• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first Eucharist...

anders

Mr_Spinkles said:
I am reminded of the Lilliputian wars in Gulliver's Travels...
This was in response to wine handling, but IIRC, the Lilliputian wars were a calque on the transubstantiation/consubstantiation controversy.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Mr_Spinkles said:
I went to a Catholic high school...
Amusing story, when I first had communion the priest asked "what do you say?" to which I replied;

"cheers."

I didn't pay much attention to religious teachings and had no idea. The priest wanted to throttle me, and my classmates almost wet themselves with laughter.

Happy days.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Since the churches in question believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, whether transubstantiation or consubstantiation, they either consume the consecrated bread and wine, or save some of it for communion to the ill and infirm. Leftover wine is usually poured into a special sink called the "piscina." It drains, not into the sewer, but onto the ground under the building, which has been consecrated.

Our church used port wine. On one Easter Sunday, I was Eucharistic Minister, and ended up with an almost-full chalice (which I had to consume). That's a lot of port wine! I hadn't eaten breakfast, either...so it was stagger up the stairs with numb lips and fingertips and sit weaving in my chair during Sunday School.

Fortunatley I never had to take communion. Can i ask those who say that it IS the body of Christ how that is supposed to work?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Well, later that year, I told a friend the embarrassing story. "Those crackers are the Body of Christ....you threw away Jesus!" I replied that they tasted like cardboard.... "It's unlevened bread...it sort of melts in your mouth. You threw away Jesus!"

I hope you guys aren't too mad at me, it was an honest mistake...how big of an offense is this? :eek:
Lol. I don't see how anyone could be mad at ya, especially since you didn't know.
Too be honest, I would have been in a similiar situation had that been me.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Lol. I don't see how anyone could be mad at ya, especially since you didn't know.
Too be honest, I would have been in a similiar situation had that been me.

i would have just stayed sat in my seat, but then again, a Pagan in a Catholic school... i think i would have bigger things to worry about lol.

anders

Since the churches in question believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, whether transubstantiation or consubstantiation, they either consume the consecrated bread and wine, or save some of it for communion to the ill and infirm. Leftover wine is usually poured into a special sink called the "piscina." It drains, not into the sewer, but onto the ground under the building, which has been consecrated.

Our church used port wine. ...
The handling of leftovers in my part of the world is pretty much like that.

The requirements for Church of Sweden Eucharist wine is that it is "red, heavy, sweet, fragrant", which also implies a very good quality port. A fact known to a minority only is that this wine is exempt from our superheavy alcohol tax!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I loved the story as I am sure would God... I expect he is teasing Jesus about it even now............................................

I have also found the various traditions mentioned in this thread very interesting.

I actually Believe closer to the Catholics on the matter of the Body and Blood of Christ But I am not quite so much in ore of it perhaps.

I have taken communion in many Churches... from a small room in a flat in Hong Kong , given by missionaries To numerous Churches even my own home when used for a bible class. The baptist church I attended for a while left the wine in individual glasses in pew holders... every one took it at the same time..

As to the church of England many members believe you must be confirmed to take communion... this is not so. but you must understand and respect the occasion.
Children may now take communion like in the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

The wine is supplied by a few authorised church dealers in the UK to an agreed standard... Much like a good quality desert wine.
The wafer are large and circular with break marks in them so that the priest can very easily divide them up.
The Wine is in large chalices and is used mixed with water... some priests seem to like it stronger than others.
Often, extra wine and wafers are consecrated during the service,to be kept in the Ambry a locked and consecrated safe behind a curtain with a permanently lit candle over it. this is used by the priest during home or sick visits. It also contains the reserve of Holy oil blessed by a bishop.
General confession is said and time to contemplate is given before the sharing of the bread and wine.
All left over wine and crumbs are consumed by the presiding priest.
I have attended Catholic Eucharists Though not taken part, and there is almost no differences to be observed during the services.

I have noticed most priests pass the chalice to the person to hold them selves during smaller services... some go so far as to have the communicants pass the wine to each other, saying the blood of Christ as they do so. It seems mostly the younger High church priests have been taught to do this.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Well, later that year, I told a friend the embarrassing story. "Those crackers are the Body of Christ....you threw away Jesus!" I replied that they tasted like cardboard.... "It's unlevened bread...it sort of melts in your mouth. You threw away Jesus!"

I think those waffers are tastey. I wonder if I can ask a Priest for some, so I can snack at home. Yes, I know I am blasphemous. :D

des

I suppose it might be in a Catholic church, but it isn't so in a progressive protestant church. We have kids that help out in the service, washing the cups and so on. I have seen them drink any of the grape juice that hasn't been drunk and eat the bread (it is usually regular whole wheat bread-- hey we're liberal :)) except during passover.
I don't think anyone thinks anything much of it, though I found it kind of funny. And hey, I don't want to wash a ton of little teensy cups. For us, since it is a symbolic event, it only has meaning within the context of a worship service.

