• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nullify the vegetarian moral crusade?

What are you?

• Total voters

Booko

Deviled Hen
If you really do want to cut back, what I would suggest is eat less of it. Don't avoid it and feel like you've been deprived, just eat less than you normally would and eat more veggies.

Exactly, the usual nutritional requirements for protein at a meal is 3 ounces -- about the size of a deck of cards. That is not a lot of meat. Try to find a 3 ounce steak somewhere. :rolleyes:

And the protein doesn't always have to be meat either. Beans and other legumes, eggplants, mushrooms, all these have protein in them and are great alternatives to just meat all the time.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Yes, the fat to protein ratio is much too high. Have you considered adults?

Recently, I have tried Italian. I'll be going to a Chinese restaurant sometime and give that a try. I've found English to be great with coffee!

American has too much gristle for my taste!

(I hope no one's offended! If so, I'll have this deleted and apologize forthwith.)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Recently, I have tried Italian. I'll be going to a Chinese restaurant sometime and give that a try. I've found English to be great with coffee!

Not tea?

Too much saturated fat as well. :no:

(I hope no one's offended! If so, I'll have this deleted and apologize forthwith.)

Well, sometimes you know, you simply have to bow to the absurd. :)

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Exactly, the usual nutritional requirements for protein at a meal is 3 ounces -- about the size of a deck of cards. That is not a lot of meat. Try to find a 3 ounce steak somewhere. :rolleyes:

And the protein doesn't always have to be meat either. Beans and other legumes, eggplants, mushrooms, all these have protein in them and are great alternatives to just meat all the time.

This sounds like something I would say. :D

Hema

Sweet n Spicy

Have you tried Indian? :eek:

Booko

Deviled Hen
This sounds like something I would say. :D

Well, I am currently working on nutrition as part of my naturopathy coursework. ;)

My husband is in for a shock as I try to find some good recipes for eggplant. I love eggplant.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
My husband is in for a shock as I try to find some good recipes for eggplant. I love eggplant.

It's the opposite with us...he loves it and I hate it...he thinks I'm weird. :D

We make an Indian/Trinidadian dish called bhaigan choka. He roasts the eggplant over an open flame on the stove top. When soft, peel off the skin and discard, mash the eggplant, mix with salt and pepper and set aside. Then I saute garlic and onions and add to the eggplant and mix it well. We eat it (or mostly he eats it) with dal (made from split peas) and rice.

Once in a purple moon I will eat it with dal and rice so the taste of the dal and rice can cover it. However, people also eat it with roti (Indian bread).

What I love is tomato choka! :drool: It's made the same way, just with tomatoes. :p He loves tomatoes too...as long as we have tomateos in the fridge we can survive.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
I kind of wish I could stop eating so much meat. My dad had colon cancer and had to use a colostomy bag for quite some time. I just haven't found any satisfaction in eating veggies. I need something I can sink my teeth into. Are there any manly vegetarian dishes? Something that will put hair on my chest and give me the feeling like I just ate a big juicy steak?

That would be my problem too, I stopped being a veggie a few months ago now because, well because there are no satisfying alternatives, well that and my ex fiance moved out and i didn't need to please her anymore lol.
I do get and appreciate why some people are veggie but until theres a veggie replacement for steak that tastes as good then the cows are mine, mine I tell you!!!

Booko

Deviled Hen
I do get and appreciate why some people are veggie but until theres a veggie replacement for steak that tastes as good then the cows are mine, mine I tell you!!!

Well, odds are if you grew up not eating meat you might think cow was pretty yucky.

Portobello mushrooms are a pretty good alternative. I'm just bummed I can't put Worchestershire sauce on them any more. :sad:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I've been a meat eater all my life and I've been pondering conversion. :D

No really, I'm mostly considering for health reasons.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Right now, I only eat some chicken and mostly seafood. I was a vegetarian for seven years and if not for health reasons, I would return to being a vegetarian again.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Hey, Emu is the other other white meat. :D

Oh my, I hope Mr. Emu doesn't see this.

We''ll end up having a cat fight over in the mod area.

And as the *real* white meat around here, I may have to take sudden vacation before that all goes down! :eek:

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Oh my, I hope Mr. Emu doesn't see this.

We''ll end up having a cat fight over in the mod area.

And as the *real* white meat around here, I may have to take sudden vacation before that all goes down! :eek:

Oh, nono. Emu is a cat :D

Confused yet? lol

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I believe this should now become a vegetarian recipe thread!

My favourite is a gnocchi with a vegan almond mint creme sauce- and it does make an excellent creme sauce without milk products! Just make the gnocchi as it's normally made (I do have a good recipe for gnocchi if you can weedle it out of me ;) ) or buy it premade and just heat it up as directed. To make the creme sauce heat up equal parts almond milk and olive oil (though you might need to experiment to get a sauce you like, I prefer a little less oil to almond milk) and then add crushed almonds, some freshly chopped mint and basil, sun-dried tomatoes, really whatever else you want to. I like to add freshly chopped lemony herbs. Then combine the creme sauce and gnocchi, and serve. It's nom-lisicious and cooks up in less than 15 minutes. Sorry it's not very... exact, but I hardly ever follow a recipe exactly when I cook and my creations always end up edible. :D

They aren't vegan, but ovo-vegetarian, but I also make what I call currydoodle cookies- a reason I shouldn't cook when bored. :cover: At my dorm/house at college we had to cook a meal once a week and I had to make snickerdoodles for the dessert. I mostly followed the snickerdoodle recipe but I used a modification of my personal garam masala spice mix and used the sweeter spices that are in it like cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, a little ginger instead of just the cinnamon and sugar you use for snickerdoodles.
And I just used a little bit of vanilla soymilk and couple of egg whites from my free-range and certifiably organically fed chickens I had brought to school with me- they make a huge difference, they really do taste better when they come from happy and well-treated chickens.
Everyone in the house was a little unsure of them when I told them how I had made them but they were a HUGE hit that everyone loved. They loved my other "curry" dishes anyway! Haha.

I'm a huge fan of fusion dishes. I have a vast heritage (Punjabi, Slavic, Celtic, and Germanic) and a vast adopted heritage through friends/adoptive family I spend a lot of time with and places I lived (Brazil, various other Hispanic cuisines, lots of other Asian dishes) I LOVE to mix it up.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Maybe we should start a thread in Food. Hey, do you make your own almond milk by any chance?

I'm a huge fan of fusion dishes. I have a vast heritage (Punjabi, Slavic, Celtic, and Germanic) and a vast adopted heritage through friends/adoptive family I spend a lot of time with and places I lived (Brazil, various other Hispanic cuisines, lots of other Asian dishes) I LOVE to mix it up.

I do a lot of fusion cooking myself. I wasn't as fond of the fesenjam (Pomegranate-Walnut Chicken) recipes from Persian sources, so I applied French methods to the recipe and I prefer those results. Given the reaction at potlucks, the Persians seem to approve. They always assume a Persian made the fesenjam.

Cooking is like Picasso. First you learn to paint representationally, and then you earn the right to put the noses on sideways. Likewise, I learn the dish the traditional way, and then I've earned the right to tweak it. :)