• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice guys finish last?

I have been told that in this dog eat dog capitalist society that nice guys finish last. Is this true? Will I be required to become a total sociopath to get what I want?

Draupadi

I have been told that in this dog eat dog capitalist society that nice guys finish last. Is this true? Will I be required to become a total sociopath to get what I want?

As harsh as it may sound and no matter how I want to change it, it is true in most cases. And no you don't have to be one. Keeping yourself from being one despite the circumstances will give you more satisfaction than being just good without tackling any problems.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

It can certainly look that way at times.

Capitalism, at its rawest, is all about exploiting natural resource and manpower to generate the most wealth.
Luckily, there are alternatives. Many capitalist societies have gone the way of social democracy, where they use capitalism as a funding vehicle for social programs that work to benefit society at large.

But the US isn't there yet.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Depends on what you want.
If you want a lot of expensive stuff that is your best bet. But if you find that the best things. in life are relatively inexpensive you don't have to.

Tom

4consideration

Premium Member

I do not agree that nice guys finish last, nor do I agree that one must abandon one's principles in order to live and do well in a capitalistic society.

It may feel like that sometimes, and it also may just be an excuse that people without personal principles that include the well-being of others, and refraining from harming others for one's own personal desire, use to justify their own unethical behavior.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do not agree that nice guys finish last, nor do I agree that one must abandon one's principles in order to live and do well in a capitalistic society.

It may feel like that sometimes, and it also may just be an excuse that people without personal principles use to justify their own unethical behavior.

I agree. Lots of people are totally ethical and still do really well. Besides all that, it's not a race, and happiness cannot be measured in that way.

Kerr

I dont believe in "good guys finish last". It implies there is a competition, which I dont think there is. To me life is more simpler then that. Live it so you are happy. Thats not to "finish last". That "finish" before the rich unhappy guy. Point being, there are more then one way to live, and that someone made a different choice doesnt mean they are finishing after you. And yes, I believe its possible to be materially successful and all that while being a nice guy.

Personally, I am going into science. Like its what I study to do. Astronomy, to be precise. I doubt I will get rich from it, though. But who cares, I am way too curious as to what is out there in space NOT to choose this direction :p.

EDIT:

When I say completition about, I mean some kind of global competition between everyone. Of course there are areas of life where there is competition, its just not everywhere. As I see it, an old man who is poor but happy is just as successful in life as a rich man who is happy.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I want a career that does not involve manual labor.

Then no...Look for careers where long-term relationships are important, over short-term relationships.
In very general and simple terms, avoid sales-type careers, as these are very much measured by dollars purely, and tend towards 'what have you done for me lately' management styles.

I work in project work, which can be a little dog eat dog, but the nature of the projects I work on tend towards 6 months plus (with current one being scheduled for 2 and a half years) so despite being a pretty stressful position, teamwork, and building trust are important aspects of my job.

And no manual labour...lol

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I find that most sayings about how "nice guys" suffer, are generally propagated by guys who aren't actually nice, but rather guys who prefer to complain about other people out their doing what they're too afraid to do themselves.

samosasauce

Technically you can't just "become" a sociopath, because it has to do with brain chemicals and brain malfunction which is generally accepted as genetic

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
..Will I be required to become a total sociopath to get what I want?

Depends what you want mate..;)
For example Daniel Boone was content enough and said-
"All a man needs for happiness is a good woman, a good gun and a good horse"

And Omar Khayyam was happy with a simple picnic with his girlfriend-
"Here with a loaf of bread beneath the bough,
A flask of wine, a book of verse,
and thou beside me singing in the wilderness,
And wilderness is paradise enow
"

Wirey

Fartist
I'm a nice guy, and I'm rich. You know, acompared to most. Assuming everyone who is successful is a sociopath suggests you've made up your mind already.