• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missionaries stopped by

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I don't usually answer the door since a lot of sales people come around but today I was feeling adventurous so when the doorbell rang I answered it. It was the LDS Missionaries looking to teach me about Jesus. I had some compassion for them and let them in. It's a hot humid day outside and I remember how good it felt just to get inside a door after so many are slammed in my face. So we sat down and I told them about how I used to be in their shoes and also that I'm now an Atheist. We talked about my mission and the family I baptized and saw sealed in the temple and how I fell away from the church and my failed marriage. Then when their turn came they presented me a lesson on Korihor the Antichrist from the Book of Mormon. For those of you who don't know, Korihor was an evangelical "Atheist" who went around trying to convince everyone that there is no God. Eventually he was confronted in a debate where the prophet struck Korihor dumb so he couldn't speak. Then Korihor, in writing, tells the people that he was wrong and that he always believed in God. Later on he was trampled to death. I wondered why they shared this particular story. It's probably my fault. I told them I was excommunicated and an Atheist, but not what I was excommunicated for, and I think they assumed I was excommunicated for preaching against the church. So far, no one from the church has threatened to strike me dumb. I doubt they'll be back.

I did learn something from Korihor today. First of all, Korihor wasn't really an Atheist. He's one of those people I talked about in another thread who hates God and preaches against Him in order to spite Him. He then goes and asks for a sign. Tell me, would any true Atheist even bother asking for a sign? That's like setting up a security camera in front of your fireplace on Christmas Eve. That's like running to the end of a rainbow to see if there really is a pot of gold waiting for you. If there really is no God then asking for a sign is pointless.

I do hope they'll come back. It's kind of like being in the forum except they're right there on your couch and they speak verbally. They challenged me to read the Book of Mormon again and I told them I would. I bet I'd see it in a whole new light this time around.

joeboonda

They always try to take my "anti-Mormon" literature whenever I have talked to them. Lost a really good book that way, expensive too.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
They always try to take my "anti-Mormon" literature whenever I have talked to them. Lost a really good book that way, expensive too.

Probably because they want to know what lies are being told about them so they can counter it with the truth, and explain to you how wrong your assumptions are.

Clever, if you ask me. I usually just take religious tracts and use them to line the litter box :)

nutshell

Missionaries don't read "anti" literature. They just try to get it out of the homes of those they hope to have discussions with.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hmm... in another thread, IIRC, there were Mormon members claiming that the Ten Commandments still applied; is "you shall not steal" no longer a commandment?

Maybe I should put my Steven Jay Gould books and my copy of The Pagan Christ out of sight of the front window. ;)

joeboonda

Missionaries don't read "anti" literature. They just try to get it out of the homes of those they hope to have discussions with.
My friend who was Mormon, now Baptist told me she was taught to do that. I'm sure its not universal to all Mormons, however and do not hold it against them in any way.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
They didn't ask for any of my books, but I don't have any anti-mormon books anyway. Except for a couple books on Buddhism and my wife's Harry Potter book. :D

nutshell

Hmm... in another thread, IIRC, there were Mormon members claiming that the Ten Commandments still applied; is "you shall not steal" no longer a commandment?

Maybe I should put my Steven Jay Gould books and my copy of The Pagan Christ out of sight of the front window. ;)

Who said anything about stealing?

Nanda

Polyanna
Will they also scan through my Tivo listings and erase last Sundays "Atheist Viewpoint?" I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet! :(

nutshell

Will they also scan through my Tivo listings and erase last Sundays "Atheist Viewpoint?" I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet! :(

No.

They'll try to have a pleasant conversation with you, which seems unlikely given your attitude.

Runt

I've always enjoyed talking with Mormon missionaries. Most---actually, I think it's safe to say all---who I've encountered seemed to accept that I was not interested in converting but that I was interested in understanding their beliefs. They seemed to enjoy engaging in a discussion of comparative religion and it was a relief not to feel as though either side was proselytizing.