• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negatives In Christianity?

connermt

Becoming vulnerable is dangerous because it leaves you unprotected.
Giving yourself away is dangerous because it can leave you bereft.

Thank you for finally answering the question.
All those things aren't specific to christianity. So does this mean christianity involves becoming "unprotected" in certain ways that everyone else experiences as well?

connermt

The main negative thing I see about Christians is that they do not follow the teachings or philosophy of Jesus. I was one at one time. How many Christians turn the other cheek? How many abide by the golden rule, especially when it concerns those of another belief? How many rich people claim to be Christian, yet will not give up their wealth to enter into the kingdom?

Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be
in danger of judgment:

How many soldiers who claim to be Christian violate this teaching?

And if any man will sue thee, and take away thy
coat, let him have thy cloak also.
And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go
with him twain.
Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that
would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

The teachings that Christians forgot. Or maybe they simply do not like them.

Seems like many responses to this thread prove this to be very true. Thanks for the feedback

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Negatives in Christianity? Wasn't it the Christians that first put marshmallow and chocolate together in their marshmallow and chocolate Easter eggs? And if so, should we really ever forgive them? Ever?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
And yet, here you are, spouting insulting christian words instead of doing what you just said you should do
Seems very hypocritical.....:slap:

Apparently you can dish it out but you can't take it.

You excuse your boorish behavior by calling it humor I guess. I'll just come out and say that yes, I'm being sarcastic because frankly I'm tired of all your insulting and rather ridiculous posts about Christianity.

My words weren't "insulting Christian words" by the way. They were simply sarcastic, human words from one human to another.

See - I knew you wouldn't understand what I was saying! :D

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Thank you for finally answering the question.
All those things aren't specific to christianity. So does this mean christianity involves becoming "unprotected" in certain ways that everyone else experiences as well?
Those things aren't specific to Xy, but they are specifically Xy -- that is to say, the Xtian journey is all about opening oneself to others and giving oneself away to others -- as Jesus did in his example of crucifixion.

Yes. Most people experience this sort of vulnerability on some level. Hopefully, the Xtian has made vulnerability a way of life -- a way of being in the world, and not something that "just happens from time to time."

To make vulnerability a way of life is to never be safe, to never "have a home," to always live with the possibility of being deeply wounded, as Christ was deeply wounded. To live this way is dangerous, on a level that transcends intermittent vulnerability. But, to live dangerously like this has great rewards. I think this is what Jesus meant in John 12: "Unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit."

That fruit is love and fellowship.

connermt

Apparently you can dish it out but you can't take it.

You excuse your boorish behavior by calling it humor I guess. I'll just come out and say that yes, I'm being sarcastic because frankly I'm tired of all your insulting and rather ridiculous posts about Christianity.

My words weren't "insulting Christian words" by the way. They were simply sarcastic, human words from one human to another.

See - I knew you wouldn't understand what I was saying! :D
And you're back...trying to "save face" for your previous comments. Not at all what you said you would do yesterday.
You're free not to post in threads you deem rediculous and insulting, yet, again, here you are.:facepalm:
That's very telling.
In essence, you answered the question. Thank you.:clap

connermt

Those things aren't specific to Xy, but they are specifically Xy -- that is to say, the Xtian journey is all about opening oneself to others and giving oneself away to others -- as Jesus did in his example of crucifixion.

Yes. Most people experience this sort of vulnerability on some level. Hopefully, the Xtian has made vulnerability a way of life -- a way of being in the world, and not something that "just happens from time to time."

To make vulnerability a way of life is to never be safe, to never "have a home," to always live with the possibility of being deeply wounded, as Christ was deeply wounded. To live this way is dangerous, on a level that transcends intermittent vulnerability. But, to live dangerously like this has great rewards. I think this is what Jesus meant in John 12: "Unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit."

That fruit is love and fellowship.

Thank you for that logical feedback!
That was what I was looking for.
As a christian, being "hurt" doesn't mean it won't be less painful necessarily, but does that mean you can "rebound" from the pain easier/quicker? Or no? Thoughts?

sojourner

Thank you for that logical feedback!
That was what I was looking for.
As a christian, being "hurt" doesn't mean it won't be less painful necessarily, but does that mean you can "rebound" from the pain easier/quicker? Or no? Thoughts?
It means that we find God in our pain, and so the pain carries deep meaning for us. For many, that does serve as a sort of salve. Healing comes through pain, and not from circumventing it.

