• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Necessary Being: Exists? - Mainly addressing atheists

F1fan

Veteran Member
There are no "greater and lesser" forms of existence.
It is a binary in human assessment, X exists or doesn't. We can only assert things known to exist DO exist. When ordinary mortals insist they know God exists, yet can't explain having any special powers, or any evidence to inform them that a God does indeed exist, they are incorrect, and must be deceiving themselves.

The physical realm and the metaphysical realm are just different aspects of the whole realm of being. And there may well be more reams of being that we are as yet unaware of.
No, metaphysics is pretty much Religion Lite, with fewer implausible claims and beliefs. It's failure is still insisting there is a divine force behind all things, yet the description and evidence is elusive.

Tiberius

This thread will be directly relevant to atheists, yet also maybe to all theists and those who call themselves agnostic.

If you are an atheist and you are reading this post, what is your epistemic position on this topic? Does a necessary being exist?

I've never seen any description of a "necessary being" that wasn't just an attempt to define one into existence so the person invoking the argument could call it God.

PureX

Veteran Member
OK, to clarify, do you agree that the mechanisms are the laws of physics?
The "laws of physics" are human interpolations. Mechanisms observed and labeled are not necessarily mechanisms understood. What forces govern the behavior of the energy being expressed as matter, space-time, gravity, heat, light, sound, motion, and so on? What is the source of these "controls"? What is their purpose (in manifesting as 'existence')?

The mechanisms are just the mechanisms. They do not answer nor negate to mystery of their own manifesting.
And what results are you referring to ...
Existence. That is the mystery. And observing and labeling some of the mechanisms does not "explain" why existence exists. Or even why it exists as it does. Because the how does not explain the why. (And we don't really even know the how, yet.)
And it's that assumption off "why" is the basis of the mystery. Who says there is a why? You seem to be assuming there is, yet there's no evidence of a why. So the mystery is imagined.
Ignoring the question doesn't negate the question. Nor does it answer the question. We humans ask 'why' because existence has created us to ask why. We are existence, asking ITSELF 'why?'. Which is why the question is not going to go away just because you want to pretend that it may be irrelevant.
Religions were created by humans for various reasons. They are still important for people today for social cohesion and personal identity. Religion isn't useful to describe how things are any more. Some want it to be, but science does a better job.
Religions were never about describing 'how things are'. Religions have always been the practical application of how we wanted things to be. This is that weird jousting at windmills thing, again. Where you attack mythology for being mythology, and story-telling for telling stories. None of that was ever intended to be history or philosophy or science. It was and still is about implementing ideals.

PureX

Veteran Member
It is a binary in human assessment, X exists or doesn't. We can only assert things known to exist DO exist. When ordinary mortals insist they know God exists, yet can't explain having any special powers, or any evidence to inform them that a God does indeed exist, they are incorrect, and must be deceiving themselves.
You have no evidence whatever that "they are incorrect" (by your own standard of 'evidence'). So why do you get to proclaim their incorrectness based on nothing while you chastise them for proclaiming their correctness based on the same nothing?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes, as always, it is a judgement about the quality of the evidence and the arguments.

The arguments are littered with vague terms and false opposites. The evidence for a 'necessary being' is non-existent.

Just a personal opinion. Your feelings.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes, as always, it is a judgement about the quality of the evidence and the arguments.

The arguments are littered with vague terms and false opposites. The evidence for a 'necessary being' is non-existent.

You still did not provide a centimetre of evidence being an empiricist, empirical evidence to your claim that it is "almost certain" that the universe was uncaused. Observable scientific evidence.

Big claim. No meat.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I've never seen any description of a "necessary being" that wasn't just an attempt to define one into existence so the person invoking the argument could call it God.

Yeah. There are some who dont trust themselves with such inbuilt, militant biases who dogmatically think others are the same as themselves. Bitter.

The God hypothesis is a completely "other" philosophical argument. Not relevant to this thread.

QuestioningMind

But you said "No one has" which means you should know every single claim or argument ever made in the history of mankind. I am only asking for your explanation.

Like I said, if you have what you think is a valid argument let's hear it.

I don't have the time to waste if you're going to childishly suggest that I claimed I've heard every single argument ever made in the history of mankind. Talk about a bunch of hyperbolic b.s.

I have yet to hear an argument that's convincing. IF you actually have one I'll listen. Otherwise stop wasting everyone's time by making posts you refuse to respond to.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Like I said, if you have what you think is a valid argument let's hear it.

But it was you who made that claim.

I guess you made a bogus claim since it was a claim only a character like an omnipotent can make. So lets just drop it as a bogus claim and move on.

So whats the valid argument you expect from me? With regards to what?

