• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first Eucharist...

MSizer

MSizer
I hope you guys aren't too mad at me, it was an honest mistake...how big of an offense is this? :eek:

That's funny! Well, according to Kant you'd be off the hook, because it's the intention that matters, not the consquence, and according to Hume you'd still be off the hook despite the consequence, because he didn't believe in god. And according to (most importantly of course) me, you're off the hook since it was a funny story.

8D

Doodlebug02

This is a grave offense against God. You should never throw away the most holy Eucharist. But, you probably didn't know better so I'd say that it was excusable.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
I went to a Catholic high school, starting my sophomore year. The ceremonies I attended inside our gymnasium were the first Catholic masses I had ever been to...it was all very strange to me. Prior to this, I had only been to Presbyterian churches. Eventually the time came in the mass for the Eucharist.

Now, keep in mind, at this time I was completely ignorant of the Catholic faith other than a few things: that they had a Pope, bishops, confessed their sins to priests, and prayed to Saints like Mary. I was also a new student, very nervous and timid.

So anyway, I noticed that people began lining up to drink from a cup of wine, and take what I thought was bread. At first I thought I shouldn't go up, since I wasn't Catholic...but then I thought "hey, we're all Christians, right?" Besides, I would have thought someone would tell me if I was supposed to do something different, and I figured I might be scolded or thought disrespectful if I remained in my seat.

In my Presbyterian church, the ceremony of the Eucharist was performed extremely rarely, and little square peices of actual bread were used. At this Catholic service, small coin-chaped crackers with crosses on them were used. As I came to the front of the line to receive my cracker, I realized I had no idea what I was doing. I saw other people crossing themselves after they took the crackers...I tried to memorize "up, down, left, right".

I arrived. The priest said "Body of Christ" and held up the cracker in front of me. Instead of ceremoniously holding out my hands for the priest to place the cracker into, as everyone else had done, I awkwardly reached out and took the cracker out of his hands....and forgot to cross myself before moving on.

Now, imagine my horror when I looked down at the thing in my hands..."What the heck is this??! This isn't bread!" :confused: Oh no--was I sure I saw anyone else actually PUT it in their MOUTH? I was certain that this small disk was made of cardboard....perhaps the cross in the middle was where you poke a candle through, so that it catches dripping wax...I had no idea.

I decided to gamble. I put the thing in my mouth to see if it was bread, hoping no one would see. Yep, I was right--it definitely tasted like cardboard. At this point, I felt very embarassed--what I moron I am, putting cardboard in my mouth in front of everyone else. I still wasn't positive that it was inedible, and wasn't sure what to do with it, so I took it out of my mouth and put it in my pocket, again hoping no one would see. I took a big, awkward gulp of the wine, forgot to cross myself again, and took my seat.

Unfortunately by the time I got back to my seat, the Eucharist had ended so I could no longer see what people were doing with their little cardboard disks. I noticed no one else had brought them back to their seats....

When the mass ended without a distribution of candles, I was very perplexed. As I walked out of the gym into the halls with the rest of the students, I felt in my pocket, and the cardboard coin was still there...what am I supposed to do with this? I didn't want to risk asking someone and looking like an idiot, so I clandestinely threw it into a trashcan I passed. Problem solved! Next time I'll pay closer attention to what people were doing with these things...

Well, later that year, I told a friend the embarrassing story. "Those crackers are the Body of Christ....you threw away Jesus!" I replied that they tasted like cardboard.... "It's unlevened bread...it sort of melts in your mouth. You threw away Jesus!"

I hope you guys aren't too mad at me, it was an honest mistake...how big of an offense is this? :eek:

So the dribble in between must have been the Holy Spirit.

I now understand whats going on .

Cheers

Domenico

I went to a Catholic high school, starting my sophomore year. The ceremonies I attended inside our gymnasium were the first Catholic masses I had ever been to...it was all very strange to me. Prior to this, I had only been to Presbyterian churches. Eventually the time came in the mass for the Eucharist.

Now, keep in mind, at this time I was completely ignorant of the Catholic faith other than a few things: that they had a Pope, bishops, confessed their sins to priests, and prayed to Saints like Mary. I was also a new student, very nervous and timid.

So anyway, I noticed that people began lining up to drink from a cup of wine, and take what I thought was bread. At first I thought I shouldn't go up, since I wasn't Catholic...but then I thought "hey, we're all Christians, right?" Besides, I would have thought someone would tell me if I was supposed to do something different, and I figured I might be scolded or thought disrespectful if I remained in my seat.

