• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

old testament was detorted

hanif

in the torah said
god wrestles with jacob.god walking in the garden.
how can be this true.
so torah has been detorted.
complete form is koran.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
hanif said:
because god cant wrestle with human.so this book was changed god sent us a new book koran
I don't know about that. I've had plenty of intense arm-wrestling competitions. :D

Do you have a verse from the Torah? And how do you know God can't wrestle with man? Maybe he gets bored watching us sin each other to the grave. ;)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
What I don't understand is why someone would try to debunk one holy book and then promote another holy book in the same sentance. It doesn't give me much insentive to read the one that was promoted if the follower presents it in such a manner.

Just my thoughts.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Why does the Quran, which you say is complete, need supporting documentation (e.g. the tafsir and hadiths)? I've been told multiple times on these forums that these are needed to understand the Quran 'correctly.' Seems to me that a book that is 'complete' should be complete in itself and not need other books to explain what it says.

Bishka

Veteran Member
hanif said:
in the torah said
how can be this true.
complete form is koran.

Just because you say so? Wish everything was that simple.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
hanif said:
in the torah said
how can be this true.
complete form is koran.

The koran is just as bad as the torah and new Bible. All of these scriptures are antiquated. You can't have an active relationship with these old dead gods (maybe they aren't dead, but I haven't experienced them). I think there is one personal god that has used all these old religions and their gods in order to be realized by mankind. Maybe the jews, christians, and muslims have all been tools used by the personal god to make its way into the lives of man? Maybe god doesn't care about religion, but uses them for its own purposes. Who knows, maybe the Mormons are the next religious evolution: Jews -> Christians -> Muslims/Catholics/Protestants -> Mormons... what religion will this god use next? Who knows? :)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I've always seen passages like this as symbolic. The Bible--along with other religious texts--is highly poetic. In fact, to truly believe it to be the Word of God, I think it would have to be poetic.

Perhaps "walking in the garden" was a personification of the diversity of life in the garden, or the sensation of having a divine experience in the garden.

I think any religious text needs to be interpreted personally with just a little guidance for good social measure!

kai

ragamuffin
Guitar's Cry said:
I've always seen passages like this as symbolic. The Bible--along with other religious texts--is highly poetic. In fact, to truly believe it to be the Word of God, I think it would have to be poetic.

Perhaps "walking in the garden" was a personification of the diversity of life in the garden, or the sensation of having a divine experience in the garden.

I think any religious text needs to be interpreted personally with just a little guidance for good social measure!
how do you know god didnt come down and walk in the garden to experience the act of walking in a garden afterall its his garden and why not wrestle adam while hes there?

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
kai said:
how do you know god didnt come down and walk in the garden to experience the act of walking in a garden afterall its his garden and why not wrestle adam while hes there?

Really either G_d is omnipotent and sovereign meaning he can do all things,
or he's not. Seems he could by definition do anything at all.

seriously I don't get it either.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
hanif said:
in the torah said
how can be this true.
complete form is koran.
So; because aspects of the Torah appear to contradict your concept of God, this automatically proves that it is the Torah that is distorted?

*smiles*

Moon Woman said:
seriously I don't get it either.
We have to remember that the authors of Genesis would have had a very different image of God then, say, the classical theistic model which is generally accepted today. As such, problems tend to arise if one ignores the cultural, social, historical and religious contexts in which the text was written, and tries to hammer everything into a single uniform interpretation of God.

For example, the God of Moses as recorded in the scriptures seems to bear little resemblance to, say, the God of Isaiah or Amos.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
hanif said:
in the torah said
how can be this true.
complete form is koran.
That is not what the Torah says: your understanding is distorted. I'm not surprised.

Random

hanif said:
in the torah said
how can be this true.
complete form is koran.

Who do you think distorted the Torah, and why?

gnostic

The Lost One
The Qur'an version of the Creation is just as silly as that found in the Torah or Bible. Thing about angels, demons and djinn are as supernatural and unnatural as they come in the Qur'an as it is elsewhere.

There is no denying that the Bible were written by men as testimony as their relationship with their religion and their God, but that of the Qur'an was written entirely by God/Allah, seemed questionable and not something that I would believe unless there are proof.

Sorry, hanif. Just because Muslims or your prophet say the Tanakh or Old Testament to be distorted, doesn't necessarily be so, because you are trying to promote your own religion at the expense of the other religions, hence it's Muslim propaganda.

The Christians does something of the same thing, in the past and in the present, so there are some similarity between Islam and Christianity.

Popeyesays

hanif said:
because god cant wrestle with human.so this book was changed god sent us a new book koran

However, it makes a good metaphor "submitting to God's Will" doesn't it. Literal truth? Obviously not. Metaphoric truth, obviously yes.:yes:

Regards,
Scott