• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men need more sex than women - right?

riley2112

I'm sorry that it needed to be you who unleashed this rant, but this is a bit of a peeve of mine. I really don't understand. Why does a man need to "feel like a man" at all? Isn't a man something someone just is? There is nothing wrong with being feminine if you're a woman. What shame is it if a man isn't masculine (let alone if a man doesn't feel masculine)? Why do we need to feel like we are "good little members" of our assigned gender?

I have absolutely no need at all to "feel like a man". Actually, I usually feel insulted when someone calls me "masculine". I'm not saying I'm not masculine, or that there is anything wrong with being male, but I still cringe whenever anyone makes the connection. It's probably why I don't have my gender listed (though I will volunteer it when appropriate, and leap on the opportunity when it involves breaking stereotypes). That's partly because there is almost nothing remotely flattering about the way masculinity is presented in popular culture. But more importantly, it's because men are supposed to live up to these expectations of what a man is supposed to be, or..."not be a real man" (oh the horror!) This would be fine, but the social cost of not doing so can sometimes be serious. Grown men crying is usually treated as a joke in comedies.

Taking stupid risks is another example. This is a very negative trait, but for some reason, men often do things that are undeniably stupid, whose only reward is a cheap rush (like risky sex or physical risks), so they can "feel like men". But hold on...why would you have a desperate desire to do something stupid, and feel ashamed if you were too cowardly (smart) to be stupid? If a man refuses to do said stupid thing, it predictably leads to other men challenging their masculinity (a compliment?), and calls for them to "prove they are men". If they don't, the "manly men" punish them socially, and when those same "manly men" are challenged by women for their own stupid behavior, they admit to it, and even admit that it is stupid, but claim they can't help it "because they are men". And yet they expect "beta males" to desperately want to be like them? If anything, gluing the male identity to doing stupid things should make men resent masculinity, not make them want to be stupid...but what do I know?

I'm not saying men ought to loathe themselves, of course, or that masculinity is inherently negative (mostly because I do not, in fact, happen to believe doing stupid things is an essential part of being male). But to me that's the logical response to this BS social pressure. (Yeah...that stuff about men being the more logical gender makes me lol. Also, I find that some men's obsessions with being "manly" ironically makes them look weak...like they are a slave to their physical urges and insecurities. But again, what do I know?:rolleyes:)

Again, sorry this had to be in response to your post. I'm not suggesting you are "that" type of man, but I'm a little sad, for your sake, that you feel this pressure (there is nothing wrong with having frequent sex, obviously, just not for the sake of "feeling like a man"). That line of thinking has tended to be detrimental to the well being of men...being an important factor in the male/female life expectancy gap.

If we're talking "psychologically", I think men's typical approach to sex implies the opposite - if, of course, it implies anything at all. Men seem to be able to separate romantic love and sex more easily than women. Most of us feel it's better when they go together, and obviously we have a strong need for romantic love too, but in a study done a while back most men said they would have sex with an (attractive) total stranger if she offered it. This might come under the "stupid risk" category, of course, but regardless of its wisdom, it lends credence to the idea. If that's the case, wouldn't something purely physical like masturbating suffice? (Or do you count that as "sex"?) Not as good, but it gets the job done. Once men have masturbated, the sex drive tends to go away.

Having friends is a psychological need. Not working every waking hour is a psychological need. Take them away from a 20 year old male (or anyone at all), and you will see major emotional and mental problems. Take sex away, and you might get some antsiness, but if everything else in his life is going well, chances are he will still be well adjusted. I had sex only once between the ages of 18-22. (I'm 22 now, though, so there's hope still ;)). Had some chances in high school, but was too shy. Like I said, I'm shy, awkward, not very bold...decently good looking but not good at playing the dating game. I would have liked to have had more sex, but I didn't suffer in the least for not getting it. Sex is fun, but there are things in life that are much more important to me.
wow. you seem to be confusing what a man is to what Hollywood says a man is. I know of no men that feel that they have to be stupid in order to prove themselves. However I do know of some young boys that may feel that way. I am a man. I am masculine as that is how God made me. I have never felt offended by anyone that said I was. You may want to rethink this or turn off the t. v.

wow. you seem to be confusing what a man is to what Hollywood says a man is. I know of no men that feel that they have to be stupid in order to prove themselves. However I do know of some young boys that may feel that way. I am a man. I am masculine as that is how God made me. I have never felt offended by anyone that said I was. You may want to rethink this or turn off the t. v.

