• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals rules that voter registration must have proof of citizenship

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
"Not enough" Any is too much. This will even hopefully make it less
You have to accept some fraud will happen. It's unavoidable. But election after election dead.people and non citizens just have not been an issue. It doesn't matter how much Republicans repeat it and scream it, America has had very secure elections.
If those voters have a job, a drivers license, a social security number, a primary Dr, take certain meds, a bank account, etc they must show who they are with a picture ID or birth certificate.

How is this going to inconvenience them?
Not everyone has those. Not everyone has the SS card. Elderly, disabled, Natives, those groups get disenfranchised by things like these.

We Never Know

No Slack
Real solution:

Step 1 - Institute a national identification card
Step 2 - Automatically register all citizens with a national ID card to vote when they come of age
Step 3 - Make voting mandatory for all citizens
Bonus Round - institute nationwide ranked choice voting
I was with you up until 3.
I don't think anyone should be made to vote.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
"Not enough" Any is too much.
No, it's not. If it doesn't come close to the same parking lot as the ball park, then it's not enough, much less too much.
This will even hopefully make it less
Why? Since it hasn't been even remotely close to being enough to begin to affect an election, why do we care if it lessens?
If those voters have a job, a drivers license, a social security number, a primary Dr, take certain meds, a bank account, etc they must show who they are with a picture ID or birth certificate.
Except that a picture ID costs money, and the constitution says there can't be a poll tax. And a birth certificate isn't sufficient.
How is this going to inconvenience them?
By forcing them to get a picture ID that costs time and money.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The U.S. Federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled in a case brought by Arizona state Republicans and members of the state Senate against Mi Familia Vota, and Arizona Secretary of State Adrian Fontes (D). The ruling provides that those registering to vote must provide proof of citizenship.

https://www.scribd.com/document/751583632/076-1-Stay-Order

The Ninth Circuit covers much of the western U.S. including California. Therefore this ruling applies to multiple states.
I'm assuming this isn't the end. Hopefully another court, like the Supreme Court, will rule against this. Since voter ID doesn't solve any actual problems and goes against the poll tax.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'll give number three a solid middle finger and tell the authoritarians to stick it where the sun don't shine.

This is America not some left wing european nation.

The good news is it's just not going to happen in this country.

Twilight Hue

Yeah, read it.

Local elections. What are you worried about?
What starts small tends to get big.

Nobody who is illegal should ever vote in any election local or national.

The places that do allow it are going to have a heavy price to pay for it over time. I guarantee it.

wellwisher

Some interesting information on non citizens voting.

What happens is the ballots in some states, have the local, state and federal elections all on one ballot. Non Citizens, by choice or accident could fill in the whole ballot. With the citizen ID, non citizens will be given a limited option ballot, and the citizens the full ballot. There are simple ways to prevent accidental overreach.

The DNC has used the sad excuse of ID's being discriminatory and racist. But that means having to use an ID to buy cigarettes and beer does the same thing, but they don't apply their racist ID standard to that. Their dual standard is a tell.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The U.S. Federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled in a case brought by Arizona state Republicans and members of the state Senate against Mi Familia Vota, and Arizona Secretary of State Adrian Fontes (D). The ruling provides that those registering to vote must provide proof of citizenship.

https://www.scribd.com/document/751583632/076-1-Stay-Order

The Ninth Circuit covers much of the western U.S. including California. Therefore this ruling applies to multiple states.
It seems to me on the face of it that it's reasonable for people to provide satisfactory evidence of identity and citizenship before they can be enrolled to vote. In equal measure the alternative seems like an open invitation to abuse the system.

That seems to me to be true even if, as it seems popular to assert, illegal immigrants strongly tend to vote Democrat and the motive of any court so ruling is to prevent them doing so.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Another "straining at a gnat, swallowing a camel" decision from a court. They should focus on real crime problems not distractions promoted by the extreme right.

Twilight Hue

What happens is the ballots in some states, have the local, state and federal elections all on one ballot. Non Citizens, by choice or accident could fill in the whole ballot. With the citizen ID, non citizens will be given a limited option ballot, and the citizens the full ballot. There are simple ways to prevent accidental overreach.

The DNC has used the sad excuse of ID's being discriminatory and racist. But that means having to use an ID to buy cigarettes and beer does the same thing, but they don't apply their racist ID standard to that. Their dual standard is a tell.
Exactly. Highlighting the fact that non citizens can be allowed to vote in the link is a potentially fatal cancer in the making.

Twilight Hue

Another "straining at a gnat, swallowing a camel" decision from a court. They should focus on real crime problems not distractions promoted by the extreme right.
Putting out a match is far better than putting out a raging out of control fire.

They are focusing on real crime problems and not distracted like those who think this is a small and insignificant matter.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Except that a picture ID costs money, and the constitution says there can't be a poll tax. And a birth certificate isn't sufficient.

By forcing them to get a picture ID that costs time and money.
Make it not cost any money. Not a driver's license but a photo ID.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Make it not cost any money. Not a driver's license but a photo ID.
The only way you could do it is to make it not cost any money or time or effort. Even then, there's no reason for it, since there is no problem that it would prevent.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't think voting is part of your civic duty when your nation is a democracy with mandatory taxation?

Personally, I think it is a touch stupid to abdicate voting such that it might as well be mandatory. Taxation, after all, is mandatory. Who in their right mind would abdicate having a say in how those mandatory taxes are being spent? Add that maintaining democracy in the first place requires civic engagement from the citizenry (in general if you expect to keep your mode of governance - democracy or otherwise - you need to actually put work in to sustain it)? Nah, mandatory voting is an obvious and sensible policy to deal with the nonsensical attacks on the voting system. No, Red and Blue, you don't get to filter who doesn't and doesn't vote - everybody votes, just like everybody pays taxes. Even if they turn in a blank ballot or zeroed out 1040 because they were unemployed the entire year.

We Never Know

No Slack
The only way you could do it is to make it not cost any money or time or effort. Even then, there's no reason for it, since there is no problem that it would prevent.
Look at it like a drivers license. It doesn't make anyone drive better, it makes them legal to drive.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Sorry but I don't care about the time or effort. I mean, it took me time and effort to get a driver's license for myself and then for my granddaughter, oh AND money!

Last edited: