• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mexico, U.S., and Canada as one nation?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
A friend of mine mentioned to me earlier that apparently bush was able to convince the Canadian and Mexican Governments to join with the United States as one nation. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if there is any truth to this statement or if there is anything you have heard on this matter. If it is true then do you think it's a good idea, what are the possible consequences, good and bad, of such a thing occurring?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have heard similar rumors, but you have my personal assurance, this will never happen. One common market, perhaps; one country... never. Mexico and Canada would never relinquish their soverignty to become American states. Canadians would not allow a sitting government to pull this one off. Not a chance.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Why do you think it will never happen?
1. The idea is ludicrous.
2. George Bush could not convince Barney to run to Laura at this juncture in time.
3. Canada and Mexico are not likely to ever relinquish their soverienty to the United States.
4. Prime Minister Harpo... errr Harper leads a minority government that could be ousted from office at any time. It simply would not matter if he agreed to this or not. He simply would not be able to sell the idea to Canadians. Impossible, in fact.
5. There is no compelling reason for all three countries to combine, period. We rather like American and Americans, but we have no desire to be Americans.
6. Given America's track record in recent years in regards to foreign policy it is unlikely that any government in their right mind would want to be tarred by the same unsavory brush.
7. If America wanted to become a rather large province of Canada, then we might think about letting you join up, but such a merger would come at great cost to the American people as it would spell the end of many beloved American institutions.

Need I go on?

DavyCrocket2003

I would be totally cool with it. But what would our name be? The United States of America would be fitting but I don't think Mexicans or especially Canadians would like that. Can't really blame them. Boy that would be awesome if we could combine all three nations into one. I think it would be nothing but good for all three of us. But, like the mouse pointed out, this would never happen.

DavyCrocket2003

If America wanted to become a rather large province of Canada, then we might think about letting you join up, but such a merger would come at great cost to the American people as it would spell the end of many beloved American institutions.

In reality, we would have to meet somewhere in the middle. Would it be acceptable if each state became a province? Or maybe every three states? I could go for that idea.

BillBo

I am glad that on 'that side of the Atlantic' idiotic ideas surface as well as on ours.

Why would anyone want to join three sovereign nations these days?

Think of the negatives, even such things as the loss of two votes in the UN, loss of monetary control, loss of national laws, etc., etc.. It would even mean the loss of democracy, we have experienced here in the UK and in other parts of the oh so wonderous EU (cough). The only way laws can be made is by giving up rights for others to gain, in itself a noble gesture, but when hoisted upon peoples by faceless EU officials who are responsible to no unified electorate it becomes dictatorial.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
It would explain why no one will build us a fence on the border. In theory it sounds tempting. Canada is rich with raw materials. Mexico has tons of labor. But at what cost?

Our sovereignty.

But personally I think we headed for a very bad crash economically and this will be done to save the economy.

Fluffy

A fool
NoahideHiker said:
It would explain why no one will build us a fence on the border.
Surely it is the cost of that fence that is the main motivator? The wikipedia page notes that this issue has been the target of conspiracy theories. What isn't these days eh?

NoahideHiker said:
But personally I think we headed for a very bad crash economically and this will be done to save the economy.
It wasn't necessary last time although it looks better than what did happen last time.

OutOfTime

North American Union (becomes the american union to include central&south america)+ european union + asian union + african union and I don't know what else in the future = one world government

if you read into the north american union without using your own old intuitions then you'll figure out how real the north american union is. don't be so quick to write off everything as a conspiracy theory, sometimes it's a conspiracy fact.

Smoke

Done here.
A friend of mine mentioned to me earlier that apparently bush was able to convince the Canadian and Mexican Governments to join with the United States as one nation. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if there is any truth to this statement or if there is anything you have heard on this matter. If it is true then do you think it's a good idea, what are the possible consequences, good and bad, of such a thing occurring?
Stephen Harper is an idiot, but not that much of an idiot.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
terrible, terrible thing. Aren't we too close to this right now with NAFTA? That's worked out great. Anyway, I also heard that Germany, France, England and Spain were all joining too. But there were too many inconsistancies. Germany and England wanted to drink beer all day long, Spain wanted to drink sangria and France wanted to eat cheese and complain all day long.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I would be totally cool with it. But what would our name be? The United States of America would be fitting but I don't think Mexicans or especially Canadians would like that. Can't really blame them. Boy that would be awesome if we could combine all three nations into one. I think it would be nothing but good for all three of us. But, like the mouse pointed out, this would never happen.
I don't know, those Mexicans are a little strange, no? What with their big hats, their fetish for trumpet troupes, and those worms at the bottom of bottles.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Fat chance of that happening any time in the near future.

From many people I know that have travelled to Canadia, they say that it's a very similar country to NZ socially, culturally, and politically. So from this end of the world, I'd expect a huge uprising against it from the people.

OutOfTime

canada's not that much like new zealand, it's more like America (i live close to the border near Detroit). most parts of new zealand except big cities are in a time-warp...it's like travelling 10-20 years back in the smaller places there.

anyways, it doesn't matter if the ppl will allow it to happen, they'll be brainwashed into accepting it. just like with the iraq war, now everyone's against it but before there wasn't much opposition. the North American Union is a very real thing...read up on that if you don't believe it but the official news sources won't mention it, not yet anyways.