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
This thread will be directly relevant to atheists, yet also maybe to all theists and those who call themselves agnostic.

If you are an atheist and you are reading this post, what is your epistemic position on this topic? Does a necessary being exist?

The Higgs Boson, or more specifically; The Higgs Field! (at least from current understanding of physics)

Can I haz a cookies now?

F1fan

Veteran Member
You have no evidence whatever that "they are incorrect" (by your own standard of 'evidence').
They are incorrect in MAKING a claim of knowledge when they can't demonstrate how ordinary humans can "know" any such thing they're claiming. I'm not saying a God doesn't exist, I'm saying their claim of knowledge is invalid, so we throw it out.

So why do you get to proclaim their incorrectness based on nothing while you chastise them for proclaiming their correctness based on the same nothing?
I base their incorrectness on their inability to demonstrate they have any actual knowledge. They claim to know X exists, but can't show how they know it, or that they actually know it. That's not my problem, but I will point out their error.

Compare the claim that Jim knows a God exists, but can't demonstrate it to anyone (objectively) to Pasteur claiming microorganisms exist, and to those who say they can't see these things he provides a microscope. There they are, for anyone to see and confirm. Theists can't offer a similar exercise.

PureX

Veteran Member
They are incorrect in MAKING a claim of knowledge when they can't demonstrate how ordinary humans can "know" any such thing they're claiming. I'm not saying a God doesn't exist, I'm saying their claim of knowledge is invalid, so we throw it out.
But they COULD have knowledge that could not be 'demonstrated' to your satisfaction. And you have no way of proving that they couldn't. So it's YOU who is making the false assertions by your own criteria. Because their knowledge does not require your participation. From your perspective, logically, their assertion is not "incorrect", it's only unsupported.
I base their incorrectness on their inability to demonstrate they have any actual knowledge.
That's an irrational basis leading you to an unsupported conclusion. Do you understand this?
They claim to know X exists, but can't show how they know it, or that they actually know it. That's not my problem, but I will point out their error.
But they made no "error" that you can 'demonstrate'. They only made an assertion that they did not support to your satisfaction. The reason I'm pointing this out is that you have painted yourself in a very big "cat-bird" seat in presuming that YOU are the arbiter of what constitutes "evidence", and of what constitutes "convincing" evidence. And of who is supposed to be proving their claims to whom, and so on. And I think you've gotten so used to presuming yourself to be the goalkeeper in these discussions that you don't realize just how much irrational bias has been able to creep into your perspective.
Compare the claim that Jim knows a God exists, but can't demonstrate it to anyone (objectively) to Pasteur claiming microorganisms exist, and to those who say they can't see these things he provides a microscope. There they are, for anyone to see and confirm. Theists can't offer a similar exercise.
One is a metaphysical claim, and the other is a physical claim. Are demanding physical evidence for a metaphysical claim? Because that would be quite irrational. Physical claims can be demonstrated using physical evidence. But metaphysical claims have to be demonstrated using logical reasoning because metaphysical claims are conceptually derived. You can't physically prove something is 'funny' because humor is a conceptual phenomena. Existence is not just physicality, it's also cognitive.

QuestioningMind

But it was you who made that claim.

I guess you made a bogus claim since it was a claim only a character like an omnipotent can make. So lets just drop it as a bogus claim and move on.

So whats the valid argument you expect from me? With regards to what?

I have yet to hear a valid argument, so it's not a bogus claim.

I've asked you several times now what your evidence is for the necessity of your 'necessary being' but you keep refusing to provide one, so I actually don't expect to get a valid argument from you.

You don't take the time to actually read what I write and refuse to answer questions about what you've posted so I really don't see any advantage in wasting my time attempting further communication.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The "laws of physics" are human interpolations. Mechanisms observed and labeled are not necessarily mechanisms understood. What forces govern the behavior of the energy being expressed as matter, space-time, gravity, heat, light, sound, motion, and so on? What is the source of these "controls"? What is their purpose (in manifesting as 'existence')?
What is the purpose of the laws of physics? What makes you think there's a purpose?

And the way you characterize physics here it's as if physicists have no clue about how the universe works. They must be guessing when they calculate the trajectories of spacecraft.

The mechanisms are just the mechanisms. They do not answer nor negate to mystery of their own manifesting.
Existence. That is the mystery. And observing and labeling some of the mechanisms does not "explain" why existence exists. Or even why it exists as it does. Because the how does not explain the why. (And we don't really even know the how, yet.)
Lots of woo woo.