In my Presbyterian church, the ceremony of the Eucharist was performed extremely rarely, and little square peices of actual bread were used. At this Catholic service, small coin-chaped crackers with crosses on them were used. As I came to the front of the line to receive my cracker, I realized I had no idea what I was doing. I saw other people crossing themselves after they took the crackers...I tried to memorize "up, down, left, right".

I arrived. The priest said "Body of Christ" and held up the cracker in front of me. Instead of ceremoniously holding out my hands for the priest to place the cracker into, as everyone else had done, I awkwardly reached out and took the cracker out of his hands....and forgot to cross myself before moving on.

Now, imagine my horror when I looked down at the thing in my hands..."What the heck is this??! This isn't bread!" :confused: Oh no--was I sure I saw anyone else actually PUT it in their MOUTH? I was certain that this small disk was made of cardboard....perhaps the cross in the middle was where you poke a candle through, so that it catches dripping wax...I had no idea.

I decided to gamble. I put the thing in my mouth to see if it was bread, hoping no one would see. Yep, I was right--it definitely tasted like cardboard. At this point, I felt very embarassed--what I moron I am, putting cardboard in my mouth in front of everyone else. I still wasn't positive that it was inedible, and wasn't sure what to do with it, so I took it out of my mouth and put it in my pocket, again hoping no one would see. I took a big, awkward gulp of the wine, forgot to cross myself again, and took my seat.

Unfortunately by the time I got back to my seat, the Eucharist had ended so I could no longer see what people were doing with their little cardboard disks. I noticed no one else had brought them back to their seats....

When the mass ended without a distribution of candles, I was very perplexed. As I walked out of the gym into the halls with the rest of the students, I felt in my pocket, and the cardboard coin was still there...what am I supposed to do with this? I didn't want to risk asking someone and looking like an idiot, so I clandestinely threw it into a trashcan I passed. Problem solved! Next time I'll pay closer attention to what people were doing with these things...

Well, later that year, I told a friend the embarrassing story. "Those crackers are the Body of Christ....you threw away Jesus!" I replied that they tasted like cardboard.... "It's unlevened bread...it sort of melts in your mouth. You threw away Jesus!"

the action of throwing the consecrated bread was made with ignorance, the communion should be baptized is in the grace of God, according to the canon of the church, 1322 The holy Eucharist completes Christian initiation. Those who have been elevated to the dignity of the royal priesthood by Baptism and have been aligned more deeply to Christ by Confirmation, through the Eucharist with the whole community involved in the same sacrifice of the Lord.
1323 "the Last Supper, the night he was betrayed, instituted the Eucharistic sacrifice of his Body and his Blood, with which perpetuate the centuries, until his return, the sacrifice of the cross, and so to entrust to His beloved Bride, the Church, the memorial of his death and resurrection: a sacrament of love, a sign of unity, bond of charity, a Paschal banquet 'in which Christ, the soul is filled with grace and given the pledge of glory "[Second Vatican Council II, Sacrosanctum Concilium, 47].

why is thanksgiving to God The words "eucharistein" (Luke 22:19; 1 Cor 11:24) and "eulogein" (Mt 26:26, Mk 14:22) recall the Jewish blessings that - especially during a meal - proclaim God's works: creation, redemption and sanctification. Breaking of Bread, because this rite, a typical dinner Hebrew was used by Jesus when he blessed and distributed the bread as the head of the table, [cf Mt 14:19 , Mt 15.36, Mk 8.6, Mk 8.19] especially during the Last Supper [cf Mt 26:26; 1329 1 Cor 11:24]. From this action that his disciples will recognize him after his Resurrection, [cf Lk 24:13-35] In the gesture of Melchizedek, king and priest, who "brought out bread and wine" (Genesis 14:18) the Church sees a foreshadowing of his their tender [See Roman Missal, the Roman Canon "Supra quae"]. "This cup is the new covenant in my blood which is shed for you" (Luke 22,7-20) [cf Mt 26,17-29; Mk 14:12-25, 1 Corinthians 11:23-26].

ByeRaagi Rayaprolu

the Untouchable Hindu
That's funny! Well, according to Kant you'd be off the hook, because it's the intention that matters, not the consquence, and according to Hume you'd still be off the hook despite the consequence, because he didn't believe in god. And according to (most importantly of course) me, you're off the hook since it was a funny story.