Though I did think the original story was funny.

--des

I think those waffers are tastey. I wonder if I can ask a Priest for some, so I can snack at home. Yes, I know I am blasphemous. :D

namguy

I went to a Catholic high school, starting my sophomore year. The ceremonies I attended inside our gymnasium were the first Catholic masses I had ever been to...it was all very strange to me. Prior to this, I had only been to Presbyterian churches. Eventually the time came in the mass for the Eucharist.

Now, keep in mind, at this time I was completely ignorant of the Catholic faith other than a few things: that they had a Pope, bishops, confessed their sins to priests, and prayed to Saints like Mary. I was also a new student, very nervous and timid.

So anyway, I noticed that people began lining up to drink from a cup of wine, and take what I thought was bread. At first I thought I shouldn't go up, since I wasn't Catholic...but then I thought "hey, we're all Christians, right?" Besides, I would have thought someone would tell me if I was supposed to do something different, and I figured I might be scolded or thought disrespectful if I remained in my seat.

In my Presbyterian church, the ceremony of the Eucharist was performed extremely rarely, and little square peices of actual bread were used. At this Catholic service, small coin-chaped crackers with crosses on them were used. As I came to the front of the line to receive my cracker, I realized I had no idea what I was doing. I saw other people crossing themselves after they took the crackers...I tried to memorize "up, down, left, right".

I arrived. The priest said "Body of Christ" and held up the cracker in front of me. Instead of ceremoniously holding out my hands for the priest to place the cracker into, as everyone else had done, I awkwardly reached out and took the cracker out of his hands....and forgot to cross myself before moving on.

Now, imagine my horror when I looked down at the thing in my hands..."What the heck is this??! This isn't bread!" :confused: Oh no--was I sure I saw anyone else actually PUT it in their MOUTH? I was certain that this small disk was made of cardboard....perhaps the cross in the middle was where you poke a candle through, so that it catches dripping wax...I had no idea.

I decided to gamble. I put the thing in my mouth to see if it was bread, hoping no one would see. Yep, I was right--it definitely tasted like cardboard. At this point, I felt very embarassed--what I moron I am, putting cardboard in my mouth in front of everyone else. I still wasn't positive that it was inedible, and wasn't sure what to do with it, so I took it out of my mouth and put it in my pocket, again hoping no one would see. I took a big, awkward gulp of the wine, forgot to cross myself again, and took my seat.

Unfortunately by the time I got back to my seat, the Eucharist had ended so I could no longer see what people were doing with their little cardboard disks. I noticed no one else had brought them back to their seats....

When the mass ended without a distribution of candles, I was very perplexed. As I walked out of the gym into the halls with the rest of the students, I felt in my pocket, and the cardboard coin was still there...what am I supposed to do with this? I didn't want to risk asking someone and looking like an idiot, so I clandestinely threw it into a trashcan I passed. Problem solved! Next time I'll pay closer attention to what people were doing with these things...

I hope you guys aren't too mad at me, it was an honest mistake...how big of an offense is this? :eek:

No offense at all. I was raised Catholic but I never understood all the condrictions the Catholic Church made. Just 'till recently the Pope declaired that babies that wern't Baptized that died do go to Heaven as opposed to going to hell. The Catholic Church 'makes up rules' as they go a long! It's true.

Remember this, the Catholic Church is "big business," that's what their all about in reality, they LOVE THAT CASH!:run:

happ

Catholic/Evagelical
As a former Lutheran who is now Roman Catholic, the "Real Presence" of Christ bodily in the Eucharist is a long-held belief. The consecration of the sacrament [either transubstantiation=Catholic or consubstantiation=Lutheran] signifies that the Jesus of the Upper Room & Golgotha is now among us. After the distribution the rest of the elements are consumed at the altar or reserved. Roman Catholics hold strongly to the belief that Christ's holy presence remains among us and chapels are set aside for the Reserve Sacrament or Tabernacle. Anglicans basically follow the Roman Catholic customs but are less likely to have processions [Corpus Christi] and some parishes do not reserve the elements.

Lutheran practice runs the gambit. Lutherans firmly believe in the Real Presence [that's what separates them from Calvin] but differ on what happens after Holy Communion. Most commonly, the leftover bread [they also use wafers] is placed in a special vessel at the altar and then set in a sacristy or in some parishes the bread/host is stored in an ambry near the altar with a candle signifying Christ's actual presence. Wine is generally not reserved or reused due to hygienic reasons; so is either consumed at the altar by pastor/assistants or in the sacristy. I can't image a Lutheran church where the leftover wine would be poured down a sink, but there is a special covered sink/piscina in the sacristy that empties directing onto the earth.

