• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morality

KnightOwl

Perfect justice is almost always theoretical and what we get in practice is almost always a close approximation at best.

True justice is always moral. Not all morality is justice -- in fact it almost never is. IMO.

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
One could purchase a slave from a foreign nation or from foreigners living with them. These slaves would remain in slavery forever, unless the owner chooses to frees them An Israelite who was a slave could be freed by a family member or by himself if he had the money. The cost of freeing a slave was computed on the basis of the number of years to the next Jubilee Year; this could be 1 to 50 years. Male Israelite slaves were automatically freed during the Jubilee Year. Depending upon which verse was being followed, female Israelite slaves might also have been freed at that time as well. Foreign slaves were out of luck.
Exodus 21:1-4: "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him. *If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."

*i'd consider that human trafficking, what about you?

No, I call it economic realities during their times. Notice this: "If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself.." does not imply force labor...Similar to our Domestic helpers working in HK or Abu Dhabi

KnightOwl

No, I call it economic realities during their times. Notice this: "If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself.." does not imply force labor...Similar to our Domestic helpers working in HK or Abu Dhabi

You have slaves working in Hong Kong and Abu Dhabi? Wouldn't you call both that AND the slaves described the the Bible text above, human trafficking aka slavery?

Or did you mean to imply that the slaves in the Bible weren't really slaves but really just domestic help?

Either way, I don't see how that helps you case. In the latter case, the Bible is then saying that is okay to keep the offspring of employees, so it turns into slavery/trafficking any way you look at it.

I think this whole, "I was different back then" excuse is utter garbage and a cowardly way of saying it was immoral and you don't have any better answer.

waitasec

Veteran Member

:areyoucra
i gave you scripture that supports human trafficking and your justification is, economic realities? that's funny. so god is a business man...
human's were considered as collateral
so then please explain how a slave became something worth dying for on the cross?

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
:areyoucra
i gave you scripture that supports human trafficking and your justification is, economic realities? that's funny. so god is a business man...
human's were considered as collateral
so then please explain how a slave became something worth dying for on the cross?

The verses you mentioned imposes certain regulation against abuses on slaves, same as a contracts placed on OFW DH workers at the present. Why blame God for something that gives order and regulation to economic realities at that time?

Do you treat your house helper right? They are your modern slaves, out of poverty they are working for you, now indulge me, I hope that you are not mistreating them....this is economic realities of our time.

If divorce is implemented in the laws of Moses to put order on marital separations due to adulteries, do you accuse God as endorsing divorce?

Or do you blame God for broken families due to failed marriages?

Blaming game: Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent.....still happens today..man excuses himself from his own sins and instead blame God, or the devil or even the neighbor for all the miseries.... .

KnightOwl

How about this regulation on abuses of slaves? "Don't own slaves."

Is an MTI educated physicist a slave too? After all, if he didn't have the money he earned from his occupation, he too would be in poverty. Employees are not slaves, they are people who are exchanging something they have (their time and skill) for something you have (money.)

:facepalm:

waitasec

Veteran Member
The verses you mentioned imposes certain regulation against abuses on slaves, same as a contracts placed on OFW DH workers at the present. Why blame God for something that gives order and regulation to economic realities at that time?

i don't know...because slavery is a moral issue :shrug:
what i'm trying to point out is that this loving just god doesn't exist...man created god to justify themselves.

Do you treat your house helper right? They are your modern slaves, out of poverty they are working for you, now indulge me, I hope that you are not mistreating them....this is economic realities of our time.

yea i treat them pretty good. however, i have sold their children off for a profit..that's ok. right?

If divorce is implemented in the laws of Moses to put order on marital separations due to adulteries, do you accuse God as endorsing divorce?Or do you blame God for broken families due to failed marriages?
i don't blame what doesn't exist...

Blaming game: Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent.....still happens today..man excuses himself from his own sins and instead blame God, or the devil or even the neighbor for all the miseries.... .

one thing you need to realize.
slavery isn't a right... divorce is...

some have accepted the indifference of nature others blame god...

Last edited: