• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name Some Wars Caused By Religion!

How often is religion a major factor in the cause of wars?

• Total voters

joeboonda

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Some claim that Hitler was an atheist and point to his actions in criticizing atheism. However, this is nonsense! Hitler was born and bred a Catholic, he grew up in a religion and in a culture that was anti-semitic. He was motivated by a desire to purge the earth of the evil Jews and set out to 'cleanse' the world of Jews in his 'final solution'.. In Mein Kampf, he states, "Therefore, I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews, I am doing the Lord's work." Again, in a Nazi Christmas celebration in 1926, Hitler stated: "Christ was the greatest early fighter in the battle against the world enemy, the Jews . . . The work that Christ started but could not finish, I--Adolf Hitler--will conclude." In a Reichstag speech in 1938, Hitler again confirmed the religious origins of his crusade, "I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews, I am fighting for the Lord's work." He was a Catholic until his death. Hitler discussed his Catholocism with many including Gerhard Engel, one of his generals, in 1941. He told Engle, "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so," he told . Hitler was nearly assassinated in Munich in November, 1939. His response: "Now I am completely content. The fact that I left the Burgerbraukeller earlier than usual is a corroboration of Providence's intention to let me reach my goal." The Pope also sent his special personal congratulations! Later the Pope was to publicly describe Hitler's opposition to Russia as a "high-minded gallantry in defense of the foundation of Christian culture." Several German bishops openly supported Hitler's invasion of Russia, calling it a "European crusade." Other religious victims of Hitler's wrath were in Yugoslavia, where Hitler installed a Croatian, Ante Pavelic, as his puppet, and Pavelic, a Catholic like Hitler, began extermination of the Serbs, who were Greek Orthodox. [/SIZE][/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2]"Hitler's Religion" from the book Lead Us Not Into Penn Station, by Anne Nicol Gaylor, 1983.[/SIZE][/FONT]​
The same book I quoted from goes into great detail about why Hitler was NOT a christian but I don't feel like typing all that so believe what you will, even if you dismiss Hitler one cannot dismiss the 170 million killed by atheistic states.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The same book I quoted from goes into great detail about why Hitler was NOT a christian but I don't feel like typing all that so believe what you will, even if you dismiss Hitler one cannot dismiss the 170 million killed by atheistic states.
And the same book I quoted from not only shows shows that Hitler was a Christian, but also references several other sources that show that Hitler was a Christian.

You are the one making assumptions here, not me.

Popeyesays

World War Two was not really started by Germany and Hitler-it started in 1937 when japan invaded Manchuria.

That's in the true historical sense.

Germany's participation in the second world war actually began with the signing of the treaty which ended World War One. Now Hitloer is still a racist bigot with nationalistic overtones. The invasion of Poland was still performed on fabricated grounds. Hitler was a monster, but a self-made-not God-made sense.

Religion as a cause of wars, where religious powers provoke and initiate hostilities are not so common after the end of the Thirty Years War (1648). As a monstrosity the Thiry years War (1618-1648) is certainly in the running for first place.

Nationalism became the first place initiator of wars with the French Revolution and the rise of Napoleon.

Regards,
Scott

Trey of Diamonds

If you think about it, most wars are not caused by religion but by people using relgion as an excuse to go to war. Even the Crusades were not started because of religion and they were considered the most religious war ever.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Religion (in many guises, i.e. nationalism) is what it takes to get large numbers of people to fight, kill and die. It is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for war.

Trey of Diamonds

doppelgänger;884678 said:
Religion (in many guises, i.e. nationalism) is what it takes to get large numbers of people to fight, kill and die. It is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for war.

I agree that religion can, and often is, a motivator for the soldier fighting the war but the soldiers don't start wars, leaders do. To look for the cause of wars you have to examine the motivation of the leaders involved. You will find that religion is more of a recruiting tool, motivator and justifier after the fact.

wednesday

Jesus
doppelgänger;884678 said:

I agree, but it makes me sick that this happens.

rojse

RF Addict
If you think about it, most wars are not caused by religion but by people using relgion as an excuse to go to war. Even the Crusades were not started because of religion and they were considered the most religious war ever.

Whether it was the actual cause or not, it seems that you concede that people can use religion to convince others to leave all that they know and risk their lives to defend a patch of dirt that they have never seen before, and fight against people that they have not even met before.

I cannot think of many other ideas that can do that, apart from capitalism, communism, jingoism, and several ideals, such as slavery, and politics.

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
But since we have religion, that's not necessary. See how religion benefits mankind?

Yes but the thing is, humanity would fight over something else that can be a very positive thing when you aren't warring over it. Like religion. All because wars have been caused by it doesn't mean it's bad by itself. For example, land isn't a bad thing, since we need some solid ground to live on, but wars have been caused over land. Does that mean we should live without land and just float aimlessly around in space? :p

A lot of times, in fact, people use religion as an excuse to make the idiotic masses fight their stupid war for something completely different, such as land or money or both. And again, they'll just find something else, so getting rid of religion is not the answer. Finding stupid excuses for wars is just one of mankind's trademarks.

rojse

RF Addict
I cannot understand the statements about the lack of wars caused by religion. Even if the motives of the leader were questionable in terms of religious motivation, if that leader is able to convince the fighters that their struggle is about religion, religious freedom, opression of a religion, or so forth, that automatically makes it a religious war, because that is the cause that the fighters are working for.

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
I cannot understand the statements about the lack of wars caused by religion. Even if the motives of the leader were questionable in terms of religious motivation, if that leader is able to convince the fighters that their struggle is about religion, religious freedom, opression of a religion, or so forth, that automatically makes it a religious war, because that is the cause that the fighters are working for.

My point is, a lot of those wars would have happened anyway, even without religion.

rojse

RF Addict
My point is, a lot of those wars would have happened anyway, even without religion.

That is quite an authoritative statement. What knowledge do you base this on?

Does that also mean that you concede that not all wars would have happened anyway?

Even should the leaders have not believed in their cause in terms of a religious crusade, would the soldiers have been so willing to risk their lives for little or no money without the conviction of their religious beliefs?

gnomon

Bumped to light after an insightful comment by Fluffy in an unrelated thread. Religion as a catalyst for war but not necessarily the whole cause of war.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Afamous battle fought between the franks and burgundian army lead by charles martel which defeated an army of moors lead by abdul rahman which halted the invasion of europe by Islam and is seen as a turning point for europe and the beggining of charlemagnes cruelty as you were a christian or your head was cut off