The recognition of Christ's bodily presence at Mass is similarly expressed in all three churches [Roman Catholic, Anglican/Episcopal & Lutheran]. Catholics use incense, genuflexion, bells and some Anglicans do the same. Most Anglicans & Lutheran elevate the host & cup, bow, make the sign of the cross. Kneeling to receive communion is still the common posture though many parishes have removed the communion rail & communicants walk up the aisles for the communion.

All three churches worship in much the same way following the ancient Mass that includes corporate confession/absolution by the pastor. First Communion allows children to receive holy communion at age 7-10 though I seen babies given communion [host]. Infant baptism is the norm. Confirmation in early teens.

BLang

I have always seen communion as symbolic.

First the breaking of the bread and pouring of the wine symbolizes the breaking of Jesus's body and the spilling of His blood for us.

Secondly the partaking of the bread and wine symbolizes and reaffirms letting Jesus come into your body.

I also believe that any man or woman should be allowed to join the communion, for if they let (or want to let) Jesus in their life, who am I to tell them they cannot be in communion with Him.

If you know of any scripture to dispute my views I would gladly admit I am wrong as I am always trying to spiritualy grow.

1Cor. 11:23-34 especially verses 27-30; "Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. A person should examine himself, and so eat the bread and drink the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgement on himself. That is why many among you are ill and infirm, and a considerable number are dying."
To refuse eucharist to one that is known to be of another denomination {unless permission is from the bishop}, or no longer in communion with the Church is actually a loving thing for the Catholic Church to do!

While the original story is amusing in a way, it is also scary. If you don't believe the Eucharist is really Jesus, why would you want it? If it really is Jesus, you should want to repent of all sins before recieving it!

BLang

No offense at all. I was raised Catholic but I never understood all the condrictions the Catholic Church made. Just 'till recently the Pope declaired that babies that wern't Baptized that died do go to Heaven as opposed to going to hell. The Catholic Church 'makes up rules' as they go a long! It's true.

Remember this, the Catholic Church is "big business," that's what their all about in reality, they LOVE THAT CASH!:run:

You have misunderstood what was said! The Catholic Church takes no doctrinal stance on the salvation of an unbaptised child {and never has}. Limbo was never the position of the Church even though many in the Church believed it. The belief of the salvation of the unbaptised is left to the individuals personal belief because the bible doesn't speak of it either way.
The Church doesn't make up any doctrines/dogma's! It holds to all that have been taught from the beginning!
I fear you either were never taught the Churches teachings, or more like most Catholics, didn't listen or care! :cover:

P.S. most that complain about the money angle rarely tithe or give their time.:thud:

Always Question

I am so tired of having to feel people out before I can tell them I'm pretty much an atheist/humanist. I have one friend with whom I can discuss our similar views. Most of the rest of my friends exhibit drop-jawed shock when I'm frank and honest about religion with them. For years I went on Islamic forums and asked questions about their prophet. In return I received death threats, misogynist language and arrogant dismissal. It's impossible to argue religion with most people because religion does not deal in realism or logic and those who believe in it wear blinders and refuse to question it, their excuse being that questioning it is blasphemy.

For years I've had a vision of a future in which archaeologists at a North American dig exclaim to each other, "Fred, look at this! It's one of those ancient symbolic icons from the era of superstitions! It's a wafer that is pretty much crumbling now that was supposed to magically become a portion of the body of an influential wise man. You were to eat it...actually eat it. Can you imagine the barbaric cannibalistic nature of that? Pretending to eat another man's body? What horrifying ignorance existed in those days!" They smile wryly, shake their heads in disbelief and return to the job of digging up the remains of the long-obsolete cult of religion.

nijjhar

Hi,

Eucharist is the Baptism of Christ Jesus and it is highly mocked today. After taking this Baptism, you have to leave for Wilderness to preach Gospel and not to return to your family home.

John is not so much mocked as Christ Jesus. Watch my Youtube Videos for details.

well when I first had a Eucharist, I thought it was something big... then the next time I went to the grocery store I realized that the "Body of Christ" I had digested/ingested was actually nothing more than an oyster cracker that a whole bag of at the time cost 1.89. My view of religion took an even deeper descent towards my inevitable shift towards Atheism. Between the fake body of christ to the sermons misinterpreted, I would go to church on Sundays so I could read the Old Testament so I could learn something truthful from that whole experience. For in the New Testament you rarely hear from Jesus himself and there is only one timeline in all those books. In the OT at least there were historical accuracies and truths.