• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's Issues/Masculism DIR

Should we have a Men's Issues DIR?

• Yes

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

ignition

To sum up my opinion on this whole thing:

• I personally don't really care whether or not there's a Masculist DIR, and I don't see myself posting there much (if at all). However, if enough members want one, then I support creating it for them.

• I don't think it's "unmanly" to want to talk about men's issues in a restricted or exclusive forum. I believe that's completely fine as long as the DIR isn't used to bash others outside the DIR, as I have repeatedly stated in this thread.

• My concern had to do with some posts that seemed to bash feminism in this thread. If the proposed Masculism DIR is used to post similar things rather than discuss men's issues and is mainly perceived to be a "response" to the Feminist Only forum, then I can foresee problems both with its usefulness and productivity.

So, I'm not opposed to the idea of the DIR itself, and I don't know how having a concern that it might be used to bash feminism based on posts I've read in this thread translates to "I don't want the DIR because feminism already covers those things" or "Men shouldn't be able to discuss their issues or voice their opinions in a new DIR."
Yep. We need a forum for the big boys. What are you anyway, male or female? Both? Neither?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
All the strawman arguments about the "feminism bashing" has convinced me that there absolutely is a need for a men's issues DIR (or whatever you want to call it).

Me Myself

Back to my username
All the strawman arguments about the "feminism bashing" has convinced me that there absolutely is a need for a men's issues DIR (or whatever you want to call it).

I was thinking likewise...

Really astonishing honestly.

ignition

I'm a male.

What does that have to do with the post you responded to, though?
It doesn't have anything to do with it, it's just a question mate. I like to know who I'm talking to, particularly if they're male or female because it influences the way I interact with them on the forum, you know what I'm saying?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't have anything to do with it, it's just a question mate. I like to know who I'm talking to, particularly if they're male or female because it influences the way I interact with them on the forum, you know what I'm saying?

Okay...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To sum up my opinion on this whole thing:

• I personally don't really care whether or not there's a Masculist DIR, and I don't see myself posting there much (if at all). However, if enough members want one, then I support creating it for them.

• I don't think it's "unmanly" to want to talk about men's issues in a restricted or exclusive forum. I believe that's completely fine as long as the DIR isn't used to bash others outside the DIR, as I have repeatedly stated in this thread.

• My concern had to do with some posts that seemed to bash feminism in this thread. If the proposed Masculism DIR is used to post similar things rather than discuss men's issues and is mainly perceived to be a "response" to the Feminist Only forum, then I can foresee problems both with its usefulness and productivity.

So, I'm not opposed to the idea of the DIR itself, and I don't know how having a concern that it might be used to bash feminism based on posts I've read in this thread translates to "I don't want the DIR because feminism already covers those things" or "Men shouldn't be able to discuss their issues or voice their opinions in a new DIR."

This pretty much articulates my opinion, too.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Can I request if there is a masculanism thread, it's green, please?
I don't/can't identify as a 'masculanist' with any degree of honesty. But some men's issues (male health issues, perhaps) might be worth posting in.

If it's purple, I'll be as likely to post there as in the feminist forum (which is not very likely, but occasionally people make really good threads and I kinda...ignore the rules...ahem...)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yes it is.

No it isn't. (We can do this all night contradicting back and forth, but I suggest a bottle of merlot to go with it)

My bad. It's all the men(unless you want to call them boys) who don't identify themselves as feminist.

How about all the people who don't identify as feminists? There are women who don't either. Why think that only male non-feminists who need you as their spokesperson?

oh gee. guess I'm not feminist enough because I haven't read any of those authors. Not that I care for any of them. Stanton is a personal favorite of mine and I am beginning to like Stuart Mill.

I think the Feminist Only forum has links to free e-readings of Stanton and a few of First Wave writers. That's cool that you've read some of her work and appreciate it.

