• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No longer Roman Catholic

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Scott, i'm sorry to hear your predicament, and i pray that you can take this time out for reflection and quiet time with God. i have every confidence that God will guide you to where you will be at peace :hug:

ayani

Scott-

this must be very difficult, and also something of a relief. where are you attending worship? do you still feel welcome / theologically ok with going to mass? and as has been suggested, might an orthodox church be another option?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
gracie said:
Scott-

this must be very difficult, and also something of a relief. where are you attending worship? do you still feel welcome / theologically ok with going to mass? and as has been suggested, might an orthodox church be another option?

Who suggested that? If his only problem were the Papacy then I'd suggest he try an Orthodox Church right away, maybe one that uses the western rite, but as I see that he also has an issue with female ordination, I honestly couldn't recommend it. There is absolutely no chance that we will ever be ordaining women as priests or bishops. There is a possibility that deaconesses may be revived and the role (and title) of married priests' wives in the parish is equal, though different, to that of their husbands, but I have the distinct impression that neither of these things adresses his particular issue.

James

d.

_______
Scott1 said:
I don't find the arguments the Church gave compelling in the least...

so you faced the consequences of your conclusion.

Sunstone said:
I am extremely impressed with your integrity, Scott.
i can only agree. :clap

ayani

JamesThePersian said:
Who suggested that? If his only problem were the Papacy then I'd suggest he try an Orthodox Church right away, maybe one that uses the western rite, but as I see that he also has an issue with female ordination, I honestly couldn't recommend it. There is absolutely no chance that we will ever be ordaining women as priests or bishops. There is a possibility that deaconesses may be revived and the role (and title) of married priests' wives in the parish is equal, though different, to that of their husbands, but I have the distinct impression that neither of these things adresses his particular issue.

James

you're right about the female ordination. and perhaps i should just sit and listen to Scott instead of rushing to suggest 'new' churches. :rolleyes:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Scott1 said:
Hey all,

Just wanted to make a quick announcement so there would be no confusion with some of my past and future comments : I can no longer consider myself in communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

This is not 100% by choice, but two members on this forum impressed upon me that my views are not welcome in the Church and are in fact contrary to the teachings of the Church. I respect the authority of the Church, and I will submit to Canon Law and not receive the Eucharist or refer to myself as Roman Catholic unless and until I change my views (or the Church does... but I'm not holding my breath.)

Among other things...I do believe that the restriction of Holy Orders to men only is wrong.... and I don't believe the Pope can speak infallibly of his own authority (ex cathedra).... two things I MUST believe in order to remain Catholic.

Peace,
Scott
Scott,

I am terribly upset by your post. I know how much you love Catholicism. I'm stunned that you would let anybody on RF tell you what you can and cannot believe in order to consider yourself to be a Catholic. There have got to be hundreds of thousands of Catholics who don't believe every single solitary point of Catholic doctrine. Shouldn't an issue of this sort be decided by God -- or at least by your priest? I hesitate to say what my reaction would be if one of my fellow LDS posters were to inform me that I wasn't LDS because I didn't accept certain LDS doctrines. All I can say is, it wouldn't be pretty!

Regards,
Kathryn

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I don't know what to say........I'm trying hard to say something comforting but I'm just too schocked. This is probably the first time in this forum where I'm on border line tears.

robtex

Veteran Member
Victor said:
I don't know what to say........I'm trying hard to say something comforting but I'm just too schocked. This is probably the first time in this forum where I'm on border line tears.

Vic it is ok. Scott isn't going anywhere and I am sure yall will have time to talk things out. Lots and lots of time on this....It will be ok. Scott was doing fine last night...sorta had a bit of nonsense in him even....in a good way.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
robtex said:
Vic it is ok. Scott isn't going anywhere and I am sure yall will have time to talk things out. Lots and lots of time on this....It will be ok. Scott was doing fine last night...sorta had a bit of nonsense in him even....in a good way.

I'm sorry Rob.....I wasn't expecting it to hurt this much. I talked about Scott to my wife, family, church members, etc. Even I didn't realize how close I was to him.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I'm really sorry, Victor. This must be really difficult for you. Please let me know if there's anything I can be doing to help you!

robtex

Veteran Member
Victor said:
I'm sorry Rob.....I wasn't expecting it to hurt this much. I talked about Scott to my wife, family, church members, etc. Even I didn't realize how close I was to him.

sent you a pm vic.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Scott1 said:
Every Christian is part of the Church (I believe)..... I understand what you are trying to say, but you'll just have to trust me that I know Roman Catholic faith and rules pretty well.

:hug:

Whether part of an official Chatholic church or not, you're one of the wisest and compassionate Catholics I've ever encountered.

I have much respect for your honesty and I just know that if God's closing one door for you, another will be opened.

In Christ,
Dawn

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Victor said:
Oh Victor, :(

I was feeling bad for Scott but forgot to think how this may affect you. I'm so sorry. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow... I am stunned...

