• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not only Natural Laws but Rules of Evolution?

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
The whole idea of birds not evolving makes no sense to me, even some closely related species like corellas and galahs that sometimes do cross breed in the wild have sterile offspring so there's an obvious genetic difference. Yet according to the much repeated creationist theory, birds are still birds and are not evolving or have ever evolved. It's a huge group of animals that are all exactly the same and we are expected to believe it without question.
I find it perplexing that creationists conceive that everything was created as it exists and then have no explanation for all the evidence that shows that living things have not always existed as exact duplicates of those extant examples we see today. I note that others have put this better elsewhere, but by demanding that people and God follow a literal interpretation of the Bible as God's dictated words they are, at the same time, seemingly denying what many see as God's creation. The only explanation to reconcile this demand with what is actually observed seems to me to come to a view that God seeded misleading information for us to find and draw the wrong conclusions about. That makes no sense to me and doesn't describe God as I believe in Him either.

There are so many things wrong with the arguments used to deny science, that we could write a book on the logical fallacies and erroneous information used and how it is employed.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know why I was, maybe because birds interest me, maybe because I forgot a sensible discussion is out of the question, maybe I thought I'd give it one more go. I thought my question was a fair one if I'm expected to believe birds are still birds and have never nor will ever evolve.
I think it was a good question. I thought it should be taken seriously and that was the motivation for my more serious response once I got that cobra bear silliness out of my system.

Incidentally, it has been more than 35 years since I took ornithology and given what you have presented on the subject of birds, I expect that you are a more authoritative source on the subject than I am. Certainly on the Australian fauna.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I think it was a good question. I thought it should be taken seriously and that was the motivation for my more serious response once I got that cobra bear silliness out of my system.

Incidentally, it has been more than 35 years since I took ornithology and given what you have presented on the subject of birds, I expect that you are a more authoritative source on the subject than I am. Certainly on the Australian fauna.

I've been trying to learn more the last couple of years but it seems everything I learn leads to a dozen more questions. I tried to find out the purpose of eye stripes in birds a couple of months ago and could find little information and what I did find makes little sense to me. I wrote a short informal article on my search for the bird club magazine. I'll message you a link. Warning!!! It's unscientific and poorly written.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know why I was, maybe because birds interest me, maybe because I forgot a sensible discussion is out of the question, maybe I thought I'd give it one more go. I thought my question was a fair one if I'm expected to believe birds are still birds and have never nor will ever evolve.
When you see cyclical patterns develop that have nothing to do with serious scholarship, any interest in learning and metaphorically spit in the face of good faith responses, you sort of lose interest in continuing engagement.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I've been trying to learn more the last couple of years but it seems everything I learn leads to a dozen more questions. I tried to find out the purpose of eye stripes in birds a couple of months ago and could find little information and what I did find makes little sense to me. I wrote a short informal article on my search for the bird club magazine. I'll message you a link. Warning!!! It's unscientific and poorly written.
I don't think it would surprise you that many of my sources for insects from my state are from articles written for the publications of local science and nature organizations. Those enthusiasts have been diligent boots on the ground for a long time and the modern equivalents continue the tradition of amateur naturalists that formed the basis of the science we have today. I'm a big fan.

There is a lot of useful information that comes from some of those publications. I'd love to read your work.

It is like that for me as well. I think it is a common part of science and a valuable part when kept in perspective that the more we learn, the more questions we have. Unfortunately, there are always going to be questions you cannot pursue.

I find that to be one of the barriers that limit discussions with creationists. They don't seem to believe they have any questions and already have all the answers anyway.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I find that to be one of the barriers that limit discussions with creationists. They don't seem to believe they have any questions and already have all the answers anyway.

That's exactly what pushed me away from Christianity as a youngster, I learnt the hard way that questions were forbidden and I've never been one to believe without question.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
That's exactly what pushed me away from Christianity as a youngster, I learnt the hard way that questions were forbidden and I've never been one to believe without question.
I was one of those kids that asked frustrating questions in church too. And almost never got satisfactory answers for them as I recall. I generally stopped asking there and sought answers of my own or found those more open to such questions. Plus, I find that some that claim to have the answers are just telling me what they believe and not really answering the questions.

Some churches are more open to those questions than others. In some groups, I understand you can get booted out or shunned for having doubts or questions. It is odd to me that a group that emphasizes free will of man would penalize someone for that free will. Seems to me, it is those with questions and doubts that should be addressed and not beaten down.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm , last I checked neither one could fly. Are you guys sure that they are even birds? They may be mammals in disguise.
I feel pretty confident about the classification of the emu, but you may be onto something regarding the penguin. Personally, they seem more fishlike to me. Could be fish.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I feel pretty confident about the classification of the emu, but you may be onto something regarding the penguin. Personally, they seem more fishlike to me. Could be fish.
Could be. I hear that they do taste rather fishy.

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Hmm , last I checked neither one could fly. Are you guys sure that they are even birds? They may be mammals in disguise.

I do know Emus are evil, I had one stick its head through the car window and peck at a button on my shirt, nearly drove my sternum into the back seat.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Could be. I hear that they do taste rather fishy.

It was not a thought that ever occurred to me, but it is good to know they taste terrible. I'm not sure that I could hunt a bunch of birds dressed in tuxedos anyway. It is just as well, since laws prevent it.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I do know Emus are evil, I had one stick its head through the car window and peck at a button on my shirt, nearly drove my sternum into the back seat.
So, I can scratch "have an emu dress me" off my bucket list.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Looks like past my bedtime. Is sleep a vertebrate thing or is all Animalia? Or variable?

I'll see if I can dream up an answer.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Platypuses according to the Britannica Dictionary. I'm guessing because it's more fun to say than Platypi or Platypode.
I should be in bed, but this was worth staying up for the info and the laugh.

I have the same problem with the plural of Elvis. Since there are so many impersonators, I have wondered on the plural. Is it Elvises or Elvi?

exchemist

Veteran Member
The theory doesn't state that. It is not a theory making claims about death. That you insist on making this straw man as a centerpiece of your denial is a discussion I have no interest in perpetuating as it has no logical end. I answer in good faith, but I do not feel that is reciprocated.
Too effing true, Squire!;)