• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No RELIGION = No MORALS?

Atheologian

John Frum
Religious morality...
Question?
Is something moral or immoral because God says so?
Or..
Does God say something is moral or immoral because God recognizes it as so?

I think a distinction should be made between mainstream religions and "disciplines" like Taoism/Daoism, Buddhism etc. Sure they can be called religions, but I like the term discipline because they don't perpetuate folklore and all-powerful deities. They do involve mystical ideas of life and the afterlife, nature and harmony, but they don't encourage stoning your neighbor to death for gathering sticks on the sabbath or necklacing your wife for adultery.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If one becomes a citizen of another country doesn't one agree to abide by that countries laws? Before the people became under the Mosaic law they agreed to abide by it.

Since Pentecost of 33 AD(CE) Christians were no longer under the Mosaic law, or as Jesus said that 'house' (temple) of worship was abandoned.

What is so reassuring about mystical ideas of life/afterlife when Scripture is clear that the dead 'sleep the sleep' of death (RIP) until the resurrection or awakening from death?

Jesus belief about the dead being in a sleep-like state is a definite distinction to mainstream religions of the world. Mainstream religions have turned the common grave of mankind (hell) into a hot place of no escape. While Jesus believed that while he was buried in hell he would have No conscious thought. In the end, emptied-out hell (gravedom) will die a symbolic death of no return.

(Matthew 23:38; John 11:11; Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalm 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Acts 2:27,31; Revelation 20:13,14; 22:2)