• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moses asks science

jes-us

Moses sat down to rest at night by a great lake and looking into the sky he could see a full moon .

Moses then asked science , ''if the tides of oceans are a consequence of the moon then why sitting here I have not got my feet wet ? ''

Why doesn't the moon affect any other bodies of water , is it because you have got it wrong ?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Moses sat down to rest at night by a great lake and looking into the sky he could see a full moon .

Moses then asked science , ''if the tides of oceans are a consequence of the moon then why sitting here I have not got my feet wet ? ''

Why doesn't the moon affect any other bodies of water , is it because you have got it wrong ?
What makes you think it doesn't?

jes-us

What makes you think it doesn't?
Because my rubber ducky in a beach side pool doesn't move when the tide is coming in or going out . Because specs of dust sitting on the pier don't move when the tide is coming in or going out . Because dry grains of sand on the beach don't move when the tide is coming in or going out . Are we to believe the moon can move an absolute huge mass of water but doesn't affect the mass of what I mentioned ?

jes-us

It does they are less massive than the oceans so not affected as much.

Do the Great Lakes have tides?.
I have already read about the great lakes and typed in google the same question but there is still many ''buts'' so I doubt the authenticity of what google is saying about the great lakes .

So ok an experiment , If I go to the beach and set up a spirit level , perfectly level and secured from movement ,

When the tide comes in or goes out I will see the bubble contract by the waters movement in the level ?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have already read about the great lakes and typed in google the same question but there is still many ''buts'' so I doubt the authenticity of what google is saying about the great lakes .

So ok an experiment , If I go to the beach and set up a spirit level , perfectly level and secured from movement ,

When the tide comes in or goes out I will see the bubble contract by the waters movement in the level ?

That was not a Google link but it was a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration link

Too little mass of liquid in a spirit level to see. Another experiment. Make a bowl as big as the Atlantic ocean and fill it with water. Will we see tidal forces acting on that water?

jes-us

That was not a Google link but it was a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration link

Too little mass of liquid in a spirit level to see. Another experiment. Make a bowl as big as the Atlantic ocean and fill it with water. Will we see tidal forces acting on that water?
A great reply with good wisdom but supposing it was the tectonic plates shifting at regular intervals rather than the moon ?

Do you think the test of the great lake is proof and the test was done correctly ?

ChristineM

Premium Member
A great reply with good wisdom but supposing it was the tectonic plates shifting at regular intervals rather than the moon ?

Do you think the test of the great lake is proof and the test was done correctly ?

When tectonic plates shift earthquakes occur

Science does not deal in proof but in evidence.

jes-us

When tectonic plates shift earthquakes occur

Science does not deal in proof but in evidence.
I am aware large shifts of plates cause earthquakes but what about if the movement was more gradual ?

We know large shifts can use tsunamis , the tide goes out fast then is forced back in .

If the plates were moving gradual that could give the affect of tides .

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am aware large shifts of plates cause earthquakes but what about if the movement was more gradual ?

We know large shifts can use tsunamis , the tide goes out fast then is forced back in .

If the plates were moving gradual that could give the affect of tides .

Tell you what, form a hypothesis, write a paper on it, have it published, get it peer reviewed, and lets go from there.

Btw, the plates move gradually, generally not enough to cause tides (that would require large movement) but enough for example to raise the height of mount Everest grow by around 44mm per year.

jes-us

Tell you what, form a hypothesis, write a paper on it, have it published, get it peer reviewed, and lets go from there.

Btw, the plates move gradually, generally not enough to cause tides (that would require large movement) but enough for example to raise the height of mount Everest grow by around 44mm per year.
I'd have to research more into any tests or experiments that have been performed that may demonstrate it is the moon .

There is also another possibility it is a renewable pocket of gas , obvious it would be a large cavern . When the cavern is pressured by gas the tide comes in but once the cavern loses pressure , the tide goes out filling the cavern . Sort of how a ballast works on a submarine .

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'd have to research more into any tests or experiments that have been performed that may demonstrate it is the moon .

There is also another possibility it is a renewable pocket of gas , obvious it would be a large cavern . When the cavern is pressured by gas the tide comes in but once the cavern loses pressure , the tide goes out filling the cavern . Sort of how a ballast works on a submarine .

Start with Einstein

jes-us

Start with Einstein
If the moon had such a hold on the oceans then surely the moon would have such an hold on the clouds but that is not so .

Also relativity isn't entirely accurate . Einstein makes some good points but is a little outdated now .

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Are we to believe the moon can move an absolute huge mass of water but doesn't affect the mass of what I mentioned ?
:facepalm: Is there no limit to your ignorance of science?

ql_85301f1f851126ad2202e1d1cf6fd04f_l3.png

Formula image rendered by QuickLaTeX.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If the moon had such a hold on the oceans then surely the moon would have such an hold on the clouds but that is not so .

Also relativity isn't entirely accurate . Einstein makes some good points but is a little outdated now .

Why do you have such a problem with mass?

Relativity is considered the most important idea in physics and has never been falsified in classical physics

Anyway i means space time