• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I watched "5 centimetres per second" a few days ago. Not a bad movie but there are much better anime movies out there (it's no ghibli)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
This has gotten pretty good reviews, and the one person I know who saw it liked it a lot. Said they translated the fairy tale into an (almost) LOTR style adventure film.

I'm tempted to see it just to see how they managed to turn the 7 dwarves into credible characters. :p

I think FH was expecting "real life" Disney Dwarves. LOL! (Kidding, FH, kidding...)

It was pretty good. I thought that Charlize Theron's performance made the movie most worthwhile. Being the cosmetology junkie that I am, I wanted to run home and make myself an evil queen. :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Just watched the "Cars" movies... my son loved them! At least as long as he was actually watching them.

They were better than I expected and I actually enjoyed both of them myself.

I absolutely loved the cameo by the "car guys" but I'm a fan of theirs anyway. :D

wa:do

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
First impression after watching Ridley Scott's Prometheus: Beware of archaeologists bearing trowels and speaking in dead languages... if you don't take our work seriously, we will bring the extinction of mankind.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
First impression after watching Ridley Scott's Prometheus: Beware of archaeologists bearing trowels and speaking in dead languages... if you don't take our work seriously, we will bring the extinction of mankind.
Science and knowledge/curiosity are bad... and will ultimately destroy us all.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Science and knowledge/curiosity are bad... and will ultimately destroy us all.

I think Scott made the implication with innocence ;) I like what he delivers in general.
For what it's worth, the implication is that science in the hands of a rich interest group is dangerous, while the scientists themselves are bold to go to whatever ends in order to have the chance to explore or go on expedition.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Naw...Scott's point was that scientists are idiots.
Set in the year it was, all should've been familiar with his classic "Alien".
They should've learned some things:
- Watch out when there's scary music & lots of pods.
- Do not pet the chest bursters!

I maintain that Prometheus is the worst movie of 2012.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think Scott made the implication with innocence ;) I like what he delivers in general.
For what it's worth, the implication is that science in the hands of a rich interest group is dangerous, while the scientists themselves are bold to go to whatever ends in order to have the chance to explore or go on expedition.
Well... if science is bad, science in the hands of soulless corporations/governments is worse. ;)

I haven't seen Prometheus yet... but given the other movies in the franchise I would also guess: Androids are spooky and only as trustworthy as their programmers. And, nothing is as scarey as a "face full of alien wing-wong".

I do really look forward to seeing it though... :D

Trey of Diamonds

Naw...Scott's point was that scientists are idiots.
Set in the year it was, all should've been familiar with his classic "Alien".
They should've learned some things:
- Watch out when there's scary music & lots of pods.
- Do not pet the chest bursters!

I maintain that Prometheus is the worst movie of 2012.

I wouldn't call it the worst, we do have half a year left to go and no need to challenge the movie Gods.

My beef with Prometheus was it was a bit boring. There was little or no suspense and what action we did see was anti-climatic. The fact that the themes were all cliche is just Hollywood, I didn't expect any better on that score.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wouldn't call it the worst, we do have half a year left to go and no need to challenge the movie Gods.

My beef with Prometheus was it was a bit boring. There was little or no suspense and what action we did see was anti-climatic. The fact that the themes were all cliche is just Hollywood, I didn't expect any better on that score.
1) As a sort-of prequel to "Alien", I expected expect more consistency with the original's mythology.
2) The body horror struck even me as gratuitous & overdone.
3) Too many outright unbelievable things, eg, athletic running around after major surgery.
4) Petting a chest burster.....really?
5) That indestructible giant body building alien fella....at least until the several hours old giant squidbillie tongued him.

Yes, early though we are in the year, this failure was just so collosal, egregious, unexpected,
unforgivable & ham fisted that I award it the Last Tango In Paris award now. (The upcoming
musical comedy version of Heaven's Gate with Adam Sandler & Kristen Stewart could have me
rethinking this though.)

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Watched Total Recall last night. I thought it was fast paced, the set was cool and in the classical spirit of cyberpunk's fusion of Asian, tech and urban elements. The gnostic motives of PKD work OK in the film, and they are expressed more by the technology of Rekall and the political schemes of the story than the sometimes exhausting religious philosophies in some of the other films who play on Gnosticism.
I definitely had a good time.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Watched Total Recall last night. I thought it was fast paced, the set was cool and in the classical spirit of cyberpunk's fusion of Asian, tech and urban elements. The gnostic motives of PKD work OK in the film, and they are expressed more by the technology of Rekall and the political schemes of the story than the sometimes exhausting religious philosophies in some of the other films who play on Gnosticism.
I definitely had a good time.

Just to counter this, I think the movie sucked. ;)
The characters were cardboard cutouts and I couldn't for the life of me bring myself to care about any of them.
The set was unoriginal, and except for the shabby metropolis scenes, they were quite uninteresting to look at.
The action sequences, while decently done, made me think of watching a video game, one that I wasn't even playing myself.

I was bored.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
To be honest I thought the counter response would arrive much sooner.
No offence Jar, while I appreciate your input on a variety of issues, I stopped going to the cinema with some of my friends because they have similar standards to yours.. as in impossible standards.
Now I mostly go with my wife.
My perspective is like this: It's the cinema. Not the ballet, or opera. I have no idea what people expect when going to the cinema today, but there isnt a single movie I've been to in the last 5 or so years where people did not complain about how inane the movie is.
Frankly Im tired of hearing it :D when I go to the cinmea, I'm looking to be entertained. If I want high class content, I go see modern dance, the opera, or an orchestra.

Just had to get this off my chest.

White Hat

Lekhaim
Watched the curious case of Benjamin Button today. A... strange movie. A bit creepy. Not bad, but somehow depressing. I don't think I would want to watch it again anytime soon.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
To be honest I thought the counter response would arrive much sooner.
No offence Jar, while I appreciate your input on a variety of issues, I stopped going to the cinema with some of my friends because they have similar standards to yours.. as in impossible standards.
Now I mostly go with my wife.
My perspective is like this: It's the cinema. Not the ballet, or opera. I have no idea what people expect when going to the cinema today, but there isnt a single movie I've been to in the last 5 or so years where people did not complain about how inane the movie is.
Frankly Im tired of hearing it :D when I go to the cinmea, I'm looking to be entertained. If I want high class content, I go see modern dance, the opera, or an orchestra.

Just had to get this off my chest.

Your sentiment is noted. ;)
Just as a follow up, I go to the movies quite regularly, at least a couple of times a month, and I mostly enjoy myself.
There are however, certain standards that I hold movies to depending on what kind of movie I'm watching, and in the case of remakes, I expect them to do at least one of two things; Improve on the previous movie or bring a whole new take on the previous movie.
If one does neither of these, then the remake is just a cash-grab and the new Total Recall movie felt very much like a cash-grab.
While slightly more in tune with the original short-story, it brought nothing new to the table, and apart from more advanced CGI, as a movie I enjoyed Arnold's old 1990 flick more than I did this one.
It had more interesting characters, and at the time, it had some novel ideas.
The 2012 version had neither.

Had this not been a remake I would have written it off as another somewhat brainless action movie and left it at that, but since it was a remake, I expected more.
It's kinda like when bands cover other people's songs; if you're not bringing anything new and interesting to the table you should have left well enough alone.

Unfortunately remakes and cover songs are easy cash grabs for movie and record companies, but that doesn't mean we have to let them get away with it.