• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God or many gods

Bear Wild

The vedas say that the material universe and brahman are both son and father of each other. This matches with panpsychism that matter has consciousness. Maybe this consciousness joined and that is what we call God.
god father and son only? No goddess? No mention of the feminine? I am only beginning to learn about the Hindu religion but from what I have learned it is not this male imbalanced. Are you saying that the god in Hinduism is greater than and more important than the goddess? Is the father greater than the mother?

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
god father and son only? No goddess? No mention of the feminine? I am only beginning to learn about the Hindu religion but from what I have learned it is not this male imbalanced. Are you saying that the god in Hinduism is greater than and more important than the goddess? Is the father greater than the mother?
Besides the point.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
For me Brahman is not a deity, it is the stuff of the universe. physical energy, requires no submission, no worship.
:)

I remember a conversation I had with my old "Religion in Literature" professor.

He told me the story of a Jewish student who said he didn't believe in God. The professor convinced him that given the importance of the issue, that perhaps he needed to put in an effort to find God that was on par with that importance. So the Jewish student left with the intent to find out if God existed or not. He returned several times to visit the professor, telling him of the different religions he had investigated, but still found no evidence of God. He finally ended up in Buddhism, and after many years of meditating, he reported back to the Professor that he had discovered something awesome, the source of everything, that which underlied all the universe. The Professor said, ahhhh you found God! To which the student replied, Oh no. There is no God.

My professor and I looked at each other and laughed.

You see, the man had in fact found God. His problem was that he had such a narrow idea of what God was, that he simply didn't recognize God when he found God.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You see, the man had in fact found God. His problem was that he had such a narrow idea of what God was, that he simply didn't recognize God when he found God.
:) What is your idea of a God, God of the tribe of Israel who asked every one of Canaanites to be killed, men, women and children?
"Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; .." Exodus#20:1.5, Deuteronomy#5:4.9

IndigoChild5559

:) What is your idea of a God, God of the tribe of Israel who asked every one of Canaanites to be killed, men, women and children?
"Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; .." Exodus#20:1.5, Deuteronomy#5:4.9
I try not to define God. For me, he is the Creator, but if you wish to call him the Source, that is fine as well. I suspect that the more words we use to define God, the farther away from the truth we move. As my Chinese friends would say, the Tao that can be expressed is not the eternal Tao.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
For me Brahman is not a deity, it is the stuff of the universe. physical energy, requires no submission, no worship.

That does seem to be the consensus amongst many Hindus. But as I stated his entire argument is to reduce everyone's views to his.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
IndigoChild5559 said: "I try not to define God. For me, he is the Creator, but if you wish to call him the Source, that is fine as well."

In making him the creator or the source, you are defining God. :)

IndigoChild5559

In making him the creator or the source, you are defining God. :)
Yes, and that's a flaw. The finite cannot fathom the infinite. But, being a finite human being, I am necessarily limited by words. Thus, despite my ideal of not defining God, I still succumb. I said I try not to define God. I didn't say I succeed. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thus, despite my ideal of not defining God, I still succumb. I said I try not to define God. I didn't say I succeed. :)
Many Hindus will say that the universe was created by God Brahma (one of the Hindu trinity) or that the work was delegated to Vishwakarma (the God of Artisans, lit. the maker of the universe). Vishwakarma day is a national holiday in India. See, the hammer and the chisel in his hands.

Vishwakarma, Brahma
1663298400437_post_image_1.jpg
lord_brahma.jpg

River Sea

Kindly respond to this video.

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala

Due to the fact that I had addressed in detail your video in 'one area' in another thread, now I'll see how I'll move this discussion here in this thread and continue with discussion.

I thought Israel meant wrestling with God or God's angel, but from @Bharat Jhunjhunwala video, you showed Israel.

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala you were showing from Stephen Knapp
By Stephen Knapp said: Israel derived from Sanskrit word Ishwaralaya, which means Isha or Krishna God

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala you explain that Stephen Knapp claims that Israel is derived from the Sanskrit word Ishwaralaya, which means Isha or Krishna God. I never heard of Ishwaralaya or Isha.

Because this thread is asking about one God or many gods, I'll focus on this area then.

My question is: Who is Krishna God, and can you explain more these words, Ishwaralaya, which means Isha, that also claim Krishna God?

I did learn Krishna wasn't a king.

Yet Krishan killed a king name Kamsa then later Krishna had to flee from king Jarasandha (this seems more about Kings and what all happened to Krishna) Krishna is a human being. I see human beings as gods.

(screenshot) video and below can see video and can read from Stephen Knapp
1714156787932.png

You changed the title of your video from April 20, 2024, to Convergence of Evidences for Origins of Jews in the Indus Valley.

Summery question:

1) How come people think of Krishna as God?