8D
100% well said.
even according to Lord Jesus u must've been off the hook, i believe.

hey, u could've kept that bread at Jesus's image in ur room/praying place at home.
But, i think it wud be perfectly ok with our merciful and All-loving Lord jesus.
me too had same situation when i attended my first and last catholic-eucharist.(i was only a 'believer' pursuing my conversion into this religion, which i later chose not to further) ofcourse i keenly followed the acts of other devotees.

I currently go to a catholic high school. Luckily, my religion teacher and Catholic friends informed me that i couldn't take it.
Also I have always wanted to ask this theological question: If Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross then why does he still sacrifice himself in the Eucharist?

unique75

That is a great story.....really too funny! Can't imagine anyone taking real offense at your confusion and subsequnet faux pas.....including God.
In-deed, really funny!...., But as far as I knew, the "Body or flesh" mentioned in the Bible is a mystery word often misrepresented and misunderstood here. It is suppose to be the words of GOD coming out from JESUS, and given to HIS apostle to eat...., The words of GOD took many forms, and it was only to the Hearts HE nurture, thus, understanding was given.

Ortho

I think your story is not funny at all as some people say, but very scary... and I think deep in your heart you know that. I am an orthodox christian and we have a communion with leaved bread and wine, so it is hard for me to imagine that you could not swollow the communion. Honestly my first thought was that God actually transformed bread into a carton board, just because from the very beggining you should not partake communion with people with wich you do not share common belives and ideas. In early church was a rule, those who does not belong should exit before the liturgy of faithful started. I have a nun I know and she was telling me that at some point she had doubts about real prtesence of body and blood of Jesus in the communion and next time she was taking It she felt taste of blood in her mouth. I do not even try to speculate about "molecules of blood been incorporated in wine" or something like this, because it is a mistery, we do not know how is communion actually becomes body and blood and not just a symbol, but for her it was a sign, not to doubt. My personal experience is that Eucharist is certanly body and blood of Jesus, and not only because He said himself "This is my body...", but because I feel how through communion we reunite with Him and become as a church his body. I stopped going to the church for several years, but that thirst for God, in particular through communion brought me back. There is no sin which God does not forgive and I am sure He will forgive you, but you should take it seriously and to repent.

Jordan St. Francis

If Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross then why does he still sacrifice himself in the Eucharist?

The sacrifice of the altar and the sacrifice of the cross are one and the same: the altar is the unbloody representation of Calvary. In a phrase, the Eucharist is the extension of the cross through time and space. So, in that sense, the sacrifice does not happen again. It is not repeated. It happened once, and enclosed in that "once" it continues to happen until it is brought to its consummation in the eternal eucharistic feast of heaven.

kepha31

The sacrifice of the altar and the sacrifice of the cross are one and the same: the altar is the unbloody representation of Calvary. In a phrase, the Eucharist is the extension of the cross through time and space. So, in that sense, the sacrifice does not happen again. It is not repeated. It happened once, and enclosed in that "once" it continues to happen until it is brought to its consummation in the eternal eucharistic feast of heaven.

Excellent reply, Jordan. I'll upack it further using scripture. Quotes are followed by a brief exegesis.

Heb. 2:17; 3:1; 4:14; 8:1; 9:11,25; 10:19,22 - Jesus is repeatedly described as "High Priest." But in order to be a priest, “it is necessary for [Jesus] to have something to offer.” Heb. 8:3. This is the offering of the eternal sacrifice of His body and blood to the Father.

Heb. 2:18 - although His suffering is past tense, His expiation of our sins is present tense because His offering is continual. Therefore, He is able (present tense) to help those who are tempted.

Heb. 5:6,10; 6:20; 7:15,17 - these verses show that Jesus restores the father-son priesthood after Melchizedek. Jesus is the new priest and King of Jerusalem and feeds the new children of Abraham with His body and blood. This means that His eternal sacrifice is offered in the same manner as the bread and wine offered by Melchizedek in Gen. 14:18. But the bread and wine that Jesus offers is different, just as the Passover Lamb of the New Covenant is different. The bread and wine become His body and blood by the overshadowing of the Holy Spirit.

Heb. 4:3 – God’s works were finished from the foundation of the world. This means that God’s works, including Christ’s sacrifice (the single act that secured the redemption of our souls and bodies), are forever present in eternity. Jesus’ suffering is over and done with (because suffering was earthly and temporal), but His sacrifice is eternal, because His priesthood is eternal (His victimized state was only temporal).

Heb. 4:14 – Jesus the Sacrifice passes through the heavens by the glory cloud of God, just like the sacrifices of Solomon were taken up into heaven by the glory cloud of God in 2 Chron. 7:1. See also Mark 16:19; Luke 24:51; and Acts 1:10.

