• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morality

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
If it's short, please just post it.
It's not, and I don't want to redebate the issue.

Your authority to better discern consequences - when it given back to the child to decide?
Again I don't really understand. Informed consent requires presenting all of those things to the other individual with evidence that they fully understand.

Can we override the animals lack of consent, and do it anyway?
You can, but you didn't ask about ability, just morality.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Again I don't really understand. Informed consent requires presenting all of those things to the other individual with evidence that they fully understand.

You can, but you didn't ask about ability, just morality.

I'm comparing each person's lack of understanding - assuming you are not perfect in your predictions of potential consequences.

That's what i'm trying to get at. Would it then me moral, or neutral?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I'm comparing each person's lack of understanding - assuming you are not perfect in your predictions of potential consequences.

That's what i'm trying to get at. Would it then me moral, or neutral?
Generally speaking if the other person can't reason it out themselves, it'd be immoral.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I'd like to expand on Scenario 1:

"Tom wants to have intercourse with a very young girl. She and her guardians give their consent. Is this acceptable for him to do?"

Tom is caught in the act of raping a very young girl despite her "consent". We proceed to spread Tom's legs, take a knife, and chop those jewels right off. Then we find her "guardians" and prosecute them for being party to abuse of a minor. Is this acceptable?

Last edited:

Daviso452

Boy Genius
After having a discussion with Call of the Wild recently, I have come to realize that all of morality is subjective, and that there is no truly objective morality. Unless you believe in God.

From an atheist's perspective, morality is based upon the idea for a better society, and one idea that has been shown to work is the idea of "consider others as yourself" (Buddha), or in other words "Do unto others as you would do unto you" (Jesus).

Both ultimately result in a kind, caring, and understanding world. Not perfect, but peaceful. It leads to helping others in need, not putting yourself before others, not discriminating, and overall a happy place. However it will be a long time before this happens.

But the wanting a better society in of itself is subjective. It isn't a "fact" that we should have a better society; it's just our opinion. So, ultimately, there is not objective morality, which is, in of itself, an artificial creation

Sleeppy

Generally speaking if the other person can't reason it out themselves, it'd be immoral.

The way I look at it.. no one is capable of fully reasoning anything.

If you reason out the consequences of an action, but find that you've happened on unexpected immoral outcomes, does it make your original action immoral?

Sleeppy

Tom is caught in the act of raping a very young girl despite her "consent". We proceed to spread Tom's legs, take a knife, and chop those jewels right off. Then we find her "guardians" and prosecute them for being party to abuse of a minor. Is this acceptable?

I think immorality is very detail orientated. Can you think of any hypothetical reason to rape a young girl?

connermt

Disregard any government laws. It's all legal.

Scenario 1:

Tom wants to have intercourse with a very young girl. She and her guardians give their consent. Is this acceptable for him to do?

Scenario 2:

Jim, from his home, can see kids playing outside his window. He decides to masturbate. No one can see him. Is this acceptable for him to do?

Scenario 3:

Kayla notices that her dog is quite fond of her leg. She decides to have sex with her dog. Is this acceptable for her to do?

Scenario 4:

Jim and Kayla have just given birth to a baby girl. They kill her and bury her in the yard. Is this acceptable for them to do?

Scenario 5:

Mike likes to eat dog meat. He raises them and eats them. Is this acceptable for him to do?

Scenario 6:

Ashley loves her poodle, even more than her daughter. Her poodle receives more attention, but her daughter has all of her basic necessities. Is this acceptable for her to do?

Morality is up to the individual, no matter what any legal or religious system tries to stipulate.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Disregard any government laws. It's all legal.

Scenario 1:

Tom wants to have intercourse with a very young girl. She and her guardians give their consent. Is this acceptable for him to do?

Scenario 2:

Jim, from his home, can see kids playing outside his window. He decides to masturbate. No one can see him. Is this acceptable for him to do?

Scenario 3:

Kayla notices that her dog is quite fond of her leg. She decides to have sex with her dog. Is this acceptable for her to do?

Scenario 4:

Jim and Kayla have just given birth to a baby girl. They kill her and bury her in the yard. Is this acceptable for them to do?

Scenario 5:

Mike likes to eat dog meat. He raises them and eats them. Is this acceptable for him to do?

Scenario 6:

Ashley loves her poodle, even more than her daughter. Her poodle receives more attention, but her daughter has all of her basic necessities. Is this acceptable for her to do?

what i want to know is...
are these scenarios accurate as to being a good representation of our sense of morality? :no:
most of us would probably not think these things are moral or even normal behavior...and most are not believers...

it's that odd :sarcastic

Sleeppy

what i want to know is...
are these scenarios accurate as to being a good representation of our sense of morality? :no:
most of us would probably not think these things are moral or even normal behavior...and most are not believers...

it's that odd :sarcastic

Look at the responses. Maybe even provide your own.

If you're asking about normality, ask yourself what stops them from becoming normal. It might not be you that's stopping them, but your experiences.. And experiences change.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Look at the responses. Maybe even provide your own.

If you're asking about normality, ask yourself what stops them from becoming normal. It might not be you that's stopping them, but your experiences.. And experiences change.

I have no worries that any of these things will become normal for me, but, if there are people out there who are so wishy-washy, I sure hope they have something to keep their perversions in check. Are you saying this is what religion does for religious people - help them to not be pervs?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I have no worries that any of these things will become normal for me, but, if there are people out there who are so wishy-washy, I sure hope they have something to keep their perversions in check. Are you saying this is what religion does for religious people - help them to not be pervs?

i'm reading something between the lines here...

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
No, I'm not. It's not that simple.

Huh. It's extremely simple for me to not be a pervert. I guess I didn't realize how much of a struggle it was for certain people. Well, as long as religion can help keep them from acting out, I think it's a good thing for them.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't think disorders are the only source.
lack of empathy is a disorder because all social animals must have this quality in order to survive in a social environment...natural selection.

No, I'm not. It's not that simple.

you know you're setting yourself up...

where does our sense of morality come from...? definitely not from god because our sense of morality can be traced to humans being social animals.
simple.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Huh. It's extremely simple for me to not be a pervert. I guess I didn't realize how much of a struggle it was for certain people. Well, as long as religion can help keep them from acting out, I think it's a good thing for them.

there was a place for those certain people...australia...now look at 'em...
they're one of the nicest people i know...

Sleeppy

No. I was saying people's interaction with religion isn't simple. Not everyone gets the same results. Not everyone has the same religion, firstly.

Do you know why it's simple for you not to be a pervert?