Yes, that's exactly right. Most men are not like this, because this is not an innate part of masculinity. I'm just talking about the "alpha males" who pressure men into taking stupid risks, not most men. But they sure like to feel they speak for most men. Universal generalizations (all men are like this, blah blah blah) are pretty much a dead giveaway a man is the type of guy I'm talking about.

No man feels they need to be stupid. No one wants to be that. These alpha males just logically realize that the risks "testosterone" (or whatever they choose to blame) tells them to take don't really make sense, but it's important to them to act the way they do, so they tell women they are just being "stupid men" as a kind of passive aggressive trick. This is the main reason many men act so negatively towards their own sex: "oh, you're right honey, men don't listen, men are so messy, men are such loathsome creatures, blah blah blah" ... sometimes they believe what they say and sometimes they don't, but usually the main purpose is just to get women to stop questioning them (maybe this is not your experience, and I'm very glad that it's not, but I have seen it many times outside Hollywood ;) ).

This can take on any form, but it always comes down to accusing a man of being "un-masculine" as an attempt to motivate them to do something. Never mind that giving into such a cheap emotional appeal is practically the definition of weakness. That's basically what my post was about, and what really bothers me: the perceived need to feel masculine (whatever that even means), and the exploitation of this apparent drive to get men to act foolishly.

atropine

Somewhere Out There
For men, feelings don't really come into it a great deal - ie: if the woman looks good that is enough.

As a man, I'd have to say that's not true. I need more than looks-- if someone doesn't have a brain, common interests, etc, then I might as well not even bother.

I think sex drives are entirely individual, and not terribly related to gender or sex. Maybe men tend to have more libido than women, but I have met women who have a very intense and high libido. As for cheating, I never approve of cheating... I approve of polyamorous and polygamous relationships, as long as they are healthy and honest. If a person with a really high libido works it out with their partners that they need more than one partner can deal with, and agree that the high-libido person can sleep with other people, then that's not cheating.

Men don't need sex any more than women do, but some men and some women might need sex more than other men and other women. I think both men and women have the right to be promiscuous... I don't think being promiscuous is a bad thing, unless it starts hurting people and people aren't being careful about STDs.

I don't need to have sex to feel like a man. What does "feeling like a man" even mean? I feel like a man all the time, because I am a man. If I need to get my macho on, I can go fix something or lift some weights or whatever.

And women needing to "get sown"? Hahaha. What about people who are asexual? Lesbians? Hell, gay men? This stereotype you've got going on pretty much ignores people who naturally have little to no libido and gay people.

I will say, though, that for some people... sex is a very important part of intimacy. I couldn't date an asexual, because sex to me is very important for feeling close to my boyfriend. That doesn't mean ALL men or women NEED sex to be healthy and happy, but some do need sex to have a satisfying relationship.

Anyhow. Point being, not all people need or don't need anything. It's individual.

Me Myself

Back to my username
ok , some good comments so far.

Perhaps feelings are easier to focus on.

For men, feelings don't really come into it a great deal - ie: if the woman looks good that is enough.

doesn't seem to work like that as much the other way round though.

Perhaps, because of this, men feel it is not so bad if they cheat as it's only 'physical'.

o.0

For me feelings are more important than the sex. Furthermore, I think sex should be the climax of the feelings. While I have no problem with feelingless sex, and while feelings may well even be stronger in other moments, the situation still is that I wouldn´t feel okay having sex with anyone but my current gf.

Stop talking about "men" as if it were all of us. I feel honestly insulted.

This is plain discrimination.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Depends on the man. And age seems to be a big factor, too. Older men (in their 40s and beyond) seem to place a greater emphasis on "feelings" than younger men, especially men in their late teens and early twenties.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Depends on the man. And age seems to be a big factor, too. Older men (in their 40s and beyond) seem to place a greater emphasis on "feelings" than younger men, especially men in their late teens and early twenties.

It depends again who you're talking about (think sugar daddies *shudders* I think these men never grow up, lol). My husband and I are very young and already married, we certainly did not start out talking to each other based on looks (it was on the internet - on a forum not dating website). Personality and common interests came first then we posted pictures eventually. Sure it's nice to be attracted to each other but sex is much better when feelings are involved, we both agree on.

And yeah just for reference I'm 22 and he's 26, we've been married for 1 year and 4 months. Well the lesson here is that EVERYONE is different. I've never been what people think of the typical 20-somethings and my husband either. I'm sure we're not the only ones. (We know a couple of our age who are married as well.)

That's what great about people, we are all different. Life would be so boring if we were all stereotypical. If men were like the OP describes, I would probably been a lesbian, hehe. :flirt:

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Logically, one gender can't have sex with more partners than the other anyway, despite long-standing stereotypes. To help illustrate, here's an article explaining the math:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/weekinreview/12kolata.html

"In study after study and in country after country, men report more, often many more, sexual partners than women."

"But there is just one problem, mathematicians say. It is logically impossible for heterosexual men to have more partners on average than heterosexual women. Those survey results cannot be correct."

In addition to a math lesson, it's interesting to see how persistently people lie in surveys.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Logically, one gender can't have sex with more partners than the other anyway, despite long-standing stereotypes. To help illustrate, here's an article explaining the math:

"In study after study and in country after country, men report more, often many more, sexual partners than women."

"But there is just one problem, mathematicians say. It is logically impossible for heterosexual men to have more partners on average than heterosexual women. Those survey results cannot be correct."

In addition to a math lesson, it's interesting to see how persistently people lie in surveys.

I don't know whether this is true, but I heard it's mostly the women doing the lying -- they under-represent the number of sex partners they've had due to the "**** stigma". But I myself imagine it could just as easily be both sexes doing the lying.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I don't know whether this is true, but I heard it's mostly the women doing the lying -- they under-represent the number of sex partners they've had due to the "**** stigma". But I myself imagine it could just as easily be both sexes doing the lying.

The article speculated that both sexes lied, and that maybe it's not exactly lying. It touched on perception and memory, and how if a man said he had two sexual partners, maybe one of those partners was real and one was imaginary. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The article speculated that both sexes lied, and that maybe it's not exactly lying. It touched on perception and memory, and how if a man said he had two sexual partners, maybe one of those partners was real and one was imaginary. :D

I don't know about the imaginary. I'm pretty sure it was actually Angelina Jolie that night -- even if it was dark and there were eight other guys in the room.

Seriously, that's quite interesting. I've begun to become aware of how much my memories can mislead me. About everything, not just sex partners. I am no longer as confident in memories as I once was.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

How many of these men are not admitting that some of their sexual partners are other 'heterosexual' men? :D

lovelopez

Well from my experience and from what I have gained from talking with all of my female friends is that It's a big misconception that men want sex more often. All of us could go two three times a day everyday and our men want it like once a week or less. None of us are by any means remotely unattractive, and we are most definitely talented givers. We just don't understand. I feel that we are the normal ones and that they just need to get their libidos in check.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I`d say almost no one NEEDS sex.

(with the exception of a pair of female school principals (most of which I would not volunteer to satisfy (I know I am not a good human being) ) )

otokage007

Like most of the male mammals, men increase their biological effectiveness by increasing, not only the number of copulas, but also the number of females he can copulate with. Women, on the contrary, increase their biological effectiveness by having protection and resources for their children, but gain nothing copulating with a lot of men. In fact, among most mammals, when a female is caught copulating with a "secret lover", her partner will abandom her, because he can no longer tell if the children will be his. Females also benefit from competition between males (which happens a lot among boys!) because if she chooses the "best" male, her biological effectiveness is greatly enhanced.

So yes, biologically, men promiscuity and infidelity is kind of justified. As it is male competition. However, all this is "instinct" and "DNA orders", probably "most mammals" can't fight against that, but I think we are intelligent enough to overcome both.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Like most of the male mammals, men increase their biological effectiveness by increasing, not only the number of copulas, but also the number of females he can copulate with. Women, on the contrary, increase their biological effectiveness by having protection and resources for their children, but gain nothing copulating with a lot of men. In fact, among most mammals, when a female is caught copulating with a "secret lover", her partner will abandom her, because he can no longer tell if the children will be his. Females also benefit from competition between males (which happens a lot among boys!) because if she chooses the "best" male, her biological effectiveness is greatly enhanced.

So yes, biologically, men promiscuity and infidelity is kind of justified. As it is male competition. However, all this is "instinct" and "DNA orders", probably "most mammals" can't fight against that, but I think we are intelligent enough to overcome both.

SO wrong from start to finish, my dear. You're arguing from a patriarchal perspective. Female promiscuity has very distinct evolutionary advantages....only one of them is procuring children from one type of man who has stronger physical genes while also having sex with another type of man who is the better father figure and displays patience and love to children.

That's just ONE evolutionary advantage for promiscuous women. There are more, but you're gonna have to take off those Patriarchy Rules! brand sunglasses to see clearly. ;)

Me Myself

Back to my username

Actually, female that double play male have also had good or great evolutionary advantages. I remember one of them being they could have one male for giving her genes and the other one for providing for her and her progeny. The provider believes he is the father poor he.

In any case, the real reason we should not be adulterous wheter men or women is to not be ******* ******** :)