• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name Some Wars Caused By Religion!

How often is religion a major factor in the cause of wars?

• Total voters

Yerda

Veteran Member
Yep... What was the point in that?
Judging by the thread title I'd say that my point was that religion was a factor in the fighting. Or are you asking what was the point in the fighting? To which my answer is, buggered if I know.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The war between England and Spain when the spanish ried to invade England with a massive armada.Spain was catholic England prodestant but there was a lot of politics involved aswell.

Elizabeth successfuly repelled the SPanish Armada all round the coast of Sotland, and Ireland, admittedly we had some luch around Ireland, BAD severe storms. It wafter that that Elizabeth ordered a geese be eaten at Christmas every year.

Michel07

Few truly religious wars

o.gif

The War Audit says that although armed conflicts may take on religious overtones, their genesis invariably lies in factors such as ethnicity, identity, power struggles, resources, inequality and oppression - and one factor is often exacerbated by another.
It is often suggested that there has been a sharp rise in religiously motivated conflict.
But the authors of the War Audit say there have been very few genuinely religious wars in the past century.

The Israel-Arab wars from 1948 to the present day are often seen as wars over religion. In fact, they say, they have been about nationalism, self-defence or the liberation of territory.

So why is religion a factor in war at all when all the main faiths have little time for violence and advocate peace?

Because, it is suggested, leaders use differences over faith as a way of sowing hatred and mobilising support for political wars.

Thank you!! I would like to think this discussion will put the whole "religion causes war" fallacy to rest once and for all but past experience tells me otherwise. So much for people's adherance to logic.

Excellent. Someone has been doing their homework. The Romans did not conquer half the world because they were religious. It's no different today . Nazism, Facism, Imperialism, Communism, Tribalism etc. are not religious values but cultural and if you will , worldly values, that killed it is estimated over 200 million people in the 20th century alone. These were wars fought over secular ideologies complete with totally temporal goals being the control of land, resources, wealth and people. Religion can be at times used as a divisive element to garner support but is very rarely the root cause of war.

Michel07

Why do people keep imagining that religion is separable from culture? Religious values are cultural values.

There is a difference between spiritual values and temporal ones and my comment in it's entire content made that point relative to the real causes of war. The religious aspect of a particular people may be used by some leaders to help achieve their goals but that is a manipulation of both religion and people. They merely use it as another tool. The goals are always temporal.

Smoke

Done here.
There is a difference between spiritual values and temporal ones and my comment in it's entire content made that point relative to the real causes of war. The religious aspect of a particular people may be used by some leaders to help achieve their goals but that is a manipulation of both religion and people. They merely use it as another tool. The goals are always temporal.
But it's a mistake to imagine that religions have only spiritual values and no temporal goals. If that were true, there would be no temples or cathedrals.

Michel07

But it's a mistake to imagine that religions have only spiritual values and no temporal goals. If that were true, there would be no temples or cathedrals.

But we aren't talking about why churches and temples are built. We are talking about the root causes of war and that has already been very well researched .
If there was no religion I believe things could actually get worse.

Smoke

Done here.
But we aren't talking about why churches and temples are built. We are talking about the root causes of war and that has already been very well researched .
If there was no religion I believe things could actually get worse.
Do people ever act on their religion in a bad way?

Michel07

Do people ever act on their religion in a bad way?

Of course. All people have some of the darkness in them and all people have some of the good also, whether they are religious or not. When a religious person does bad it is for the same reason as the non religious person.
People can also on a more collective level do bad but their claim to do it in the name of God in my view is wrong and it might be better for them to do it in their own name instead.

Smoke

Done here.
Of course. All people have some of the darkness in them and all people have some of the good also, whether they are religious or not. When a religious person does bad it is for the same reason as the non religious person.
People can also on a more collective level do bad but their claim to do it in the name of God in my view is wrong and it might be better for them to do it in their own name instead.
I'm not asking whether religious people ever do evil, I'm asking whether they ever do so for religious reasons.

(Although a really top-notch religion might teach people not to do so much evil, anyway.)

Michel07

I'm not asking whether religious people ever do evil, I'm asking whether they ever do so for religious reasons.

(Although a really top-notch religion might teach people not to do so much evil, anyway.)

That's interesting. I'm not sure because I cannot really see into their heads or hearts to be sure. I've heard of some people to use religion to do some pretty nasty things but is that the religion or are they sick? One can paraphrase religious teachings to pretty well suit any agenda. I can't remember where it is right now but I know of a scripture that says, " the unprincipled will twist scripture to their own destruction."

kai

ragamuffin
its about difference isn't it , the difference between one set of people and another, one empire and another , its this difference that drives the bigotry and hatred which feeds war and religion is probably right up there as one of or even the biggest the biggest differences that divides people.

its been there all along in probably every war ever waged, back to ancient times and in Iraq and afghanistan today, its in the Balkans, its in Africa , its in the holy land ( is there a worse description of that place ever) its in politics, its everywhere ,doing what it does best dividing people up . even the so called atheist dictators killed people because of the "others" religion

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

Michel07

its about difference isn't it , the difference between one set of people and another, one empire and another , its this difference that drives the bigotry and hatred which feeds war and religion is probably right up there as one of or even the biggest the biggest differences that divides people.

its been there all along in probably every war ever waged, back to ancient times and in Iraq and afghanistan today, its in the Balkans, its in Africa , its in the holy land ( is there a worse description of that place ever) its in politics, its everywhere ,doing what it does best dividing people up . even the so called atheist dictators killed people because of the "others" religion

A lot of people say " viva la difference" . Not all people have a problem with it and wouldn't life be utterly boring if we were all the same? Why do so many people love travelling? Because of the differences.What if there was no diversity in forms of life on the planet? It wouldn't be much of a world would it. No, I think it is still more about control and egoism. Sometimes that egoism gets on a grand scale through nationalism another common source for war.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
A lot of people say " viva la difference" . Not all people have a problem with it and wouldn't life be utterly boring if we were all the same? Why do so many people love travelling? Because of the differences.What if there was no diversity in forms of life on the planet? It wouldn't be much of a world would it. No, I think it is still more about control and egoism. Sometimes that egoism gets on a grand scale through nationalism another common source for war.

Sorry, but don't you mean "Vive la difference"?

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
World War 2. Hey, I know most think it was a political war but we all know what the Nazi's thought of Jews, Catholics and anyone else that didn't see religion the same as them.