• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nullify the vegetarian moral crusade?

What are you?

• Total voters

Booko

Deviled Hen
There is absolutely no need for meat to the body...

*sigh* Oh, please don't start this conversation again. You can speak to my vegetarian doctor about her orders that I eat meat.

Now, if you happen to have any good recipes for eggplant, I am all ears! :D

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice

Human bodies need protein, and before certain marvels of agriculture and science, meat was (and really still is) the highest source of protein. Today we can replace meat with beans and nuts, but these things weren't as available as they are now thousands of years ago. Without meat, the human race probably wouldn't have survived.

So, while humans today don't need to eat meat, alternative sources of protein are a fairly modern discovery, and one that would never have been made had we not ate meat first.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
That really does depend. Someone's who life style consist of low exercising and low activity level can get by easily without any meat.
Someone like me though, who lives in the gym and builds muscle, meat is essential since I can't afford too many protein supplements.
And whether you are a body builder or not, the muscles need protein. Various meats are a very good source of protein.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I love meat. Any kind. If it moves, I have probably eaten it. But some things I will not touch with a 20 foot barge pole. Like eating snake poison sacs or eating a still beating heart.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i voted "i eat meat when i can" because i eat meat when i'm at home because i'm not paying the food bill, and i eat what ever meat i can afford when i am at uni.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I eat meat and all was will, though I also eat Veges and fruits. I'm a Omnivore, because that what a human is, I don't understand how being a Vegetarian is more healthy for you when the body need some stuff that one meat give you, and I'm not one to take Multivitamins to get everything I need.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I eat meat and all was will, though I also eat Veges and fruits. I'm a Omnivore, because that what a human is, I don't understand how being a Vegetarian is more healthy for you when the body need some stuff that one meat give you, and I'm not one to take Multivitamins to get everything I need.
I don't know that "being vegetarian" is more healthy. A diet of cookies and soda is "vegetarian." But it is the case that meat is high in cholesterol and other fats, and that it has no fiber, so eating too much of it, as Americans tend to do, is unhealthy. As with most things, balance and moderation is the the most surefire way towards health.

That said, it is perfectly possible for most people to abstain from meat and get all the vitamins and proteins that one needs. Most people do not "need" meat. And (to address another post) that includes people who do a lot of physical activity.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
i voted "i eat meat when i can" because i eat meat when i'm at home because i'm not paying the food bill, and i eat what ever meat i can afford when i am at uni.
In the U.S. meat is not more expensive than veggies. (It used to be decades ago, but not any more.) Must be because of all those factory farms. :(

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
The only thing not readily available in plants is B12, which can be obtained without a supplement. :rolleyes: I've been given a clean bill of health by my doctor and I take no supplements. Instead I do this crazy thing called "eating a balanced diet".

Being vegetarian is usually healthier simply because red meat just isn't good for you in the quantity Americans eat it in. The cholesterol, fat, etc, is just super high in meat. Things like chicken and fish are way better for you if you do eat meat.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
The only thing not readily available in plants is B12, which can be obtained without a supplement. :rolleyes: I've been given a clean bill of health by my doctor and I take no supplements. Instead I do this crazy thing called "eating a balanced diet".

Being vegetarian is usually healthier simply because red meat just isn't good for you in the quantity Americans eat it in. The cholesterol, fat, etc, is just super high in meat. Things like chicken and fish are way better for you if you do eat meat.

Exactly. And, even protein is easily available in non-meat sources.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy

All true. Plus, for those who drink milk, B12 is available in milk. Or for those who eat eggs, it is available in eggs also. The requirements for B12 are very low anyway. Plus, I think I read that new research shows that it is available in bananas.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
In the U.S. meat is not more expensive than veggies. (It used to be decades ago, but not any more.) Must be because of all those factory farms. :(

i can't remember the exact prices off hand.... i shop at Sainbury's because there is a free bus there and it's the biggest shop in Lancaster. there veggies are all things like £1.00 for packs of carrots or leaks etc, and there cheapest meats start at about £3.00 per pack of pork chops or chicken breast etc.

big difference when on a budget :)

storm2020

Though I must again reassert my stance that if you eat three animals for every animal I don't eat, you're going to be getting lots of heart disease and colon cancer really fast. ;)

Yes I will eat 3 animals for every animal that you dont. Only, if the animals that i am eating are oily fish, i will be extremely healthy and actually protecting myself against heart disease. Japanese eat fish for breakfast lunch and dinner and have the longest life spans.

mmmm...meat!:drool:

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Yes I will eat 3 animals for every animal that you dont. Only, if the animals that i am eating are oily fish, i will be extremely healthy and actually protecting myself against heart disease. Japanese eat fish for breakfast lunch and dinner and have the longest life spans.

Fish is one of the healthier meats..if not the healthiest meat to eat...for those who eat meat. However, fruits and veggies protect the heart also. :) The Japanese also eat a lot of tofu and veggies which are not overcooked so they maintain most of their nutrients.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I have no qualms about eating meat. Animals need to kill in order to survive themselves, carnivores kill animals, herbivores kill plants, omnivores kill everything :D.

As a human, my digestive tract evolved to digest vegetation, fruit and some meat. An utterly vegetarian diet needs to be carefully controlled, and to be really healthy requires the access to a range of foods we enjoy in the West. Our gut is too short for us to survive entirely on vegetation (leaves), as it was sacrificed to allow our brains to develop, so if we don't have access to a plentiful supply of nuts and fungi (or fake Quarn-type stuff) for protein, meat is a necessity to survive.

Personally, i don't like the taste or texture of red meat. However, if it is placed in front of me at a friends house, or a conference dinner etc, i will eat it as i find it more ethically abhorrent to throw meat away than to kill the animal in the first place with the intention of eating it.
I eat fish, free-range poultry (and if the shops have it then free-range + organic, as they get even more room to run about pecking each others eyes and "sensitive areas" to shreds - you'd be surprised how cruel farm animals can be to one another, even free-range ones), plus fruit and vegetables.

In the ideal world i'd have a Jain diet, as that hurts no life form at all. Most vegetarian/vegans are quite happy to end the life of a plant for their own personal satisfaction, Jains don't even do that. However, i'm too lazy and too poor to survive on a Jain diet.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie

Just make sure you know the mercury content of what you're eating...

Smoke

Done here.
Though I must again reassert my stance that if you eat three animals for every animal I don't eat, you're going to be getting lots of heart disease and colon cancer really fast. ;)
How many animals are there in the world? Isn't it safe to assume you're not eating any of them? So Mad Hatter has to eat ... um ...

That's going to get complicated.

Eventually, I might swear off mammals completely, maybe even birds. But I imagine I'll always eat seafood.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Eventually, I might swear off mammals completely, maybe even birds. But I imagine I'll always eat seafood.
If I was to go back to eating meat I'd probably just eat chicken. Even things like shrimp that don't have a crazy mercury content are farmed in terribly destructive ways. And even with chicken many brands have arsenic in their chicken... :cover: