• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASA is an unconstitutional abomination and should be abolished!

Flat Earth Kyle

The U.S. government shouldn't be allowed to spend money however they want. The U.S. is in far greater debt today than it was during the Great Depression.
The U.S. needs to cut excessive spending on unconstitutional organizations immediately. As part of the presidential oath each president swears to defend and uphold the constitution which is a document that is meant to limit the role of government. When a president bypasses the constitution and exceeds those boundaries, they trample the constitution. If you walk into work one day and are not the boss and you look at a wall and decide to paint it green, unless you are authorized to do so you are probably going to get into trouble. The "Well, you never said I couldn't do it" excuse isn't going to fly. The very foundation of the United States is under attack by its very own leaders. It is time to wake up, speak up and do something about it!
ABOLISH NASA AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION!
1690439334847.png
1690439442482.png

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Government funding for NASA is certainly constitutional, as Congress determines NASA's government funding. Article 1, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution invests Congress with legislative powers. Article 1, Section 8 outlines the powers of Congress, which include the "power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States... and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by consent of the legislature of the State in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dock-yards, and other needful buildings; and to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."

NASA is a United States government agency whose budget, along with the budgets of all governmental branch agencies, is determined annually by Congress. Congress has not determined that NASA's mission statement to "drive advances in science, technology, aeronautics, and space exploration to enhance knowledge, education, innovation, economic vitality, and stewardship of Earth" is no longer needful and, until such time as Congress determines such, then the continuation of Congress to fund NASA is most definitely constitutional.

If you personally feel that too much funding is going to NASA, then it is your constitutional right to complain about it to your Congressional representatives, as well as vote for those in Congress whom you feel best represent you. If enough people in Congress agree with you, then they can decide to no longer fund NASA. But screaming that all this is "unconstitutional!" shows an abysmal lack of understanding about our U.S. Constitution and how our government works.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The U.S. is in far greater debt today than it was during the Great Depression.
And your solution includes abolishing NASA to save money? Money invested in space exploration has repaid man in spades both in practical application and an increased understanding of physical reality, the dividends of which remain to be seen as with the study of electromagnetism leading to electric light at night. Basic science is ALWAYS worth the investment.

If your interest in recovering wasted money is sincere, begin with the cost of elective wars and tax breaks to the wealthy.
When a president bypasses the constitution and exceeds those boundaries, they trample the constitution.
But it's not your call or mine when that has happened. Only one body has the power to declare NASA unconstitutional, and they need somebody to make the case in court first. I haven't seen much interest in that before now.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Right shut down nasa, add at least 18000 directly employed and up to 150,000 sub contractors to the unemployment register.

What happens to all the patents?

Nasa has invested/developed ground breaking technology that makes your life more comfortable, with the possibility of more breakthroughs in the future...

Throw it all away because @Flat Earth Kyle has a bee in his bonnet

Flat Earth Kyle

Government funding for NASA is certainly constitutional, as Congress determines NASA's government funding. Article 1, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution invests Congress with legislative powers. Article 1, Section 8 outlines the powers of Congress, which include the "power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States... and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by consent of the legislature of the State in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dock-yards, and other needful buildings; and to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."

NASA is a United States government agency whose budget, along with the budgets of all governmental branch agencies, is determined annually by Congress. Congress has not determined that NASA's mission statement to "drive advances in science, technology, aeronautics, and space exploration to enhance knowledge, education, innovation, economic vitality, and stewardship of Earth" is no longer needful and, until such time as Congress determines such, then the continuation of Congress to fund NASA is most definitely constitutional.

If you personally feel that too much funding is going to NASA, then it is your constitutional right to complain about it to your Congressional representatives, as well as vote for those in Congress whom you feel best represent you. If enough people in Congress agree with you, then they can decide to no longer fund NASA. But screaming that all this is "unconstitutional!" shows an abysmal lack of understanding about our U.S. Constitution and how our government works.

Article 1 section 8 says nothing about going to the moon.
The government has the power to tax, but it doesn't say it has the authority to spend that money however it wants.
With the national debt as bad as it is, there are far more productive things out there than trying to probe Uranus just because someone in power feels like it.

Last edited:

Flat Earth Kyle

And your solution includes abolishing NASA to save money? Money invested in space exploration has repaid man in spades both in practical application and an increased understanding of physical reality, the dividends of which remain to be seen as with the study of electromagnetism leading to electric light at night. Basic science is ALWAYS worth the investment.

If, your interest in recovering wasted money is sincere, begin with the cost of elective wars and tax breaks to the wealthy.

But it's not your call or mine when that has happened. Only one body has the power to declare NASA unconstitutional, and they need somebody to make the case in court first, and I haven't seen much interest in that before now.
It doesn't matter if it is the most successful rubber chicken factory in the world, that doesn't make it constitutional.
If you feel an amendment should be made that says the U.S. should be able to make money however they want, that is something else.
Until then, as it stands, NASA is an unconstitutional abomination.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you feel an amendment should be made that says the U.S. should be able to make money however they want, that is something else.
To make money? NASA does not exist to make money. And I don't feel a constitutional amendment is needed to sustain NASA. You do.
Until then, as it stands, NASA is an unconstitutional abomination.
Not because you say so. You failed to address my comment about who is empowered to make that determination. NASA has not been declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, the sole arbiter of that status.
When the President breaks his oath and betrays the nation he swore to defend - yes it is the people's job to do something about it.
You also wrote, "Then push for an amendment to make it constitutional." That's your position, and probably not his. It's up to YOU to file that lawsuit and hope it rises to the Supreme Court through the appeals process and is decided as you prefer.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
You also wrote, "Then push for an amendment to make it constitutional." That's your position, and probably not his. It's up to YOU to file that lawsuit and hope it rises to the Supreme Court through the appeals process and is decided as you prefer.

That wouldn't get a Constitutional Amendment which requires a much more difficult process. I say that because that's what he wanted, "an amendment". A SC decision would have somewhat the same affect, I guess.

He'd need standing for his suit. I'd go with a religious approach. Maybe he could claim that NASA is interfering with his right to practice his Flat Earth religion by constantly showing that it is false. I don't think it would get far, but it's the best I can come up with.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Article 1 section 8 says nothing about going to the moon.
The government has the power to tax, but it doesn't say it has the authority to spend that money however it wants.
With the national debt as bad as it is, there are far more productive things out there than trying to probe Uranus just because someone in power feels like it.

The Constitution doesn't specifically have to say anything about "going to the moon." As for how tax money is spent, if it's in a budget approved by Congress, and the governmental branch that gained that approval sticks to the line by line appropriations of its governmental approved budget, then it is constitutional.

Flat Earth Kyle

The Constitution doesn't specifically have to say anything about "going to the moon." As for how tax money is spent, if it's in a budget approved by Congress, and the governmental branch that gained that approval sticks to the line by line appropriations of its governmental approved budget, then it is constitutional.
The constitution's role is to limit the power of the government, do you agree?