• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negatives In Christianity?

connermt

Life isn't perfect. And most christians don't claim to be perfect themselves (though that doesn't negate the fact that some have a holier than thou attitude). So surely, there's some negatives in the choosen christian lifestyle.
What are these negatives you experience after haven chosen the christian lifestyle?
If there are none, then is this lifestyle perfect?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are negatives in everything.

I find a lot of positives in Christianity. But you're right, not everything is perfect. Humans aren't perfect.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
(you didn´t really answer the question ;) )

True, I didn't. I didn't experience negatives in the faith itself, but I did with some of the people following the faith: Those who profess Christianity, yet don't actually follow the commands, those who condemn others- when Jesus said clearly not to do that, and I could go on and on.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think most paths have weaknesses and strengths to be more commonly displayed by their followers.

"Christianity" in the way it is generaly manifested can have the common mistakes of : strong hardcore fundamentalism (when the "faith" is the most important part, there is a natural leaning to this) Arrogance AND extreme self-deprecation. Also useless guilt.

Those are the ones I can think of for christianity.

Adso

Life isn't perfect. And most christians don't claim to be perfect themselves (though that doesn't negate the fact that some have a holier than thou attitude). So surely, there's some negatives in the choosen christian lifestyle.
What are these negatives you experience after haven chosen the christian lifestyle?
If there are none, then is this lifestyle perfect?

There's very little I find truly negative, although it can be annoying when people place a certain filter over how they see you when they find out you're a Christian.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Are you saying humans are the negative part of christianity?

Not exactly. I am saying that not everyone who follows the Christian faith is perfect. In fact, no one is perfect at all- not Christians, not Buddhists, not atheists, not Pagans, not people with red hair, etc. We are imperfect, so we won't be perfect even if our faith- we just strive to become a better person.

connermt

Not exactly. I am saying that not everyone who follows the Christian faith is perfect. In fact, no one is perfect at all- not Christians, not Buddhists, not atheists, not Pagans, not people with red hair, etc. We are imperfect, so we won't be perfect even if our faith- we just strive to become a better person.
Now you're pickin' on gingers! :facepalm::D

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I can't think of any real negatives to my lifestyle as a Christian - at least not my Christian ideals. Sometimes I fall short of my ideals however - I guess that could be construed as a negative - but in that sense anyone who is ten pounds overweight and unhappy about it falls short of their own ideals.

One could say, "It's a hassle to go to church on your day off and that's a negative." But after I attend church, I am always glad I did so, so it wasn't really a negative after all.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Perhaps the biggest negative to Xy is that it is dangerous. And it's dangerous for a couple of good reasons:
1) As a Xtian, we're called to open ourselves to each other and be vulnerable.
2) As a Xtian, we're called to give ourselves away.

Those are dangerous activities.

mycorrhiza

Fear of oneself or loved ones ending up in hell, if you believe in hell that is. If you're homosexual, you might feel that God doesn't love you or be troubled by the fact that your holy book says that God, at one point, commanded that all who perform homosexual acts should be killed. That only applies if you believe that the Bible is divinely inspired, though.

connermt

I can't think of any real negatives to my lifestyle as a Christian - at least not my Christian ideals. Sometimes I fall short of my ideals however - I guess that could be construed as a negative - but in that sense anyone who is ten pounds overweight and unhappy about it falls short of their own ideals.

One could say, "It's a hassle to go to church on your day off and that's a negative." But after I attend church, I am always glad I did so, so it wasn't really a negative after all.

So then it appears that positives/negatives are as unique as personal tastes....?
It's all about perception?

connermt

Perhaps the biggest negative to Xy is that it is dangerous. And it's dangerous for a couple of good reasons:
1) As a Xtian, we're called to open ourselves to each other and be vulnerable.
2) As a Xtian, we're called to give ourselves away.

Those are dangerous activities.
How so?

connermt

Fear of oneself or loved ones ending up in hell, if you believe in hell that is. If you're homosexual, you might feel that God doesn't love you or be troubled by the fact that your holy book says that God, at one point, commanded that all who perform homosexual acts should be killed. That only applies if you believe that the Bible is divinely inspired, though.

Should the bible be taken literal, or symbolic? Or both? If both, at what points are symbolic or not?
IYO anyway...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not a Christian, but even standing on the sidelines the big negative I see to being a Christian is having to explain yourself over and over again to a lot of disturbed people who ask a bunch of loaded questions and then ignore the answers.