• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oath on the Bible by a Muslim?

Colling said Ellison's office has received hundreds of "very bigoted and racist" e-mails and phone calls since Prager's column appeared. "The vast majority said, 'You should resign from office if you're not willing to use the book our country was founded on,' " Colling said.

That's right, this country was founded on genocide and slavery, both of which are definitely biblical values.

Scott1

The Truth said:
I wonder if you can make oath on the Quran in front of all your fellow christians !
Or even (***GASP***) kiss the Holy Book!

055_popekissesKoran.jpg

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Scott1 said:
Or even (***GASP***) kiss the Holy Book!

055_popekissesKoran.jpg

Wow, that was an interesting picture. You reminded me about the former Pope when he kissed the ground when he reached to Palestine i guess, if i'm not mistaken.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Ryan said:
You have to know about the bible... This is completely different than believing in the bible. I know about Star Wars... I don't believe in the force, however. Making an oath on a book implies you hold that book dear to your heart and you believe in what the book says... Otherwise an oath on that book is pretty meaningless and stupid.
You can know about Star Wars, not believe in the force and still find much meaning from the movie, can you not?
Ryan said:
If a non-Christian does an oath on a Christian book it can be seen as mis-leading in somes eyes... I could see why they would ask for their own holy book to swear an oath over rather than the Christian holy book.
I don’t see why.
Ryan said:
I believe the Muslim did ask for a copy of the Koran to swear an oath on... I actually think this is better of him. He respects the oath he makes enough to make it on a book that he holds dear to his heart rather than just go through the motions. Too many people in office swear an oath on a book they do not believe in and this signifies to me that they do not believe in the oath they took.
The oath is to the One True God in which I thought we shared in. Nothing more, nothing less. If you don’t believe in God then your loyalty lies in whatever binds you. The purpose of the oath is to bind.

Ryan2065

Victor said:
The oath is to the One True God in which I thought we shared in. Nothing more, nothing less. If you don’t believe in God then your loyalty lies in whatever binds you. The purpose of the oath is to bind.
So if the oath is to the one true god why is it so bad to request the book that best describes how you worship that one true god to give your oath on?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Ryan2065 said:
So if the oath is to the one true god why is it so bad to request the book that best describes how you worship that one true god to give your oath on?

I have no oppostion to that, I'm just trying to understand why such opposition was taken by the politician.