• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mystics Only: Extended Discussion

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Never found a name useful to be honest. As a mathematically minded person, the reality of limitations/quantification have a special meaning to me. Using names is a quantification that brings with it a limitation.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I think I've always been a Pick-n-mix-ist or a Make-it-up-as-I-go-along-ist

That way people seem to be less judgemental when they first meet me and it is a label that is not limiting in any way

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I think I've always been a Pick-n-mix-ist or a Make-it-up-as-I-go-along-ist

That way people seem to be less judgemental when they first meet me and it is a label that is not limiting in any way

hehee, you damn dirty pick-n-mix-ist! Your kind always gets in the way :p

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Well, after talking to a couple of people, I've decided that I want to attempt the resurrection of this thread from it's depths of slumber and see where it might go.

I've found it very difficult to describe to people when they ask me "what is your religion".

Most often, I will tell them it's very very hard to describe in a single paragraph, and that if I were to start, I'd likely leave them more confused than they were before, and if they REALLY are interested, to set aside an hour or so for a Q&A session. And I leave them with "basically, I've made it up - I've made it up for a long time, and I'm still making it up. I'm what many people call 'mystic' and the discovering doesn't really stop at any point that I am currently aware of"

Thoughts? Additions?

YmirGF, do you have a round three in mind?

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Well, after talking to a couple of people, I've decided that I want to attempt the resurrection of this thread from it's depths of slumber and see where it might go. .....
Greetings Methyl. This thread has been much on my mind recently also and hope to help with your resurrection. The events that have gotten me excited are the amazing activity around Eckhart Tolle's writings. He and others getting on the bandwagon give me better concepts to understand what we are talking about here.

Anyone else excited about the activity around Eckhart Tolle (A New Earth), Genpo Roshi (Big Heart Big Mind), or Deepak Chopra (The Third Jesus)? When you couple these with the writings of Elizabeth Gilbert, Jill Bolte Taylor, Wayne Dyer and the free online sessions involving Ken Wilber, Diane Hamilton, Saniel Bonder, Bill Harris, others, Karen McPhee (on behalf of Tolle) and the visitors to Oprah's Soul Series,the word on Enlightenment is getting out.
Regards,
a..1

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Wonder who else has been thinking about this thread...

Wonder if it's a coincidence that you've been thinking resurrecting it as well...

I'm planning to do a bit of a "finding my self" in the near future - preparing for a big adventure.

The only person I've heard of that you mentioned is Deepak Chopra. I think I've read one of his books - can't remember which though.

I'm getting mum to send me down her books "Conversations with God" by Neale Donald Walsch - I've loved the books and they give me a ton of inspiration - just what I'll need to kick-start my self.

UnityNow101

Anyone else excited about the activity around Eckhart Tolle (A New Earth), Genpo Roshi (Big Heart Big Mind), or Deepak Chopra (The Third Jesus)?

Absolutely. And I am more glad to have found the wisdom contained within the writings of Jiddu Krishnamurti and George Ivanovitch Gurdjieff, the father of this new age way of thinking, which is really what has been taught in the most ancient of traditions.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Based on his book, "Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao," Dr. Wayne Dyer seems to be in this realm also. Anybody agree?

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Absolutely. And I am more glad to have found the wisdom contained within the writings of Jiddu Krishnamurti and George Ivanovitch Gurdjieff, the father of this new age way of thinking, which is really what has been taught in the most ancient of traditions.
Glad to see others tuned in to these significant events.
The names you mention are new to me, thanks.

I posted links before to Genpo Roshi's "Big Heart, Big Mind" videos. I think its only appropriate to post them here as well.
:angel2:

YouTube - .......
Thanks for the links, Trouble. Genpo certainly has an interesting approach. He and Bill Harris (of Centerpointe) have joined to conduct weekend seminars to help others experience the Oneness. Have you come across Bill Harris?

Mr Cheese

some thoughts:

“Growth in experience implies a serious self-doubt and self-questioning
in which values previously held seem to be completely exploded and no
other tangible values come to take their place. This may even take the
form of a crisis of religious faith in which our whole conception of God
and of our relationship to him may be tuned upside down. There may seem
to be ‘no God’ at all, or else our relationship to him may seem so
desperate that we feel as though we are damned, in our moments of
darkness.”

–Thomas Merton

“To be a Buddhist
You must not be a Buddhist“
–Buddha
When we search endlessly for something, a label often we never find. As you say, the “work” is there
and carries on being there regardless.
Labels are Labels…. it is too easy to follow vain pride and proclaim I am this, and thus I am not that.
…..
“Religion is club, hence the beatings
Spirituality is a path, hence the journey”
–Sis. Artemisias

What is Sister Artemisias saying?

It is too easy to fit a round peg in a round hole. Some people approach their spiritual/religious journey that way. They run out, buy books, nice hats with fluffy bits on and a picture of a pink moose. Once the books are read, the nice fluffy hat can be worn; we can devote decades to saying mantra to the pink moose….
What have we achieved?
We have achieved a nice devotion to a path, a religion, a mantra, a pink moose.
…
The alternative is to be dynamic. To change…to BE…
To literally follow a journey, to GROW, to develop..to become
sure we can have a devotion to a path or a pink moose mantra along the way
but we need to not join clubs….we need to be on a journey. So once you have painted a wall with a brush you can learn to use a roller. it is too easy to get stuck saying magic words to pink moose and thinking that’s where its at….
…
So dont be afraid to feel you arent part of a club…
as in my opinion, that is a good thing…
I identify with the Holy Grail personally, as I grew up in the shadow of Glastonbury, England…
However… as some say, I think LOVE is the only true universal religion….
Of course discerning what love IS…is another story….
“I gained nothing from supreme enlightenment
It is for that very reason it is called supreme enlightenment.”

–Buddha