• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mythical Beasts

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
After reading all of the debates on Satan, I see that many of you at least entertian the idea of demons and angels. I've also asked for you're thoughts on the paranormal, and many of you believe in souls, ghosts, and spirits.
So we'll take it a step further. Does anyone believe in the existance of mythological creatures? Are there any you truelly think are real or not real? If any are real, where did they come from and where are they now? Do they serve a role in your faith?
I'll give my ideas on the topic after a few people have posted.

ayani

the "kraken" is clealy another name for what we now call the giant squid.

and as we don't really know how huge the squid can get, there may well be some crazily monstrous giant squids out there.

my faith doesn't really bring mythic animals into the equation at all- but if i did meet one, i would be expected to treat it carefully and compassionately as i would with all living beings (people included).

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Many mythical beasts were the result of ancient people with active imaginations and limited scientific knowledge stumbling upon the same types of fossils we find today. It is believed that the cyclops, for example, was dreamed up after some one ran across a wooly mammoth skull with its single large hole in the front for the trunk.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Many mythical beasts were the result of ancient people with active imaginations and limited scientific knowledge stumbling upon the same types of fossils we find today. It is believed that the cyclops, for example, was dreamed up after some one ran across a wooly mammoth skull with its single large hole in the front for the trunk.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Real Sorceror said:
So we'll take it a step further. Does anyone believe in the existance of mythological creatures?
Of course. Mythological images exist; and as symbols of internal, spiritual concepts, the things they represent also exist.

Real Sorceror said:
Are there any you truelly think are real or not real?
Okay, have to clarify what you mean by "real." If you mean, "an idea that does not have a corresponding actuality," then we have to look at what it is you are considering, namely: the symbol or its meaning. Symbols rarely are real --they don't have to be, as their whole purpose is to represent something else.

Real Sorceror said:
If any are real, where did they come from and where are they now? Do they serve a role in your faith?
Mythological images come from the same place all symbols do: our imagination. The concepts they represent are aspects of us, so they come from wherever we come from (reality-wise). Some mythological images do serve a role "in my faith," that is to inform me about myself; others do not serve that role, as they belong to other people and inform them of them, not me. Those ones are just fanciful images with no, or improper, meaning attached, for me.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Willamena said:
Okay, have to clarify what you mean by "real." If you mean, "an idea that does not have a corresponding actuality," then we have to look at what it is you are considering, namely: the symbol or its meaning. Symbols rarely are real --they don't have to be, as their whole purpose is to represent something else.
Ah, sorry if the OP wasn't clear. I meant "real" as in flesh and blood. Obviously the concept and symbolism are real, I'm asking if the creature is an actual living, breathing thing.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Real Sorceror said:
Ah, sorry if the OP wasn't clear. I meant "real" as in flesh and blood. Obviously the concept and symbolism are real, I'm asking if the creature is an actual living, breathing thing.
Then my answer holds.

:)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I think its perfectly possible for many mythical animals to have real origins.

The unicorn for example is not that fantastic, a horse with a horn - not such a crazy image. Also, since there are medicines based upon the horn and blood of the unicorn, its hard for me to understand how a medicine could rely on an entirely non-existant body part. An extinct or mutant ungulate is a plausible explanation, for me.

The mermaid is more controversial, but the idea of an ape or even homonid adapted for a semi-aquatic lifestyle is not so ridiculous, especially considering the possibility of our own semi-aquatic origins.

Dragons - well, we have crocodiles and komodo monitor lizards, plus the giant anaconda, these creatures could easily inspire exaggerated stories. Winged serpents also feature in a great number of ancient stories, possibly because there once was a flying snake, or a gliding snake at least.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Real Sorceror said:

When a symbol is objectified it's quite real to the one experiencing its objectification.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
FeathersinHair said:
Just because beings are mythical doesn't mean they don't exist.
Precisely.
I saw your old post about Unicorns. That was very interesting. I hadn't realized that there where similiar legends in Asia.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
FeathersinHair said:
Oh, dear. *blushes* I'm afraid I've forgotten which one that was.
:D Thats alright. I saw it after I noticed the list of similiar threads at the bottom of the page. Thats a nice feature for an internet forum.

Faint

Real Sorceror said:
:D Time to blow everyone's mind and go way "out there".
Alright, so I have a theory that many mythical beasts are actually the "native wildlife" of Heaven and Hell(or some other dimension). I could totally see the Manticore evolving "naturally" in a place Hell.
So manticores exist?