I'm offering an opportunity to learn about feminism and it's history to those who really want to learn. Approaching feminists with a chip on one's shoulder tends to get an earful from me, though, and especially when the position is from willful ignorance and personal bias.

You really have been hiding behind your rose-colored glasses haven't you?
you really have been ignoring rev rick haven't you

You really think he speaks for all of feminism? Or you think he speaks for me? Rick and I have our disagreements, and I respect him for all his curmudgeonly wonderful self. But he doesn't speak for me. Take it up with him.

No what ticked me off is the attitude that any talk of Feminism is an attack on Feminism and ,therefore, should be nipped in the bud.
I don't wholly disagree. But neither do I see a need to constantly state that men have no issues unless a woman says he has issues.

Any talk, no. But maybe it isn't the sarcasm that ticked you off. Maybe you're ticked off because you think I and anybody else you see as feminists don't care about men or men's issues here at RF. I will ask the question just for clarification...do you see feminists generally as man-haters? If you do, it's no wonder why you reacted the way you do.

:rolleyes: I have been on this forum for YEARS. This recent battle is the only battle I have seen concerning feminism. And you want to know what I have seen? NO? Well I'm going to tell you anyway.
What I have seen is one side asking questions and the other side saying "deal with it." (Yes, I have said it myself). I have seen no understanding in the questions. Only sarcasm and condemnation that such a question dared to be ask and "'you' should know the answer anyways, so shut up and stop attacking us." Just as you did to me and my question concerning the male ego and radical feminism.

Hey look....If you felt my quote of your post was an attack, then I should point out that's a clear indicator there's more to the story of what you're seeing that is simply not there. I quoted your post to show that questions regarding the necessity of a Masculist Only forum are being bred from a reactionary position to feminism, and not entirely due to simply wanting to discuss male rights and protections.

If you feel I have misrepresented your position by not seeing feminism as the enemy, by all means correct me. But if I have stated that your position is that feminism is causing a lot of problems, are a bunch of man-haters, and don't care about men and their concerns, then I don't think you can legitimately say that my quote of your post concerning radical feminism and how it might hurt the male psyche is an attack.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Can I request if there is a masculanism thread, it's green, please?
I don't/can't identify as a 'masculanist' with any degree of honesty. But some men's issues (male health issues, perhaps) might be worth posting in.

If it's purple, I'll be as likely to post there as in the feminist forum (which is not very likely, but occasionally people make really good threads and I kinda...ignore the rules...ahem...)
The same request was made of the feminist forum, and was received with scorn, ridicule, and rage. Does that mean if we made the male issue forum green it would be more "equality embracing" than the feminist one? :D

Before a storm of feminist rage descends, the last sentence is a joke if you didn't get it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The same request was made of the feminist forum, and was received with scorn, ridicule, and rage. Does that mean if we made the male issue forum green it would be more "equality embracing" than the feminist one? :D

Before a storm of feminist rage descends, the last sentence is a joke if you didn't get it.

I'd be there if y'all served alcohol and offered lap dances.

dust1n

Zindīq
Also found the claim of RF sanctioned matriarchy hilarious. How many of the staff are female in comparison to male? How often are they even present when decisions are made?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If this thread was an identifiable section of my brain, I'd shoot it.

You're still invited to the party with alcohol and lap dances, though. Just don't listen to Sunstone when he tries to get you a lap dance and he promises to pay for it.

Trust me on this.

dust1n

Zindīq
You're still invited to the party with alcohol and lap dances, though. Just don't listen to Sunstone when he tries to get you a lap dance and he promises to pay for it.

Trust me on this.

It's going to take at least that to make me forget this discussion ever happened. :D

Me Myself

Back to my username
Hey, don't fret. Lap dances are a lot like sex (obviously, but hear me out). It isn't about how well one performs, but how much fun, confidence, and connection is present to make it good.

That`s easy for you to say, you are a dance instructor.

You probably even have a soul or some other kind of shiny that helps you move hips to melody :eek: