• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norway -one of the most anti semitic countries on earth

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
killing an animal should have an actual purpose.

Killing cows for human consumption doesnt.

THe only thing un fair I see with the law at all is that it allows the killing of animals for human gastronomical pleasure to being with.

There is no religious reason to kill the cow, you want the cow killed because of gastronomical pleasure.

God allowed eating cows, he didnt mandate it, and in the Talmud says that you must follow the laws of the land as long as they dont contradict the Talmud or make it impossible to follow it.

Well, this law does not at all make problems for you to be a faithful jew. It makes problems for you to kill animals for gastronomical pleasure in a way you deem religiously acceptable, but that is another thing.

You dont have any grounds in which to stand here. Jews are not prohibited by law to eat kosher, kosher stuff is imported freely and according to talmud law f the land is law of the land.

When they are forcing you to eat pork against your will, then cry anti semitism.

Exactly. I don't agree with killing cows being unfair (it's just a damn cow), but I'm 100% behind you on the rest.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
CMike wanted further attention to this thread, so I'm bumping it to further the discussions (since I do think this is not something that should be ignored or forgotten), and add a few new insights of my own.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
When in Persia, do as you will, just don't prevent others from doing as they will.

Perhaps these problems are still ripples of Rome's inflexible culture. I recently wondered: how easy is it to practice Norway's native religion in the kingdom? Does the Lawbreaker King's ghost still influence the country's politics? How well off are the Saami people?

Pointing fingers and calling names is not going to solve anything; it just gives the other side more reason to think of ye as an enemy. But I'm wholly on the side of pluralism, and on education; Norway is absolutely stellar in the latter, but in the former, I'm not so sure, since they're still technically a Christian state. That tells me that education there may be superb, but perhaps not in all subjects.

I don't think Norway can be called one of "the most antisemetic countries in the world" when there's still far more homogeneous countries out there where the bulk of a country's people would join in the government's discrimination against this or that cultural/religious group (such as many countries in East Asia; I wonder how Jewish communities fare in China or Japan?) Certainly it's not Nazi Germany, which is the face of antisemitism.

However, whenever there's discrimination of any group based on culture or religion, whether deliberate or accidental, we risk another Nazi Germany rising in the future. To prevent that, steps do need to be taken to help spread pluralistic values via education and possibly exchange programs.

So, what I'm saying, Mike, is that I only have a problem with name calling, which only serves to fuel the fires of war, rather than diffuse it. But in terms of recognizing that there's laws in Norway, and elsewhere in Europe, that make it difficult for certain groups of people to practice their traditions (not just Jews and Muslims), and that these problems need to be addressed, I'm on your side.

Me Myself

Back to my username
So you want a country to make an exception on the law because of religious reasons?

I dont think it's a good prescedent honestly.

I agree the law doesnt make sense, but it is obviously not antisemitic. Anyone trying to kill animals in a not approved way will be acting unlawfully.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In Europe how animals are slaughtered is covered by animal welfare laws.
It is not a health issue.
In most countries the rules accommodate conventional, Jewish and Muslim methods. However decapitation, or butchering while still conscious would not be legal. nor would slaughter within the sight of another animal.

Neither the Muslim nor the Jewish methods contravene any food or health laws.

Norway is not a member of the EU nor subject to its regulations

Last edited: