• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Favorite Ann Coulter Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Mercy,

I didn't hear about this story, so I'm not to sure what went down. But quite honestly, I have zero sympathy for a person like Coulter playing the victim card. It's like a schoolyard bully going to the principal complaining that he's being picked on. Boo-hoo, they're both getting a taste of their own medicine!

It is not playing the victim card, it is pointing out the double standard the media plays when dealing with liberals and conservatives.

Let me ask you a hard question: Would it have been a good thing had Hitler been assassinated in, say, 1935? Why or why not?

I don't think Dick Cheney and Adolf Hitler are all that comparable. And if you do, then you and greatcalgarian ought to hang out.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Oh gosh I HATED when Paris got out of jail....it was everywhere and I couldn't hide from the darn media stations. I didn't want to hear about it because I sincerely couldn't care any less.

Then my parents are in town and they watch the 24 hour news networks. I finally made them change the station because they were playing this instant replay of Paris walking out of jail. I was not happy.

*resists the temptation to upload a youtube video of Paris' exit :p

It is not playing the victim card, it is pointing out the double standard the media plays when dealing with liberals and conservatives.

Strawman. Please tell me that you don't actually buy that "liberal media bias" myth....

I mean, do you honestly believe that Ann Coulter should be ALLOWED to spew her hate?

I don't think Dick Cheney and Adolf Hitler are all that comparable. And if you do, then you and greatcalgarian ought to hang out.

No, but do you realize that some people in the world do?

BTW, greatcalgarian is a pretty cool guy. :)

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Mercy,

Strawman. Please tell me that you don't actually buy that "liberal media bias" myth....

I mean, do you honestly believe that Ann Coulter should be ALLOWED to spew her hate?

Well, let's take a little case study:

1. Bill Maher says the world would be safer if Dick Cheney was assassinated and the media doesn't cover it.

2. Ann Coulter jokes about the media not covering a liberal advocating the assassination of our VP and the media condemns her.

I think that is a glaring example of bias.

And yes, I do believe in liberal media bias, I suggest Berne Goldberg's book Bias.

No, but do you realize that some people in the world do?

Only if they are extremely misguided.

He probably is, I was just referring to his beliefs (you know the insider job stuff).

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Well, let's take a little case study:

1. Bill Maher says the world would be safer if Dick Cheney was assassinated and the media doesn't cover it.

2. Ann Coulter jokes about the media not covering a liberal advocating the assassination of our VP and the media condemns her.

I think that is a glaring example of bias.

Only if Dick Cheney is a gentle, kind, caring soul. Which he is anything but.

And yes, I do believe in liberal media bias, I suggest Berne Goldberg's book Bias.

Antidote: Al Franken and his documentation of the corporate media's slant to the right, particularly that silly Faux channel.

Only if they are extremely misguided.

How about civilians who have bombs flying in their face in part because of his beliefs, or the people who are sad/angry to see that happen to them? Would they be considered "misguided" for defending their right to life?

He probably is, I was just referring to his beliefs (you know the insider job stuff).

I thought that was anyscientologist? Oh well, I get people mixed up too.

Of course, if you're referring to the theory that 9/11 was an inside job, I have reasonable suspicion that it may have been precisely that. (But this is the wrong thread for that)

How come liberals act like they are so dam protective of gays and transsexuals unless they can use the subject of trannsexuality to attack a conservative such as Ann as being a transsexual? Which is a big lie by the way.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
How come liberals act like they are so dam protective of gays and transsexuals unless they can use the subject of trannsexuality to attack a conservative such as Ann as being a transsexual? Which is a big lie by the way.

....what are you talking about? :areyoucra

Booko

Deviled Hen

You didn't ask me, but yes, in the name of free speech she should be "allowed" to.

And if a new network makes a business decision to have her on, that says something about their priorities, and I act accordingly.

As amazing as some of his theories can be, I've never gotten the idea that he's mean. Yup, a cool guy. :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Liberals who hate Ann are saying she is a transsexual. Knowing of course she isn't. So they are using transsexual people to get at her!

