• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Muslims must be held responsible for France terror attacks"

Do Muslims have a responsibility to weed out extremist views?

• Yes

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

Sultan Of Swing

Murdoch says Muslims must be held responsible for France terror attacks | World news | The Guardian

"Rupert Murdoch has been strongly criticised after tweeting that “most Moslems” – even if peaceful – must be held responsible for the religion’s “growing jihadist cancer” in the wake of the terror attacks in France.

The News Corp boss added his influential voice to the global discussion on terror that has convulsed social media since gunmen slaughtered 12 people at the offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris on Wednesday."

The exact tweet from Murdoch was:
"Maybe most Moslems peaceful, but until they recognize and destroy their growing jihadist cancer they must be held responsible."

Thoughts? Do Muslims have a responsibility to "destroy their growing jihadist cancer", to condemn and speak out? Or is it nothing to do with the everyday Muslim, and a separate issue that invokes no such responsibility?

Should Muslims be holding marches of their own through big cities to show their condemnation of extremism?

I remember 150,000 people (vast majority of whom were Muslim) marched through London to protest against Israel and show solidarity with the Palestinians during the Israel-Palestine conflict last year. Where is the same outrage and enthusiasm to march and condemn Islamic extremism?

Union

Indeed Muslim world in whole have the responsibilities to uproot these minor extremists .

In the very root of even with the peaceful Muslims there is a flow of intolerance exists . They can't tolerate if somebody criticizes Islam , Prophet Muhammad and/or Qur'an . Instead of responding these critics peacefully they became violent and demand slaughtering the doer . Why so ? How many times Christians and Jews demand slaughtering Muslim when they criticize Christianity , Judaism and/or Bible ? I do not know any of this case ever happened .

Sultan Of Swing

Why single out Muslims? I think every decent person -- Muslim or non-Muslim - has a responsibility to do what he or she reasonably can to destroy the threat.
The reason why Muslims are singled out is because the terrorists specifically identify themselves as Muslims and interpret the Qu'ran to justify their actions. Do Muslims then have a responsibility to correct this interpretation? I for one do not have sufficient knowledge of the Qu'ran or the Muslim faith to try and correct extremists, not to mention my word wouldn't be taken seriously because I'm not a Muslim. Furthermore, many would-be extremists are raised going to mosque, learning from scholars, should more be done to teach them against such views?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The reason why Muslims are singled out is because the terrorists specifically identify themselves as Muslims and interpret the Qu'ran to justify their actions. Do Muslims then have a responsibility to correct this interpretation? I for one do not have sufficient knowledge of the Qu'ran or the Muslim faith to try and correct extremists, not to mention my word wouldn't be taken seriously because I'm not a Muslim. Furthermore, many would-be extremists are raised going to mosque, learning from scholars, should more be done to teach them against such views?

Of course Moderate Muslims have a reasonable responsibility! I've already said that. But what are you arguing for? Are you implying they have a greater than is reasonable responsibility?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Indeed Muslim world in whole have the responsibilities to uproot these minor extremists .

In the very root of even with the peaceful Muslims there is a flow of intolerance exists . They can't tolerate if somebody criticizes Islam , Prophet Muhammad and/or Qur'an . Instead of responding these critics peacefully they became violent and demand slaughtering the doer . Why so ? How many times Christians and Jews demand slaughtering Muslim when they criticize Christianity , Judaism and/or Bible ? I do not know any of this case ever happened .

Generalize much?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What I can say , I am a Muslim but I know it is a fact .

It's a fact that all Moderate Muslims are intolerant and call for killing people who criticize their religion or prophet? If that is indeed a fact, then I would think there were no truly moderate Muslims.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I am affraid next time someone will creat similaire thread like this one, are you agree to kill all the Muslims ? and you have 3 choice poll :

1-YES

2-WHY NOT

3-there is no other choice

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I am affraid next time someone will creat similaire thread like this one, are you agree to kill all the Muslims ? and you have 3 choice poll :

1-YES

2-WHY NOT

3-there is no other choice

Or do you think the world will be better without Islam.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think a clearer case can be made that most religious people in general have responsibility here than "most Muslims".

IMO, the descending order of responsibility goes something like this:

- the killers themselves
- any accomplices/funders/etc.
- those who support this specific action
- those (of any religion) who support death as a punishment for blasphemy generally
- those (of any religion) who think that blasphemy should be a punishable offense at all
- those (of any religion) who think that it's acceptable for members of one religion to impose religious laws/standards on non-believers

... and way below that, the "social contract"-type general responsibility that anyone has to protect the well-being of society and the people who make it up.

An interesting article by a friend of a friend on religion-as-a-whole's role and responsibility here:

JustinBeach.ca: If we’re going to paint with a broad brush, what if we stop saying Muslim and switch to 'religious people'?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think a clearer case can be made that most religious people in general have responsibility here than "most Muslims".

IMO, the descending order of responsibility goes something like this:

- the killers themselves
- any accomplices/funders/etc.
- those who support this specific action
- those (of any religion) who support death as a punishment for blasphemy generally
- those (of any religion) who think that blasphemy should be a punishable offense at all
- those (of any religion) who think that it's acceptable for members of one religion to impose religious laws/standards on non-believers

... and way below that, the "social contract"-type general responsibility that anyone has to protect the well-being of society and the people who make it up.

An interesting article by a friend of a friend on religion-as-a-whole's role and responsibility here:

JustinBeach.ca: If we’re going to paint with a broad brush, what if we stop saying Muslim and switch to 'religious people'?

Responsibility is not proportionate to culpability, is it?