• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormon Missionaries

Bishka

Veteran Member
Its interesting I never saw any horns on the missionaries, which would be indicative od being from satan? :D

Some people think it is a joke that people used to think we had horns, but when my mum was on her mission in Argentina, there used to be people asking about them (and they were dead serious).

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
I know that, and I've told him what I think of his intentions. I certainly don't find them to be very Christlike. It just struck me as odd that he would offer to help Dream Angel if he knew she had requested that the missionaries come to teach her.

So offering to help someone is not very Christlike? Hmm, that must be in the book of mormon then.;)
We both know dreamangel asked for missionaries to come round.
Look, i realise you only know us by what you read on here and that is what you go by and you all think we are gonna be horrid to these missionaries.I can tell you now, that will not be the case. When they came, i was surprised and i hate talking on my doorstep, much more polite to ask them in, but we were busy, so i said theyre welcome to come back any time, i said we were evangelical christians and didnt believe what they do, yet they still wanna come back, thats fine.
We have had JWs round on several occasions for many hours, we even had one over for a meal, so we are not looking to be mean to them. I wouldnt tell them to go away, i think it is a bad witness on my part that i cant take the time to show them why i dont believe what they do, and yes, it is a chance to show them the truth (just as they feel they are doing to us), so hopefully we will learn more stuff to bug you guys with !! (that was a joke for those who dont realise!):)

jonny

So offering to help someone is not very Christlike? Hmm, that must be in the book of mormon then.;)
Look, i realise you only know us by what you read on here and that is what you go by and you all think we are gonna be horrid to these missionaries.I can tell you now, that will not be the case. When they came, i was surprised and i hate talking on my doorstep, much more polite to ask them in, but we were busy, so i said theyre welcome to come back any time, i said we were evangelical christians and didnt believe what they do, yet they still wanna come back, thats fine.
We have had JWs round on several occasions for many hours, we even had one over for a meal, so we are not looking to be mean to them. I wouldnt tell them to go away, i think it is a bad witness on my part that i cant take the time to show them why i dont believe what they do, and yes, it is a chance to show them the truth (just as they feel they are doing to us), so hopefully we will learn more stuff to bug you guys with !! (that was a joke for those who dont realise!):)

I don't think you're going to be horrid. Every Mormon here knows that you're on a mission to convert us over to your way of thinking. That's your right and your obligation. I've never thought you were a mean person. I just wish that you would try testifying of what you believe instead of trying to tear down and belittle my beliefs. I promise you (and this is coming from someone who spent two years as a full-time missionary), one tactic is MUCH more effective than the other.

Anyway, please don't get defensive when we call you out on it or read between the lines on your posts...

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
I don't think you're going to be horrid. Every Mormon here knows that you're on a mission to convert us over to your way of thinking. That's your right and your obligation. I've never thought you were a mean person. I just wish that you would try testifying of what you believe instead of trying to tear down and belittle my beliefs. I promise you (and this is coming from someone who spent two years as a full-time missionary), one tactic is MUCH more effective than the other.

Anyway, please don't get defensive when we call you out on it or read between the lines on your posts...

I have never tried to tear down and belittle your beliefs, Jonny.
Im not getting defensive, i just want you to know we are not gonna treat them badly cause i can understand your concern for a fellow brother of your faith.
You guys are hard work, y'know.

jonny

I have never tried to tear down and belittle your beliefs, Jonny.

I'm glad to hear that. This may not have been you goal, but it is how I've felt more times than I can count. The problem with the approach that you and a few others use to testify to Mormons is that we stop listening. It doesn't work. I usually end up avoiding their threads or putting the people on ignore.

My philosophy - If what you believe is true and worthwhile, it should be able to stand on its own merits.

You guys are hard work, y'know.

Yeah - that's what happens when you're really converted to something. :D

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
jonny;853739]I'm glad to hear that. This may not have been you goal, but it is how I've felt more times than I can count. The problem with the approach that you and a few others use to testify to Mormons is that we stop listening. It doesn't work. I usually end up avoiding their threads of putting them on ignore.
Im sorry youve felt like that, i meant to say in my last post that i dont try to convert people to MY way of thinking or belief, its about Gods way,His word, not mine. Its a shame we dont know each other better and im guessing we never will, cause you have no idea how much it grieves me when people refuse to hear the word of God.
This site is for debates and discussions and when im debating,some people dont like what they hear, but thats not how i talk with everyone i meet, as im sure you dont.

My philosophy - If what you believe is true and worthwhile, it should be able to stand on its own merits.

Of course The Word of God stands up on its own, but some people choose not to hear it and i am required to go out into the world ( be it on a computer) and preach the Word of God, so that some will know Him and come to Him. Whats the point on going on a debate if you feel this way?

jonny

Of course The Word of God stands up on its own, but some people choose not to hear it and i am required to go out into the world ( be it on a computer) and preach the Word of God, so that some will know Him and come to Him. Whats the point on going on a debate if you feel this way?

To defend my beliefs against half-truths, distortions, and lies. That's the only reason I participate in the religious debate forums at all. Proselytization is against the forum rules, but I'm sure you already know that. I'm not here to "preach" anything.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
To defend my beliefs against half-truths, distortions, and lies. That's the only reason I participate in the religious debate forums at all. Proselytization is against the forum rules, but I'm sure you already know that. I'm not here to "preach" anything.

I think this discussion has come to a dead end and going very much off topic (sorry). Anyway, gotta go and sort my whining son out!!!!
Nice posting with you, jonny.

Truth_Faith13

I dont think they were referring to the offer of help from paul to me when they said not christlike. I remember reading somone that he said the LDS faith was satanic or something - I think they may have been referring to that. :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Of course The Word of God stands up on its own, but some people choose not to hear it
and i am required to go out into the world ( be it on a computer) and preach the Word of God, so that some will know Him and come to Him. Whats the point on going on a debate if you feel this way?

Do you really understand how we feel? When you try to 'preach God's word', you are in a sense tearing us down; and that hurts. Instead of telling us we are wrong and worshiping the 'wrong Jesus', show love by serving other people -- that is a tactic that works so much better then telling people they are wrong.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I remember reading somone that he said the LDS faith was satanic or something - I think they may have been referring to that. :)
I'd like to see that quote. It may be because I said that maybe I am suffering from Satanic attack (which can be very real :( ) with all the people I am currently speaking to challenging my faith. I wrote that yesterday.
Today the Lord has blessed me greatly and I feel His strength within me in power and I am filled with the knowledge that He is with me and is strenghtening me for His purposes. I could break into a song of my love for Him, I really could.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Do you really understand how we feel? When you try to 'preach God's word', you are in a sense tearing us down; and that hurts. Instead of telling us we are wrong and worshiping the 'wrong Jesus', show love by serving other people -- that is a tactic that works so much better then telling people they are wrong.
Becky we do not believe in tactics as though we could by the sublety or expert presentation of our beliefs win people over, we belive in being faithful to the truth and God's Spirit will do the work on peoples hearts, we speak the truth and we pray for people, no tactics, no methods, no tricks, no mind games. We proclaim and declare the power of the gospel to changes mens hearts (not without faith). The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believes it.