I have yet to hear one say so. And if there are a handful of brain damaged liberals out there would would stoop to those depths, I don't see how it would excuse tarring every liberal with that brush.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Mercy,

Only if Dick Cheney is a gentle, kind, caring soul. Which he is anything but.

Wait, because you don't like Dick Cheney, then it is okay for a liberal to say that him being assassinated would be a good thing. Are you serious?

Antidote: Al Franken and his documentation of the corporate media's slant to the right, particularly that silly Faux channel.

Some examples?

How about civilians who have bombs flying in their face in part because of his beliefs, or the people who are sad/angry to see that happen to them? Would they be considered "misguided" for defending their right to life?

I know you are not suggesting that we are at war because of Dick Cheney, please tell me that you are not that misguided.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I have yet to hear one say so. And if there are a handful of brain damaged liberals out there would would stoop to those depths, I don't see how it would excuse tarring every liberal with that brush.

When it comes to politics, if you're not painting with a broad, straw brush, nobody cares what you have to say.

This is why I find the state of American politics today to be laughable, and disgusting.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

You didn't ask me, but yes, in the name of free speech she should be "allowed" to.

And if a new network makes a business decision to have her on, that says something about their priorities, and I act accordingly.

Huh. I guess I'm not as forgiving of open hate speech....

As amazing as some of his theories can be, I've never gotten the idea that he's mean. Yup, a cool guy. :)

I must echo MaddLlama here: What??

Wait, because you don't like Dick Cheney, then it is okay for a liberal to say that him being assassinated would be a good thing. Are you serious?

(1) Please stop throwing the word "liberal" around like this if you want to obtain more credibility from those who disagree with you.

(2) I, for one, think that assassinating Cheney would be an awful thing. If we are to remove him from office, we should use the proper channels instead of doing something that would cause chaos.

But here's the thing--if someone were ordering actions that threatened the lives of yourself and your family, would not you want that person removed? If not, what do you think we want done with our criminals?

Again, I don't such an action at all. But this is one of those issues that very much depends on your point-of-view.

Some examples?

Well, let's see. Hannity the Shark vs. Colmes the minnow. Bill O'Reilly. Commonly being the only self-proclaimed news station to avoid airing breaking news that endanger the Far Right's status quo. Being the only self-proclaimed news station that STILL displays the Homeland Security's terror alert level. Interviewing Ann Coulter as a supposedly reliable talking head.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, Joe.

I know you are not suggesting that we are at war because of Dick Cheney, please tell me that you are not that misguided.

Obviously he isn't the only reason.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Mercy,

(1) Please stop throwing the word "liberal" around like this if you want to obtain more credibility from those who disagree with you.

I was talking about Bill Maher, isn't he a liberal? Like I have said to you in the past, this is not meant in a pejorative fashion. If Sean Hannity talked about it being a good thing to assassinate Dick Cheney I would say, "A conservative ..."

(2) I, for one, think that assassinating Cheney would be an awful thing. If we are to remove him from office, we should use the proper channels instead of doing something that would cause chaos.

So you disagree with Bill Maher, that is good to hear (although I am a bit surprised that it took this long to get a condemnation).

But here's the thing--if someone were ordering actions that threatened the lives of yourself and your family, would not you want that person removed? If not, what do you think we want done with our criminals?

Dick Cheney is the Vice President, he doesn't make orders regarding the lives of others. If we are talking about the war, then your issue is with the commander-in-chief (that being President Bush) and the Congress (who continue to provide funds for this war). I am failing to see where Dick Cheney fits into this.

Well, let's see. Hannity the Shark vs. Colmes the minnow. Bill O'Reilly. Commonly being the only self-proclaimed news station to avoid airing breaking news that endanger the Far Right's status quo. Being the only self-proclaimed news station that STILL displays the Homeland Security's terror alert level. Interviewing Ann Coulter as a supposedly reliable talking head.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, Joe.

