• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muhammad said Christians are exalted until Judgement Day, why?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Quran 3:55

"God said, "Jesus, I will cause you to die and raise you up to me, and purify you from those who denied the truth, and I will exalt your followers over those who deny you until the Resurrection Day. Then you all will return to me, and I will judge between you in matters about which you disagree."

Why did Muhammad say, Christians are exalted above those who deny Jesus until Day of Resurrection?
Consider, Christians themselves have been denying the Quran, and Muhammad, and mostly believe in Trinity. So, the Christians themselves are the new deniers, and misguided people, in Islamic belief.

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

"God said, "Jesus, I will cause you to die and raise you up to me, and purify you from those who denied the truth, and I will exalt your followers over those who deny you until the Resurrection Day. Then you all will return to me, and I will judge between you in matters about which you disagree."

Why did Muhammad say, Christians are exalted above those who deny Jesus until Day of Resurrection?
Consider, Christians themselves have been denying the Quran, and Muhammad, and mostly believe in Trinity. So, the Christians themselves are the new deniers, and misguided people, in Islamic belief.
Hi
From what I know and read concerning this verse is that we don’t consider Christian to be the true followers of Jesus.
From my understanding is that the people who followed him and accepted his teachings which is the belief in the oneness of god and not the belief in the trinity . We considered them true follower of Jesus to be Muslims. .

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Hi
From what I know and read concerning this verse is that we don’t consider Christian to be the true followers of Jesus.
From my understanding is that the people who followed him and accepted his teachings which is the belief in the oneness of god and not the belief in the trinity . We considered them true follower of Jesus to be Muslims. .

Yes, you are correct.

Then, why does allah say, Jesus followers are exalted till Day of Resurrection, if, there is no true followers of Jesus?

It would've made sense, if Allah had said, the Christians will be exalted for as long as, they will be a follower of Next Messenger, and choose Islam later, instead of saying "Until Resurrection Day".

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

Yes, you are correct.

Then, why does allah say, Jesus followers are exalted till Day of Resurrection, if, there is no true followers of Jesus?

It would've made sense, if Allah had said, the Christians will be exalted for as long as, they will be a follower of Next Messenger, and choose Islam later, instead of saying "Until Resurrection Day".
Yes good point. So I have to correct myself. My Arabic is not that good so I am relying on translation and that can be confusing at times.

The sahih international translation of the verse is a better translation. Not saying the one you put here is incorrect.

SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
[Mention] when Allah said, “O Jesus, indeed I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify you from those who disbelieve and make those who follow you [in submission to Allah alone] superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then to Me is your return, and I will judge between you concerning that in which you used to differ.

So after some digging to the verse, I don’t think I can answer you. There are different scholars that give different opinions on who Allah is referring to as the followers of Jesus.
So instead of we Muslim choosing one opinion, we let all the options open and take the position that Allah knows best.

If you are interested here are the opinions. Reference are at the end.

Some of them said that his followers are those who believed at his time, and the Muslims after the sending of the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him). What this means is: following ‘Eesaa (peace be upon him) requires believing in Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), and this superiority is connected to that.

Ibn ‘Atiyyah said: The majority of commentators are of the view that the phrase “those who follow you” is general and comprehensive in meaning. Thus it includes the ummah of Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) because they follow ‘Eesaa… Similarly, they regarded the phrase referring to the disbelievers as being general and comprehensive in meaning.

So what we may conclude from this verse is that Allah was informing ‘Eesaa (peace be upon him) that those who believed in him – in the proper manner – would be superior to those who disbelieve, by means of the proof and evidence that they had, and by means of the honour that would be granted to them and the upper hand they would be given.

Some of them said that what is meant is that Allah would make the Christians superior to the Jews, and this is quite clear.

So the verse may be telling us of the disgrace and punishment of the Jews, by making the Christians superior to them throughout the world until the Day of Resurrection.

Some commentators said that what is meant is those who followed him at the time when he sought their help. This refers to the disciples, whom Allah made superior to the disbelievers, because he honoured them and made their names renowned among the righteous. Therefore they were made superior by means of the proof and evidence that they had, and the signs of Allah’s pleasure that became apparent in them.

See: Tafseer at-Tabari (5/453-455); Tafseer Ibn ‘Atiyah (1/444-445).

That is interesting. So, if Muslims deny Jesus, are they doing wrongly?

Yea that’s correct, as Muslim I have to accept the Jesus otherwise I am a disbeliever, this is one of the things that can put me out of the fold of Islam
Nice. Please tell, what does it mean to accept Jesus, that you accept that he is, or accept what he said?

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

Nice. Please tell, what does it mean to accept Jesus, that you accept that he is, or accept what he said?
The person who Jesus was is told very clearly to us in the Quran. He is the son of Mary and was born without a father. He was send by god to the Jews to lead them back and god revealed the injeel to him. We are also told that god raised him to heaven alive and wil send him to as as the messiah before the last day. This is what we Muslims accept who Jesus is.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Yes good point. So I have to correct myself. My Arabic is not that good so I am relying on translation and that can be confusing at times.

The sahih international translation of the verse is a better translation. Not saying the one you put here is incorrect.

SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
[Mention] when Allah said, “O Jesus, indeed I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify you from those who disbelieve and make those who follow you [in submission to Allah alone] superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then to Me is your return, and I will judge between you concerning that in which you used to differ.

So after some digging to the verse, I don’t think I can answer you. There are different scholars that give different opinions on who Allah is referring to as the followers of Jesus.
So instead of we Muslim choosing one opinion, we let all the options open and take the position that Allah knows best.

If you are interested here are the opinions. Reference are at the end.

Some of them said that his followers are those who believed at his time, and the Muslims after the sending of the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him). What this means is: following ‘Eesaa (peace be upon him) requires believing in Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), and this superiority is connected to that.

Ibn ‘Atiyyah said: The majority of commentators are of the view that the phrase “those who follow you” is general and comprehensive in meaning. Thus it includes the ummah of Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) because they follow ‘Eesaa… Similarly, they regarded the phrase referring to the disbelievers as being general and comprehensive in meaning.

So what we may conclude from this verse is that Allah was informing ‘Eesaa (peace be upon him) that those who believed in him – in the proper manner – would be superior to those who disbelieve, by means of the proof and evidence that they had, and by means of the honour that would be granted to them and the upper hand they would be given.

Some of them said that what is meant is that Allah would make the Christians superior to the Jews, and this is quite clear.

So the verse may be telling us of the disgrace and punishment of the Jews, by making the Christians superior to them throughout the world until the Day of Resurrection.

Some commentators said that what is meant is those who followed him at the time when he sought their help. This refers to the disciples, whom Allah made superior to the disbelievers, because he honoured them and made their names renowned among the righteous. Therefore they were made superior by means of the proof and evidence that they had, and the signs of Allah’s pleasure that became apparent in them.

See: Tafseer at-Tabari (5/453-455); Tafseer Ibn ‘Atiyah (1/444-445).

I think the commentators of Quran, are adding too much to this verse, to make it say, what "they want it to say".

It might be because if they just take it, as it says, it doesn't make sense to them, that Allah had said, Christians are exalted by Allah until Resurrection Day.

The verse is very simple to read and understand.
it is simply saying, the followers of Jesus will be exalted until day of Resurrection.

If Allah wanted to say, it means, Christians who would believe in Muhammad, He could've said so.

Unless, "Day of Resurrection" was when Muhammad came. So, Christians were exalted till Day of Manifestation of Muhammad. After that, the followers of Muhammad were exalted. Not the followers of Jesus, because Christians rejected Quran.

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

I think the commentators of Quran, are adding too much to this verse, to make it say, what "they want it to say".

It might be because if they just take it, as it says, it doesn't make sense to them, that Allah had said, Christians are exalted by Allah until Resurrection Day.

The verse is very simple to read and understand.
it is simply saying, the followers of Jesus will be exalted until day of Resurrection.

If Allah wanted to say, it means, Christians who would believe in Muhammad, He could've said so.

Unless, "Day of Resurrection" was when Muhammad came. So, Christians were exalted till Day of Manifestation of Muhammad. After that, the followers of Muhammad were exalted. Not the followers of Jesus, because Christians rejected Quran.
I get what you are trying to say. The reason why I pointed out to the Sahih international translation it gives a better meaning of the verse. Did you read it?

Mention] when Allah said, “O Jesus, indeed I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify you from those who disbelieve and make those who follow you [in submission to Allah alone] superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
I get what you are trying to say. The reason why I pointed out to the Sahih international translation it gives a better meaning of the verse. Did you read it?

Mention] when Allah said, “O Jesus, indeed I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify you from those who disbelieve and make those who follow you [in submission to Allah alone] superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection.

Yes, I have read that.
What is in the bracket, is an additional comment to the translation. So, i dont know how this translation adds anything different.

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

Yes, I have read that.
What is in the bracket, is an additional comment to the translation. So, i dont know how this translation adds anything different.
I don’t understand what you are trying to find here. I have given you the Tafsir that is related to this verse. There are 3 options that could correct,

But my question to you is since you have trouble accepting our position, what do you want the verse is saying?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
But my question to you is since you have trouble accepting our position, what do you want the verse is saying?

It is not what I want the verse to say.

The verse, clearly says, Allah said followers of Jesus will be exalted till Day of Resurrection.

Unless, the Day of Resurrection is an allusion to Revelation of Quran, which already came. So, the Christians were exalted till Revelation of the Quran, which is called Day of Resurrection. What is wrong with this understanding?
Can Revelation of the Quran, be "Day of Resurrection"?

Last edited:

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

It is not what I want the verse to say.

The verse, clearly says, Allah said followers of Jesus will be exalted till Day of Resurrection.

Unless, the Day of Resurrection is an allusion to Revelation of Quran, which already came. So, the Christians were exalted till Revelation of the Quran, which is called Day of Resurrection. What is wrong with this understanding?
Can Revelation of the Quran, be "Day of Resurrection"?
Why are you using the word christians ? Like I said before you are ignoring why the Tafsir is explaining and try to impose your beliefs in the text.

So again, it says followers of Jesus, there is a dispute who it is referring to. Deciples, true followers of Jesus who don’t believe in the trinity, the Muslims ourselves since we follow more the example of Jesus then Christian’s themselves