Ignoring the question doesn't negate the question. Nor does it answer the question. We humans ask 'why' because existence has created us to ask why. We are existence, asking ITSELF 'why?'. Which is why the question is not going to go away just because you want to pretend that it may be irrelevant.
There's not much mystery when it's evident a believer is creating the mystery themselves, as a sort of mind drama for the self. You seem to really like the mystery, so enjoy it. It doesn't do anything for atheists. And it doesn't inform people of anything, and can actually distract from valid knowledge.

Religions were never about describing 'how things are'.
Tell that to creationists. Look at the "Science" thread and how numerous believers keep bringing up their religious belief as a reason to reject science.

Religions have always been the practical application of how we wanted things to be.
The problem is how religion can bring out the worst in people and societies. Look at slavery, execution of people for witchcraft, racism, anti-gay policies, etc.

This is that weird jousting at windmills thing, again. Where you attack mythology for being mythology, and story-telling for telling stories. None of that was ever intended to be history or philosophy or science. It was and still is about implementing ideals.
You ignore the theists who don't follow this ideal and cross the lines, as I noted in the Science thread. Theists are not all the disciplined people you seem to think they are.

F1fan

Veteran Member
But they COULD have knowledge that could not be 'demonstrated' to your satisfaction.
But they DON'T have knowledge. They don't present anything that convinces objective minds. That's not a bias, that is just how the rules of logic work. And these rules do work.

And you have no way of proving that they couldn't. So it's YOU who is making the false assertions by your own criteria.
Nope, I am not responsible for anything others claim, especially when those claims fail at the basic level, like ZERO evidence. Theists need to be more careful about what they claim. I notice you don't tell them to think about what they claim, only that atheists should lay off.

Because their knowledge does not require your participation.
See how your bias works here? You are referring to a bad claim of knowledge AS IF it is actual, valid knowledge. You're not on the side of truth. You are on the side of theists against atheists.

From your perspective, logically, their assertion is not "incorrect", it's only unsupported That's an irrational basis leading you to an unsupported conclusion. Do you understand this?
You are giving the claim way too much credibility. It's not as if Jim claims to have eaten a ham sandwich for lunch, and he just doesn't have support for that claim, at least it's plausible. We are talking about a definitive claim by a theist that they KNOW a God exists. that's an extraordinary claims that goes way beyond a mundane claim. But your bias assumes it is plausible. Atheists are just more discriminating. We recognize it is fantastic and no one in history has even demonstrated any Gods as existing outside of human imagination.

But they made no "error" that you can 'demonstrate'. They only made an assertion that they did not support to your satisfaction.
Their error is to make a false claim. Their act is the EVIDENCE. I am just observing their error.

The reason I'm pointing this out is that you have painted yourself in a very big "cat-bird" seat in presuming that YOU are the arbiter of what constitutes "evidence", and of what constitutes "convincing" evidence. And of who is supposed to be proving their claims to whom, and so on. And I think you've gotten so used to presuming yourself to be the goalkeeper in these discussions that you don't realize just how much irrational bias has been able to creep into your perspective.
False. I am applying the rules of logic on them, and you. If a person assumes a formal position like making a truth claim, then they are obligated to demonstrate their claim is true with adequate facts and a coherent explanation. Short of that they have failed to follow the rules. I am not an arbiter, just an observer. You are trying to make this about me. The claimant made an error that any objective thinker can witness. Me pointing it is is just me pointing it out.

One is a metaphysical claim, and the other is a physical claim.
It doesn't matter to logic. If a person makes a claim it needs to meet a certain standard of credibility. Metaphysical claims are notoriously unsupported and dubious.

Are demanding physical evidence for a metaphysical claim? Because that would be quite irrational.
Then those making metaphysical claims had better not claim they have knowledge, or truth. Truth claims fall under the domain of logic, and when theists fail to follow the rules of logic, their claims fail too.

Physical claims can be demonstrated using physical evidence. But metaphysical claims have to be demonstrated using logical reasoning because metaphysical claims are conceptually derived.
No, metaphysical claims assume a divine or supernatural, and this is an assumption that isn't acceptable in logic.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have yet to hear a valid argument, so it's not a bogus claim.

Its true that you have to hear a valid argument for anything. Just dont say that no one ever has made a valid claim unless you have heard all of them ever made in the history of mankind.

I've asked you several times now what your evidence is for the necessity of your 'necessary being' but you keep refusing to provide one, so I actually don't expect to get a valid argument from you.

See, this thread is not for me to argue for a necessary being. Its a question. Its if you believe or not. But some people have in this thread directly asked with out trying to do an ad hominem and I have answered because of the manner in which they have asked. I will maybe give you a link or two to those posts and you can read them and if you intend to you could do some ad hominem afterwards. The thing is, you have said "You have heard all the arguments". So you have probably heard millions of them so this won't really count for a God like you.