A number of things:

1. O'Reilly and Hannity don't report the news they analyze the news. So, this wouldn't be an example of media bias.

2. So, Foxnews is the problem. I'll agree with you that in news analysis Foxnews leans right, but their news reporting is pretty balanced. I would argue the news reporting (and that is really where the bias is, of course people will be biased in news analysis where they are giving their opinions) is liberal leaning on NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, New York Times, Washington Post and LA Times. So, you can cite Foxnews all you want but it pales in comparison to the liberal leaning news reporting outlets that have much more reach and influence than Foxnews.

Obviously he isn't the only reason.

Actually he isn't much reason at all. We are at war because of George W. Bush, the Congress and the American people. If you have beef with that take it up with them.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I was talking about Bill Maher, isn't he a liberal? Like I have said to you in the past, this is not meant in a pejorative fashion. If Sean Hannity talked about it being a good thing to assassinate Dick Cheney I would say, "A conservative ..."

Sigh. Please stop throwing the word "liberal" around like this if you want to obtain more credibility from those who disagree with you.

So you disagree with Bill Maher, that is good to hear (although I am a bit surprised that it took this long to get a condemnation).

Erm, no. I never actually said that assassinating Dick Cheney would be a good thing; you did that on your own. Instead, my objective was to point out that this is not as cut-and-dry of an issue that we would like it to be.

Dick Cheney is the Vice President, he doesn't make orders regarding the lives of others. If we are talking about the war, then your issue is with the commander-in-chief (that being President Bush) and the Congress (who continue to provide funds for this war). I am failing to see where Dick Cheney fits into this.

Erm, Cheney is basically Bush's right-hand man and is a powerful influence in the White House.

A number of things:

1. O'Reilly and Hannity don't report the news they analyze the news. So, this wouldn't be an example of media bias.

Doesn't matter. O'Reilly claims to be impartial--which he is not--and the Hannity and Colmes show claims to be an equal balance of Right and Left--which it is not.

2. So, Foxnews is the problem. I'll agree with you that in news analysis Foxnews leans right, but their news reporting is pretty balanced. I would argue the news reporting (and that is really where the bias is, of course people will be biased in news analysis where they are giving their opinions) is liberal leaning on NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, New York Times, Washington Post and LA Times. So, you can cite Foxnews all you want but it pales in comparison to the liberal leaning news reporting outlets that have much more reach and influence than Foxnews.

I'll ask again: What exactly does "liberal" mean?

Actually he isn't much reason at all. We are at war because of George W. Bush, the Congress and the American people. If you have beef with that take it up with them.

Congress and the American public were deceived, my man. The majority of Americans now know this and are opposed to the War in Iraq.

Why do we no longer support the man that we blindly supported then? Because the Big Bad Liberals stood up and said, hey wait a minute, we can't support Bush just because it feels good to have a strong leader in the wake of 9/11, we can't just give him virtually unrestrained executive powers. The Big Bad Liberals knew this long before many of us did but weren't afraid to let this be known. And because they did, we are a stronger and more aware nation--granted we still have a long ways to go, but we're certainly more rational than we were this time five years ago.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Mercy,

Sigh. Please stop throwing the word "liberal" around like this if you want to obtain more credibility from those who disagree with you.

No thanks. I was talking about Bill Maher, I believe he is a liberal (I think he believes he is a liberal). I am not going to stop using the word because you have a bizarre hang-up about it.

Erm, no. I never actually said that assassinating Dick Cheney would be a good thing; you did that on your own.

Bill Maher said that assassinating Dick Cheney would be a good thing. I was assuming you would think that was a bad thing, but I severely underestimated your level of common sense, I apologize for that.

Instead, my objective was to point out that this is not as cut-and-dry of an issue that we would like it to be.

So, on the question of whether Dick Cheney should be assassinated you are still torn on this one? You think you could possibly go either way? On the issue of Dick Cheney being assassinated you think there is some gray area?

