• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

masturbation anyone?

gseeker

conflicted constantly
Well sorry to hear you have to work, I would love to hear your explanation in detail and to continue this conversation. Good chatting with you. I would love to hear more of your concept of Satanism.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I think generally speaking sex is better but masturbation will work.

Masturbation can help physiologically and there are many studies which conclude this. However, Chronic Masturbation can harm physiologically, emotionally, cognitively and socially. There are also many studies to prove this. In general, however, sex is always better. Again there are many studies which prove this. here is one.

Levin R. Sexual activity, health and well-being – the beneficial roles of coitus and masturbation. Sexual & Relationship Therapy [serial online]. February 2007;22(1):135-148. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed July 24, 2012.

gseeker

conflicted constantly
Of course in that context sex is better with someone you love but is sex with someone you don't love harmful or is masturbation then to be considered harmful? Aren't they just all steps on the same ladder the only difference is the impact of the experience. That doesn't answer why religions are against masturbation.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
There is no rational, substantiated basis for the notion that masturbation is harmful. I don't understand why people in the modern world are still taking sex advice from ancient goat herders to begin with.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
There is no rational, substantiated basis for the notion that masturbation is harmful. I don't understand why people in the modern world are still taking sex advice from ancient goat herders to begin with.
um...
Because NO ONE understood God better than they did?
I mean come on, they even wrote the book on it...(literally)

Koldo

Outstanding Member
But many others sources show that even moderate masturbation is bad for mental and spiritual health.

The wonders of being vague.

I mean just doing something physical just for the sake of physical pleasure or not doing something for the sake of spiritual pleasure becomes meaningless.

Ultimately, it is you who give meaning to any and every experience.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
But many others sources show that even moderate masturbation is bad for mental and spiritual health.
really?
What studies would those be?

Seems to me you are relying on studies that have to do with addictions and or studies that are more than ten years old.

Of course, all the claims in the world over "spiritual" health are just that, claims.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Actually, it's by no means clear that Judaism prohibits masturbation. There is nothing in the Torah that directly prohibits masturbation, and the Rabbis of the Talmud discourage the practice because they dislike "spilling seed" without trying to use it to get pregnant. But they don't prohibit it outright, and they certainly don't prohibit other ways of "spilling seed" that don't result in pregnancy, like infertile couples having sex, or married couples having oral or anal sex. Post-Talmudic authorities have generally discouraged the practice, but have generally not forbidden it unilaterally. Although it does convey ritual impurity, that is essentially meaningless, since ritual purity laws only come into play when there is a Temple standing, and there hasn't been one in two thousand years. Modern rabbis in non-Orthodox movements universally permit masturbation; some Modern Orthodox rabbis say that it is discouraged, but better to masturbate than to have impermissible sexual relations. It is usually only the Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) communities that universally and unilaterally prohibit it.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What is healthy about masturbation? I'm not saying it's unhealthy.

As for me, I think masturbation is completely fine.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
Well sorry to hear you have to work, I would love to hear your explanation in detail and to continue this conversation. Good chatting with you. I would love to hear more of your concept of Satanism.
Okay, well I think masturbation can be good for you on a physical, mental/psychological and spiritual level. It is part of your internal fine tuning process; just as a maestro fine tunes his/her instrument so we need to fine tune our bodies to get our balance and harmony right and to express ourselves in our best and most natural tone.

Pleasing ourselves sexually is honouring ourself at a very basic level.It is acknowledging our sexual nature. It offers an opportunity to learn more about our own tastes, desires and pleasures and thus helps us to grow as individuals. It is also training for pleasing ourselves and others in sex.

It is also a type of meditation. Just like more traditional forms of meditation, sexual activity tends to cut us off from the cares and worries f everyday life, it can focus and alter our state of mind. It can lead to feelings of transcendence, euphoria and/or connection with the universe, deity or whatever our philosophical or spiritual beliefs lead us to think exists alongside or beyond our normal reality.

gseeker

conflicted constantly
Okay, well I think masturbation can be good for you on a physical, mental/psychological and spiritual level. It is part of your internal fine tuning process; just as a maestro fine tunes his/her instrument so we need to fine tune our bodies to get our balance and harmony right and to express ourselves in our best and most natural tone.

Pleasing ourselves sexually is honouring ourself at a very basic level.It is acknowledging our sexual nature. It offers an opportunity to learn more about our own tastes, desires and pleasures and thus helps us to grow as individuals. It is also training for pleasing ourselves and others in sex.

It is also a type of meditation. Just like more traditional forms of meditation, sexual activity tends to cut us off from the cares and worries f everyday life, it can focus and alter our state of mind. It can lead to feelings of transcendence, euphoria and/or connection with the universe, deity or whatever our philosophical or spiritual beliefs lead us to think exists alongside or beyond our normal reality.

Makes sense, how ever I would hardly call masturbation a form of meditation, you'll have to explain that one. As for it highlighting sexual desires a person has wouldn't you say that with enough sex and masturbation your sexual desires get stranger and strangers to to point that a person becomes too kinky? Just wondering what your thoughts are on that after all I first became sexually active at age 8. Either way I've always been taught that masturbation is evil so a meditative quality would be hard to find. Also most religions seem to be against it and I can guess why satanist would say it is a good thing because isn't Satanism about physical fulfillment? Where is the spirituality in that or does Satanism believe that you achieve spiritual fulfillment through physical fulfillment? I'm afraid I don't know much about your faith or antifaith. My satanist friends didn't really talk much about what they believe.

gseeker

conflicted constantly
The Bible is silent on the subject.

The Bible is not silent on it. You aren't to spill your seed anywhere other than into your wife. Old testament. The new testament speaks against both fornication and lust. Fornication being anything other than sex with your wife and sex being self explanitory.