Good luck with this Scott...

I know you helped me get over what kept me from deciding to come to the Church, and for that I will be thankful always...

Todd

Rajun Cajun
I was as shocked as anyone about this.

I wont give you any advice on what path to follow or what you should do, but can only give you a hope and a prayer that God gives you wisdom and insight to get you on the right path for you.

Best of luck Scott and good to see you back.

Scott1

Wow.... thanks for all the messages... Victor and I will be sure to talk a lot via PM... so don't worry about my dear friend.

Ok... on to some of your questions.. sorry I can't get online often and made everyone wait. :sorry1:
lilithu said:
If age is the primary consideration, why not the Orthodox church?
Not age, but orthodoxy... something I believe all Protestant churches lack... and yes, I believe I am quite close to the Eastern Orthodox Church.
It's okay, I've never really been found of him. No offense, but I think he looks like a devil.
To clear things up.... I LOVE THE MAN.... his book was inspiring and his theology was so loving and perfect it made me look at EVERYTHING in a whole new way... this was not an attack on him but the exact opposite.
jewscout said:
but, hey, you can always come home to Torah, brother
Hey brother, I was born a Jew and I'll die a Jew.... but thanks brother... that would sure make 5,000 years of my ancestors happy!
James said:
If his only problem were the Papacy then I'd suggest he try an Orthodox Church right away, maybe one that uses the western rite, but as I see that he also has an issue with female ordination, I honestly couldn't recommend it.
I'm not looking for women to be ordained... I just don't believe the reasons the RCC gave in giving the subject an INFALLIBLE decision. With Orthodoxy, I could at least discuss the issue without fear of excommunication for even bringing it up... that is what I don't like.
Katzpur said:
There have got to be hundreds of thousands of Catholics who don't believe every single solitary point of Catholic doctrine.
It's not about believing "every" point... it would be like a LDS member following 99% of your faith but believing the BOM was a forgery.... I disagree on something pretty major and it was not those people who "forced me out" but the decision not to confuse anyone who listened to my posts and thought I was teaching authentic RCC doctrine. I don't want to damage the Church I love... maybe some day I'll figure out why I'm wrong, but until then, I'm not going to cause any confusion about who or what I am. Hope you get me.

Anyone else I missed: Thanks and I love you.

S

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Scott1 said:
It's not about believing "every" point... it would be like a LDS member following 99% of your faith but believing the BOM was a forgery.... I disagree on something pretty major and it was not those people who "forced me out" but the decision not to confuse anyone who listened to my posts and thought I was teaching authentic RCC doctrine. I don't want to damage the Church I love... maybe some day I'll figure out why I'm wrong, but until then, I'm not going to cause any confusion about who or what I am. Hope you get me.
I think I do understand, Scott. I'm just upset anyway. I just keep thinking, what if I were to have to say, "No longer LDS." I wouldn't know where to go, what do so with myself. It would be like being without a country. I'd be lost. Totally. So I just sympathize with you from that perspective. I can't imagine what you're going through. I can just imagine that it's hard. So, from your Mormon buddy -- Hang in there. You'll make it.

Scott1

Katzpur said:
I just keep thinking, what if I were to have to say, "No longer LDS." I wouldn't know where to go, what do so with myself. It would be like being without a country. I'd be lost. Totally.
Well... I'm a human being... a Christian.... and a Roman Catholic... in that order. As long as Christ is my Lord and Savior I will never be totally lost, but I understand. The LDS and the RCC are very similar in our communal approach to theology... without our fellow believers, we become "less"... and I feel that pain... but it is more the pain of not being able to receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ in the Eucharist that hurts most of all. I miss Christ inside me... but I'm trying not to be selfish and work things out first...
So, from your Mormon buddy -- Hang in there. You'll make it.
Thanks.... you truly are my "Mormon buddy" and God bless you for that.

S

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scott1 said:
Well... I'm a human being... a Christian.... and a Roman Catholic... in that order. As long as Christ is my Lord and Savior I will never be totally lost, but I understand. The LDS and the RCC are very similar in our communal approach to theology... without our fellow believers, we become "less"... and I feel that pain... but it is more the pain of not being able to receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ in the Eucharist that hurts most of all. I miss Christ inside me... but I'm trying not to be selfish and work things out first...

Thanks.... you truly are my "Mormon buddy" and God bless you for that.

S

Scott, I understand what you are saying; but you could receive communion in other Christian churches surely ?

Scott1

michel said:
Scott, I understand what you are saying; but you could receive communion in other Christian churches surely ?
There is no such thing as "the Eucharist"/communion in Churches other than Catholic (Roman or EO). I don't believe in the validity of the Sacrament outside of the Apostolic tradition, so communion in another Christian Church would be nothing but an empty gesture.

Thanks for the suggestion... I know you mean well.... but my conflict on these small details of the faith does not mean I deny the rest of the truth.