I guess what it really means is that, if the suffering is handled the right way, it makes us stronger and more tolerant, loving, compassionate -- rather than twisted and bitter. For those who have no means to assign meaning to pain, the propensity to become bitter is far greater.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Life isn't perfect. And most christians don't claim to be perfect themselves (though that doesn't negate the fact that some have a holier than thou attitude). So surely, there's some negatives in the choosen christian lifestyle.
What are these negatives you experience after haven chosen the christian lifestyle?
If there are none, then is this lifestyle perfect?

perfect is subjective :p. Also everything has negatives. Not having knowledge can lead to a lack of self confidence and having knowledge leads to self inflated sense of worth.

connermt

It means that we find God in our pain, and so the pain carries deep meaning for us. For many, that does serve as a sort of salve. Healing comes through pain, and not from circumventing it.

I guess what it really means is that, if the suffering is handled the right way, it makes us stronger and more tolerant, loving, compassionate -- rather than twisted and bitter. For those who have no means to assign meaning to pain, the propensity to become bitter is far greater.

Do you think the ability to heal through pain is a taught christian trait, or a normal human trait christians have learned to exploit/manage better?
On a side note, do you think suffering is a tool god uses specifically, or just a part of life?

connermt

1)perfect is subjective :p. Also everything has negatives.
2) Not having knowledge can lead to a lack of self confidence and having knowledge leads to self inflated sense of worth.
1) So could it be legitimately said that a perfect deity is subjective?
2) Sounds like a ying & yang thing - moderation between knowing too much and not enough, yes? Or no? Or sometimes?

sojourner

Do you think the ability to heal through pain is a taught christian trait, or a normal human trait christians have learned to exploit/manage better?
On a side note, do you think suffering is a tool god uses specifically, or just a part of life?
I think human beings heal through pain. What makes Xy different (IMO) is that Christians, by assigning meaning to suffering, heal more completely than those who assign no meaning to suffering.

Without getting into a POE argument, I think suffering is part of what it is to live. We have learned to make lemonade with that lemon.

connermt

I think human beings heal through pain. What makes Xy different (IMO) is that Christians, by assigning meaning to suffering, heal more completely than those who assign no meaning to suffering.

Without getting into a POE argument, I think suffering is part of what it is to live. We have learned to make lemonade with that lemon.

Interesting concept. I think that's forgotten too often in life. So many are spoiled to think life should be fun & easy all the time when, in reality, that's not the case.
On a side note, IYO, should christians be held to a higher standard in life? I mean if non-christian "Bob" gets caught driving drunk, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal is christian "Fred" gets caught donig the same thing.
Is that fair IYO?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
And you're back...trying to "save face" for your previous comments. Not at all what you said you would do yesterday.
You're free not to post in threads you deem rediculous and insulting, yet, again, here you are.:facepalm:
That's very telling.
In essence, you answered the question. Thank you.:clap

Your intellectual acumen is awe inspiring.

I'm not trying to save face. I'm simply responding to an OP and further posts, and deciding to continue the conversation where we left off yesterday.

I AM wasting my time trying to reason with you, but I've got some time to waste today. The weather here is awful.

In fact, I've been talking to my dogs some today too. They always like that, but then they're not too particular.

sojourner

Interesting concept. I think that's forgotten too often in life. So many are spoiled to think life should be fun & easy all the time when, in reality, that's not the case.
On a side note, IYO, should christians be held to a higher standard in life? I mean if non-christian "Bob" gets caught driving drunk, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal is christian "Fred" gets caught donig the same thing.
Is that fair IYO?
Let me make this perfectly clear: (understanding, of course, that this is my take on Xy) There is no "us" vs. "them." There is only the human family. Duality is a false concept to Xy.

connermt

Let me make this perfectly clear: (understanding, of course, that this is my take on Xy) There is no "us" vs. "them." There is only the human family. Duality is a false concept to Xy.

So everyone should be held to the same standards, even if one is worshipping a supreme deity that (assumingly) would be dictating more proper values of right/wrong, vs. someone who isn't worshipping the same deity and may (or may not) have the same sense of what's right & what's wrong?
Or did I mis-understand?
Please elaborate.

connermt

Your intellectual acumen is awe inspiring.

I'm not trying to save face. I'm simply responding to an OP and further posts, and deciding to continue the conversation where we left off yesterday.

I AM wasting my time trying to reason with you, but I've got some time to waste today. The weather here is awful.

In fact, I've been talking to my dogs some today too. They always like that, but then they're not too particular.

The weather here is great, but I'll still make time for you :slap:
By all means, continue:

bigbadgirl

What are these negatives you experience after haven chosen the christian lifestyle?

This is the question I answered in my post. Yes I was a believer, but those are some of the reasons I left. After studying the philosophy and teachings of Jesus and realizing how few Christians followed them, It seemed like a fake religion to me.

sojourner

So everyone should be held to the same standards, even if one is worshipping a supreme deity that (assumingly) would be dictating more proper values of right/wrong, vs. someone who isn't worshipping the same deity and may (or may not) have the same sense of what's right & what's wrong?
Or did I mis-understand?
Please elaborate.
Standards are standards.