• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not only Natural Laws but Rules of Evolution?

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought of insects about 5 seconds after my post went through, given the post lag that was about 5 minutes after I hit the post reply button.
There is universal value in breaking pattern and diverting attention (or asserting attention). Stripes and spots are useful to many varying groups of animals and even among plants at getting this job accomplished.

That might an interesting review of the literature across the different animal groups comparing the application of stripes and other markings similar problems.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Your claim that birds are always birds, never evolving or never evolved.

The size difference is one fairly obvious reason, probably no need to go any further and look at things like the number of chromosomes.
My claim is that birds remain birds. That is my claim. I was thinking of chromosomes but really as you say there is no need for me at least to go into that. It would be basically futile as if to show that birds themselves evolved from dinosaurs, if I understand the theory correctly. So let me reiterate, since things can get lost in the translation, as they say. By the way, thank you for delineating what you think my claim is. So! I believe that birds remain birds. They are not evolving to something beyond being a bird. And -- that's where I stop. Birds remain birds, whether they can interbreed or not. I have read that 10% of the bird population can interbreed, 90% cannot. If I remember correctly. Nevertheless -- those beautiful birds from Australia you pointed out are truly beautiful, thank you for bringing that out. Just so I'm not misunderstood again -- my claim is that birds remain birds. I go no further than that now.
But! do you know why they all do not interbreed? although there is a saying that birds of a feather or something to do with the eyes can certainly have a factor.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I know what you mean. Those advertisements really draw the eye to the eyes. No pun intended. It seems the opposite of what you would expect given the value of refocusing predators away from the head.

When you first brought this up, it piqued my interest in any corollaries that might occur in insect species. There is a rich variety of patterning in insects that may result for similar reasons as those in vertebrates.

I was just editing photos and came across this Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, they have no coloured eye stripes but at various angles they seem to have one caused by the shaped of their head. This confuses me more.

DSC_6729 -1.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

The size difference is one fairly obvious reason, probably no need to go any further and look at things like the number of chromosomes.
Size, mating signals, color, calls, genotypes, range, seasonality, trophic level, climatic adaptation, etc., etc., etc. Golly gee, there sure are a lot of differences in things that are the same things always and forever and ever and never changing. You'd almost think that the environment was selecting for all that adaptive variation.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I was just editing photos and came across this Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, they have no coloured eye stripes but at various angles they seem to have one caused by the shaped of their head. This confuses me more.

View attachment 79668
So that apparent eye stripe in the photo is the result of contour shading and light and isn't really there as a pigmented stripe. Perhaps the oscillating appearance and disappearance resulting from head posture offers an advantage of a stripe without an actual stripe.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 79668
Structural color is fairly common in birds. This seems to be a variation of that theme to me.

The thought occurred to me that it might be a cheap way to have a stripe, but in such an extraordinarily colored bird, that doesn't seem like the cost of pigmenting feathers would be an issue.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
My claim is that birds remain birds. That is my claim. I was thinking of chromosomes but really as you say there is no need for me at least to go into that. It would be basically futile as if to show that birds themselves evolved from dinosaurs, if I understand the theory correctly. So let me reiterate, since things can get lost in the translation, as they say. By the way, thank you for delineating what you think my claim is. So! I believe that birds remain birds. They are not evolving to something beyond being a bird. And -- that's where I stop. Birds remain birds, whether they can interbreed or not. I have read that 10% of the bird population can interbreed, 90% cannot. If I remember correctly. Nevertheless -- those beautiful birds from Australia you pointed out are truly beautiful, thank you for bringing that out. Just so I'm not misunderstood again -- my claim is that birds remain birds. I go no further than that now.
But! do you know why they all do not interbreed? although there is a saying that birds of a feather or something to do with the eyes can certainly have a factor.

I officially give up trying to understand your claim and will ignore it as nonsense from now on.

I doubt your 10% figure, seems way to high but I have no idea and as far as I recall have not ever seen any research into it.

As to why they don't.... size differences, would be a waste of time as the offspring would be infertile even if they managed to successfully breed, tribalism... most animals including us humans prefer our own kind.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Structural color is fairly common in birds. This seems to be a variation of that theme to me.

The thought occurred to me that it might be a cheap way to have a stripe, but in such an extraordinarily colored bird, that doesn't seem like the cost of pigmenting feathers would be an issue.

I'm looking at other Lorikeet species and the head shape is a common theme and they also seem to have a bare patch near the eye that acts as an eye stripe.

YoursTrue

I officially give up trying to understand your claim and will ignore it as nonsense from now on.

I doubt your 10% figure, seems way to high but I have no idea and as far as I recall have not ever seen any research into it.
OK, I understand. Although I don't see why you consider the claim as nonsense, i.e., that birds remain birds. But right now that is what I have found to be expected from certain ones. On the subject that a small percentage of birds now known can interbreed, let me substantiate that for you: "
Many birds occasionally mate with members of other bird species, producing hybrid offspring,” said Irby J. Lovette, director of the Fuller Evolutionary Biology Program at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
In fact, Dr. Lovette said, about 10 percent of the world’s 10,000 bird species are known to have bred with another species at least once, either in the wild or in captivity."
Hope that helps.

YoursTrue

It's not of any interest to me so I see no reason as it's not harming me or anyone else that I know of.
It would be important in being consistent in one's thinking and being able to explain it without rancor. Rationally.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
OK, I understand. Although I don't see why you consider the claim as nonsense, i.e., that birds remain birds. But right now that is what I have found to be expected from certain ones. On the subject that a small percentage of birds now known can interbreed, let me substantiate that for you: "
Many birds occasionally mate with members of other bird species, producing hybrid offspring,” said Irby J. Lovette, director of the Fuller Evolutionary Biology Program at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
In fact, Dr. Lovette said, about 10 percent of the world’s 10,000 bird species are known to have bred with another species at least once, either in the wild or in captivity."
Hope that helps.

I consider it nonsense because if it were factual there would only be one type of bird. And bird evolution has been shown to be correct by Darwin's work with the Galapagos Finches and how they have evolved to succeed on the differing islands. Australian Honeyeaters are another example, a large family of birds that differ greatly yet are closely related.

I'll have to read the article after I cook and eat dinner, the Mrs is playing computer games with her friends tonight so I need to be on time.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It would be important in being consistent in one's thinking and being able to explain it without rancor. Rationally.

I know a lot of people who believe in a God or Gods and accept evolution, I don't consider any of them more or less bitter than any other group of people. I consider them honest in acknowledging the vast amount of evidence in favour of ToE. Perhaps they don't want to see a lying God who planted all this evidence to confuse humans but that's just conjecture on my behalf.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Hope that helps.

Pay wall, I can't read it.

YoursTrue

I know a lot of people who believe in a God or Gods and accept evolution, I don't consider any of them more or less bitter than any other group of people. I consider them honest in acknowledging the vast amount of evidence in favour of ToE. Perhaps they don't want to see a lying God who planted all this evidence to confuse humans but that's just conjecture on my behalf.
This has nothing to do with being bitter as far as I am concerned. But from my experience here so far many people are simply absolutely more than reluctant to explain how they relegate belief in God (claiming they belong to a religion linked to the Bible) and also believing in the theory of evolution. What I have found is that they call the Bible a book of myths yet go to church and claim to believe in God and get upset when asked to explain how that works.

exchemist

Veteran Member

That would be one reason, but it seems there may be an even more basic reason: incompatibility of the respective strands of “junk” DNA: Biologists Just Got Closer to The DNA Secrets That Stop Species From Interbreeding

The topic is evidently an area of active research.

YoursTrue

Pay wall, I can't read it.
OK, I didn't realize that.

NY Times article
By C. Claiborne Ray
April 22, 2013
  • Q. Does bird mating ever cross the species line?
A. “Many birds occasionally mate with members of other bird species, producing hybrid offspring,” said Irby J. Lovette, director of the Fuller Evolutionary Biology Program at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
In fact, Dr. Lovette said, about 10 percent of the world’s 10,000 bird species are known to have bred with another species at least once, either in the wild or in captivity.

This might work, not sure:

In fact, Dr. Lovette said, about 10 percent of the world’s 10,000 bird species are known to have bred with another species at least once, either in the wild or in captivity. For example, in the eastern United States, native black ducks have hybridized so often with the more abundant mallard ducks that pure black ducks have become rare.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/science/does-bird-mating-ever-cross-the-species-line.html
The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/science/does-bird-mating-ever-cross-the-…

Does Bird Mating Ever Cross the Species Line? - The New York Times

exchemist

Veteran Member
Indeed. YT has had this explained before but trollishly pretends that is not the case, in order to get people to jump through yet more hoops restating it. Well ballocks to that.

It is in fact a totally mainstream position within Christianity. There is an article reviewing it here: Theistic Evolution: History and Beliefs - Article - BioLogos. There are many, many explanations available on the internet, to anyone with genuine curiosity about what other Christians think. So there is no excuse for YT to demand that people here re-explain it endlessly.

YT’s object in this exercise is dishonest and purely rhetorical: to be tiresome enough that people stop responding, which can then be falsely attributed to inability to explain, or discomfort with the explanation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That would be one reason, but it seems there may be an even more basic reason: incompatibility of the respective strands of “junk” DNA: Biologists Just Got Closer to The DNA Secrets That Stop Species From Interbreeding

The topic is evidently an area of active research.
Very interesting. The fact that noncoding DNA changes much more quickly than coding DNA explains how new species can form, even while they are very similar in their coding DNA. Mutations in noncoding DNA are almost always benign. Those parts of genomes are not highly preserved by natural selection.

Creationists should ask themselves why almost every scientific discovery in biology helps to explain evolution more. If it was false at least some discoveries should show that.

YoursTrue

Indeed. YT has had this explained before but trollishly pretends that is not the case, in order to get people to jump through yet more hoops restating it. Well ballocks to that.

It is in fact a totally mainstream position within Christianity. There is an article reviewing it here: Theistic Evolution: History and Beliefs - Article - BioLogos. There are many, many explanations available on the internet, to anyone with genuine curiosity about what other Christians think. So there is no excuse for YT to demand that people here re-explain it endlessly.

YT’s object in this exercise is dishonest and purely rhetorical: to be tiresome enough that people stop responding, which can then be falsely attributed to inability to explain, or discomfort with the explanation.
Not true. I have not been dishonest about this. You may think so, but that is your right to believe what you want. If I saw an explanation that shows evolution is absolutely true without doubt in conjunction as well with what their religious belief claims linkage between the Bible and evolution, I'd believe it. But there is no absolute verification of differences among plant and animal life having evolved. And that's where I leave it now.

YoursTrue

Furthermore, I don't know if you're an atheist, but doesn't really matter. Because I wonder also as to how some people believe they can talk to dead persons and how they figure God or nature fits in with any of this, if you do.