WOW!

Erm, Cheney is basically Bush's right-hand man and is a powerful influence in the White House.

Certainly not as much power and influence that you are giving him.

Doesn't matter. O'Reilly claims to be impartial--which he is not--and the Hannity and Colmes show claims to be an equal balance of Right and Left--which it is not.

Yes it does matter, O'Reilly and Hannity give their opinions about the news, they don't report the news. If you don't know the difference between somebody giving their opinion about a news story and someone actually reporting a news story, then I am not sure we can carry this conversation on any longer.

I'll ask again: What exactly does "liberal" mean?

Haven't we already been through this? A liberal is a person that espouses positions that are consistent with the left-wing of the Democratic Party (although it is not limited to this).

Congress and the American public were deceived, my man. The majority of Americans now know this and are opposed to the War in Iraq.

Why do we no longer support the man that we blindly supported then? Because the Big Bad Liberals stood up and said, hey wait a minute, we can't support Bush just because it feels good to have a strong leader in the wake of 9/11, we can't just give him virtually unrestrained executive powers. The Big Bad Liberals knew this long before many of us did but weren't afraid to let this be known. And because they did, we are a stronger and more aware nation--granted we still have a long ways to go, but we're certainly more rational than we were this time five years ago.

Not really, I believe the low approval numbers of the Iraq war indicate the American peoples' dissastisfaction with the post-war planning (or lack thereof). And obviously, this colors people's perception of the question, "Should we have went into Iraq in the first place?" Well, if you have no post-invasion plan, then no, you shouldn't have gone into Iraq in the first place.

I don't buy the "Bush lied" canard, I do buy his horrible execution of the war (and who would support a mismanaged war?).

Mercy Not Sacrifice

OK this is going all over the place, so lemme start by recapping one really important thing here.

1. Assassinating Cheney = bad. Which I have said from the beginning.
2. Some people think assassinating Cheney = good.
3. In some cases, their position may have merit.
4. Issues such as these depend on your point-of-view. Which I have said from the beginning.

Now, for FOX's slant to the Right. Even if O'Reilly and Hannity get diplomatic immunity (which, ironically, would be something FOXNews would do) from the standard, we can still find quite a bit. Again, a simple wikipedia search was all I needed. Read this source for the history behind it and this for some documented examples of their Right-wing tilt.

A liberal is a person that espouses positions that are consistent with the left-wing of the Democratic Party (although it is not limited to this).

Well, the definition needs to be expanded a little. ;) Short version: "Liberal" can mean just about anything.

BTW, if you don't think Bush lied, what did he do? "Goof"? "Screw up"?

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Mercy,

1. Assassinating Cheney = bad. Which I have said from the beginning.
2. Some people think assassinating Cheney = good.
3. In some cases, their position may have merit.
4. Issues such as these depend on your point-of-view. Which I have said from the beginning.

Please demonstrate the merit (or possible merit) of the claim that Dick Cheney should be assassinated. Unless you are a terrorist, I fail to see the merit behind such claims.

Now, for FOX's slant to the Right. Even if O'Reilly and Hannity get diplomatic immunity (which, ironically, would be something FOXNews would do) from the standard, we can still find quite a bit. Again, a simple wikipedia search was all I needed. Read this source for the history behind it and this for some documented examples of their Right-wing tilt.

Well, of course the Foxnews reporting will seem right-wing if it doesn't contain liberal bias. And again, I am talking about news reporting. This would exclude a lot of the primetime Foxnews shows such as O'Reilly and Hannity. I am talking about the headlines that are reported every half hour (and you could include Brit Hume there, who leans right).

But like I said before, even if we accept the premise that Foxnews is a conservative channel, why do you care? Liberals (oh no, I said the L-word) have NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, New York Times, Washington Post, and the LA Times. Liberals have all of that and you can't let conservatives have their Foxnews channel. I thought you guys were big on tolerance, I guess that is merely lip service. You are tolerant for things you agree with.

Well, the definition needs to be expanded a little. ;) Short version: "Liberal" can mean just about anything.

Not really, the left-wing of the Democratic Party has some pretty set positions:

1. High taxes (socialized healthcare, and I am not sure they would stop there).

2. Cuts in defense.

3. Retreat from the War on Terror (actually the war on terror is a 'bumper sticker' and is a Republican creation).

4. Pro-abortion, not just pro-choice, but against any restriction of abortions such as the partial birth abortion.

5. Pro-gay marriage (I am with them on this one, but only through the legislatures of the states not through the judiciary).

6. More campaign finance reform (or a restriction on the first amendment).

7. Gun control laws (or a restriction on the second amendment).

8. Among many other positions.

BTW, if you don't think Bush lied, what did he do? "Goof"? "Screw up"?

Well, before the war, everybody "goofed" that is why it is called a global intelligence failure. Now, the big goof in my opinion was the post-war planning. There simply weren't enough troops after we got to Bagdhad and it went downhill from there.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Please demonstrate the merit (or possible merit) of the claim that Dick Cheney should be assassinated. Unless you are a terrorist, I fail to see the merit behind such claims.

Lemme put this in big, huge, font, because one of my points is STILL being overlooked:

I do NOT believe that Dick Cheney should be assassinated. I believe that anyone who assassinates him should be punished as a terrorist and a first-degree murderer.

Thing is, though, if I'm your average Iraqi citizen, and I'm witnessing my friends, brothers, sisters, wife, and kids have their lives that much more endangered because of Cheney's influence (not command, but influence) in the war, the question now shifts from one of preference to one of survival. If you were in this predicament, and you believed that one man was largely behind all of this, would not all be fair in love and war? Would you sacrifice your close family members to keep someone who you considered to be a threat to them, alive?

Well, of course the Foxnews reporting will seem right-wing if it doesn't contain liberal bias. And again, I am talking about news reporting. This would exclude a lot of the primetime Foxnews shows such as O'Reilly and Hannity. I am talking about the headlines that are reported every half hour (and you could include Brit Hume there, who leans right).

Again, if O'Reilly and Hannity and Colmes claim to be Fair and Balanced, which they do, then this claim goes out the window. But it's good to see that you understand that Brit Hume leans well to the Right.

But like I said before, even if we accept the premise that Foxnews is a conservative channel, why do you care? Liberals (oh no, I said the L-word) have NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, New York Times, Washington Post, and the LA Times. Liberals have all of that and you can't let conservatives have their Foxnews channel. I thought you guys were big on tolerance, I guess that is merely lip service. You are tolerant for things you agree with.

"Tolerance." That'd take a whole thread to discuss.

The thing is, most progressives, libertarians, Marxists, and centrists are commonly labeled as "liberals" by the Far-Right, yet there are fundamental differences between all four groups. "Liberal" is simply too sweeping a word, and I'll be honest here, it just sounds like childplay to keep using it like this.

On the allegations of "liberal media bias," I made a comment on RF some time ago:

When the media holds the Left* under the spotlight, it's called honest reporting.
When the media holds the Right under the spotlight, it's called liberal bias.

* - here, basically, anyone in the above-mentioned groups. It's easier to define what the Left is not than what it is.

Not really, the left-wing of the Democratic Party has some pretty set positions:

What about the right wing?

Are you assuming that everyone not associate with the Right is a Democrat? You do realize that there are those on the Far Left who hate the Democratic Party, right?

Well, before the war, everybody "goofed" that is why it is called a global intelligence failure. Now, the big goof in my opinion was the post-war planning. There simply weren't enough troops after we got to Bagdhad and it went downhill from there.

See, this is what gets me about the Right. If one of your own does something this bad, you use PC language to justify it (that's right, Joe, the Big Bad Liberals do not have a monopoly on "PC" language.). However, if the Big Bad Liberals do something that is even mildly out of line, you raise hell. :rolleyes:

THAT, my man, is bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.