Heb. 7:24 – Jesus holds His priesthood is forever because He continues forever, so His sacrificial offering is forever. He continues to offer His body and blood to us because He is forever our High Priest.

Heb. 8:2 - Jesus is a minister in the sanctuary offering up (present tense) His eternal sacrifice to the Father which is perfected in heaven. This is the same sanctuary that we enter with confidence by the blood of Jesus as written in Heb. 10:19. See also Heb. 12:22-24.

Heb. 8:3 - as High Priest, it is necessary for Jesus to have something to offer. What is Jesus offering in heaven? As eternal Priest, He offers the eternal sacrifice of His body and blood.

Heb. 8:6; 9:15; cf. Heb. 12:22-24; 13:20-21 - the covenant Jesus mediates (present tense) is better than the Old covenant. The covenant He mediates is the covenant of His body and blood which He offers in the Eucharist. See Matt. 26:26-28; Mark. 14:22,24; Luke 22;19-20; 1 Cor. 11:24-25 - which is the only time Jesus uses the word “covenant” (which is the offering of His body and blood).

Heb. 9:12 – Jesus enters into heaven, the Holy Place, taking His own blood. How can this be? He wasn’t bleeding after the resurrection. This is because He enters into the heavenly sanctuary to mediate the covenant of His body and blood by eternally offering it to the Father. This offering is made present to us in the same manner as Melchizedek’s offering, under the appearance of bread and wine.

Heb. 9:14 - the blood of Christ offered in heaven purifies (present tense) our consciences from dead works to serve the living God. Christ's offering is ongoing.

Heb. 9:22 – blood is indeed required for the remission of sin. Jesus' blood was shed once, but it is continually offered to the Father. This is why Jesus takes His blood, which was shed once and for all, into heaven. Heb. 9:12.

Heb. 9:23 – Jesus’ sacrifice, which is presented eternally to the Father in heaven, is described as “sacrifices” (in the plural) in the context of its re-presentation on earth (the author first writes about the earthly sacrifices of animals, and then the earthly offerings of Jesus Christ’s eternal sacrifice).

Heb. 9:26 – Jesus’ once and for all appearance into heaven to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself shows that Jesus’ presence in heaven and His sacrifice are inseparable. This also shows that “once for all,” which refers to Jesus’ appearance in heaven, means perpetual (it does not, and cannot mean, “over and done with” because Jesus is in heaven for eternity). “Once for all” also refers to Jesus’ suffering and death (Heb. 7:27; 9:12,26;10:10-14). But “once for all” never refers to Jesus’ sacrifice, which is eternally presented to the Father. This sacrifice is the Mal. 1:11 pure offering made present in every place from the rising of the sun to its setting in the Eucharist offered in the same manner as the Melchizedek offering.
Heb. 10:19 - we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus on earth in the Eucharistic liturgy, which is the heavenly sanctuary where Jesus’ offering is presented to God in Heb. 8:2.
Scripture Catholic - THE EUCHARIST

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The Jews threw away Jesus and they seem to be doing just fine. I'd be willing to bet that you are, too. I just wouldn't get in the habit of doing it all the time.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I am a minister in a church that has no particular doctrine with regard to the real presence. Personally, I believe in the real presence (more consubstantiation than transubstantiation), and it reeeaaaally irks me when the altar guild ladies simply throw the unused bread in the trash and pour the wine down the drain. Very irreverent -- even if there is no real presence, it's still a "symbol" for Christ and should be disposed of in a more reverent manner.

espo35

I was an alterboy in a Roman Catholic church in the '60's. At that time, only the priest could touch the eucharist. Since then, they seem to have changed "the rules".

It seems an odd paradox, given the front page headlines of today, that the priests hands were the only ones allowed to touch "the body of christ". Some, it seem, would have been better off had that been the only body they had been touching.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb

Technically you did not commit sacrilege because you did not have the knowledge of what you was doing.

Now that you do, you shouldn't do it again. Even if you do not believe in it, just out of respect.

Goes for calling them "crackers" and "cardboard coins" to -_-

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I currently go to a catholic high school. Luckily, my religion teacher and Catholic friends informed me that i couldn't take it.
Also I have always wanted to ask this theological question: If Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross then why does he still sacrifice himself in the Eucharist?

The sacrifice of Jesus transcends linear time. His sacrifice is one time and yet eternal. If it was not eternal and ongoing, how could it cover sins that had not yet even occurred?