprisingly, Texas law has no gender bias.

It's not a perfect set of laws, but if I wake up in the middle of the night to find my wife performing oral sex on me, the law would recognize that as a sexual assault.

Would someone explain how a woman could rape a man? I just...can't see it. Also, I can't see why a woman would do it when she could probably go into the streets and get paid for it (I'm not trying to be sexist here, but it's true). I guess it's happened, but...It can't be often o__o

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What I find weird is that some women on RF feel a need to comment on the topic.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Would someone explain how a woman could rape a man? I just...can't see it.
Erections are not exclusive to sexual arousal; it can occur through involuntary means from various stimuli. It's an automatic response.

All that needs to be done is to make a man's penis erect, if it was not already (e.g., at night) and to, um, use it. A bit of a spoiler, but

It happens in the movie 'Super', and I think it happens in 'Norbit', though I haven't seen Norbit.

Also, I can't see why a woman would do it when she could probably go into the streets and get paid for it (I'm not trying to be sexist here, but it's true).
Maybe she's obsessed with this guy.

I guess it's happened, but...It can't be often o__o
Probably more than you think, and even more than is reported.

Kerr

Would someone explain how a woman could rape a man? I just...can't see it. Also, I can't see why a woman would do it when she could probably go into the streets and get paid for it (I'm not trying to be sexist here, but it's true). I guess it's happened, but...It can't be often o__o
I wouldnt be surprised if many men just dont mention it because they feel ashamed to be raped by a woman, so I think it happens more often then we like to think. It is hard to imagine, though. But that says more about us then anything else.

Kerr

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (the original Swedish movie) will give one example of how it could occur.

The movie shows two rapes as part of a subplot. In the first, a male antagonist forcibly rapes a female protagonist. In the second, she turns the tables and rapes him back. Both crimes are clearly acts of power/control/violence against the other person.
I have seen the movies and read the book. It was one of the parts I was... uncomfortable... with :p. But at least I understood why she did it.

For an example of a gender-free statute:
Surprisingly, Texas law has no gender bias.

It's not a perfect set of laws, but if I wake up in the middle of the night to find my wife performing oral sex on me, the law would recognize that as a sexual assault.
Thanks, might take a look later.