2) By Stephen Knapp said: Israel derived from Sanskrit word Ishwaralaya, which means Isha or Krishna God. What does that mean Krishna God?

3) So according to Stephen Knapp would Israel word mean Krishna God?

4) To those who understand Krishna as God, are there more then one God or only one God Krishna?

Last edited:

River Sea

My belief is intuitive, and developed over time, from experience. I'm henotheistic, not strictly polytheistic. I was raised agnostic or soft atheist, a 'none' completely. Being very much an independent thinker, I got to decide for myself, and not borrow other people's thoughts. Siva (my version of the Supreme god) found me first, but later, again from experience, His 'sons' Ganesha, and Murugan introduced themselves to me. They are mystically both emanations of Siva, and both are Gods in their own right, and on the surface, can operate independently of their emanator Siva. They were emanated for specific reasons. If Siva is the sun, both Light and Heat are emanations, both originated by the sun, but out here can be felt and perceived differently.

There is nothing intellectual about it, as it's all in mystical perception and experience. Of course this is just my personal take, and since this is such a diverse planet, I fully expect to read other takes here.

@Vinayaka

You were explaining that first Siva (Shiva) found you then Siva's sons Ganesha, and Murugan found you.

After reading your post yesterday, I looked up the name Murugan, and this is what I found, which I'll show further down in the post where I found

Lord Murugan is the God of War, he just doesn't represents the war between two opposite parties, but also teaches us to overcome our inner insecurities, the war inside us.

What are your thoughts about what I read from Aditee Apurvaa about Murugan, who teaches us to overcome inner insecurities—the war inside of us?

Here's where I found it, and from Aditee Apurvaa, who I read

Profile photo for Aditee Apurvaa
Aditee Apurvaa
3y
Lord Murugan is the God of War, he just doesn't represents the war between two opposite parties, but also teaches us to overcome our inner insecurities, the war inside us.

@Vinayaka

What are your thoughts about what I read from Aditee Apurvaa about Murugan, who teaches us to overcome inner insecurities—the war inside of us?

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@Vinayaka

You were explaining that first Siva (Shiva) found you then Siva's sons Ganesha, and Murugan found you.

After reading your post yesterday, I looked up the name Murugan, and this is what I found, which I'll show further down in the post where I found

Here's where I found it, and from Aditee Apurvaa, who I read

Profile photo for Aditee Apurvaa
Aditee Apurvaa
3y

@Vinayaka

People are free to view any deity the way they wish to. In North India, Murugan is often considered literally the God of war, and Murugan bhaktars like myself, who cling to ahimsa, cringe at the thought. It's insulting to Murugan, and to the devotees.

So anybody that speaks of it actually being on the inside align more with my own thoughts, and that of my sampradaya. Perhaps Murugan's Vel and what it represents will help. His Vel symbolized the power of His to pierce the bondages of ignorance, due to anava. So it's the struggle against the instinctive mind. It is far more apt to call Him the God of Yoga. His energy isn't as easy to feel as Ganesha's or Siva's for many, yet when you do catch hold of it, it scintillates. When you're ready for some serious stuff, Murugan appears. This is why penance is done in this name.

Vetri Vel Muruga!

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
"I often mention the 'work' being done in Heaven. Please read Revelation 5:9-10"
I am not familiar with the Bible, as you are, I am sure, not familiar with the holy books of other religions
Can you please write down in detail what is this work that is being done?
And why God needs to get it done?
How much does it pay? Is it enough to live on? How is the cost of living in Heaven?
How are the rents? Food costs?
The work being done in Heaven is by people like those mentioned at Luke 22:28-30.
These are referred to as saints or holy ones at Daniel 7:18; 7:21-22
Kings govern over a Kingdom government. In this case it is God's kingdom - Daniel 2:44
These heavenly kings they take care of governmental responsibilities for subjects or citizens of God's Kingdom.
Besides working with kingly duties those who govern with Jesus also take care of priestly duties or spiritual duties.
That is why Revelation 5:9-10 mention the two (2) jobs of having both a heavenly king and a heavenly priest.
Why God needs this to get it done is because at the end of Jesus' coming 1,000-year reign over Earth people who prove to be righteous ones can gain everlasting life on Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.
Those resurrected to Heaven are death proof, meaning they are immortal like Jesus - Revelation 20:6
Thus, there is No pay involved nor any rent/mortgage or food costs in Heaven.
Those who have a physical resurrection on Earth have to either remain righteous or become righteous people in order to keep on living. Living forever on Earth without sin or death in the picture.
This is why 1st Corinthians 15:24-26 mentions ' enemy death ' will be No more.
People living on Earth will build their own houses - Isaiah 65:22-25 - No rent nor mortgages.
Thus, the Bible is speaking about two (2) forever hopes: one heavenly and one earthly.