• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only your religion is right. Justification please!?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I hope you don't mind waiting - there's going to be a long que from this forum alone :D

Man... imagine all the furious people. :D
And not only atheists...there must be billions of people who have lived their lives believing in the wrong god (again, assuming such a thing exists).

"So...I assume you are the God of the Bible then?"
"Nope. I'm Bob."
"Bob?"
"Yeah, you know, the one true god and so on... Didn't you get the memo?"
"Memo? What are you talking about?"
"You know, all that sciency stuff that clearly showed an obvious lack of gods. I didn't want you people to worry so much so I made sure there was no credible reason to believe in any gods."
"So, you are not Yehovah?!?"
"Pretty sure I'm not."
"But, what am I going to do then? I lived my whole life according to your...errr...Yehovah's rules."
"Well, the pool is rather nice and if you get lucky maybe one of the other residents might agree to give you a back-rub or something later, but since ya'll have free will you're on your own there..."
:D

Midnight Pete

That really depends on your definition of "sin".

Do I break the ten commandments? Absolutely.
I have no problems "taking the lord's name in vain" and while I do not have any other gods before "him" I don't have "him" there either. Also, I covet all over the place.

Have I committed any of the so called seven mortal sins? Definitely.
I lust, some would call me proud, I have over-eaten (especially during the winter vacation that you call Christmas), being a citizen in one of the richest countries in the world probably gives me greed just by association, and when I feel like it I'm lazy as dirt.

So, yeah, it really depends on your definition. ;)

Never mind.

I'm not interesting in playing word-games with you.

Noaidi

slow walker
Is sin not an act against the will of the christian god? I often correct christians who brand me a sinner by telling them that they first have to show that their god exists before they can call me a sinner i.e. there must be a god to sin against.
That tends to kill the conversation somewhat.

BruceDLimber

Why? If an atheist s self reflective, a good citizen,and lives in a way that helps the poor and keeps or planet healthy. Does that not make him more ethical then somebody who believes the right things yet lives an unconscious life?

Not for me to judge.

Bruce

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Is sin not an act against the will of the christian god?
Maybe for those Christian that believe that or one that leans that way. But 'Sin' can be found in other(non-Abrahamic) religion.
Missing the make, doing something that would dishonor ones god/gods.

Noaidi

slow walker
No it's not, in the view of Christians like me. :)
I've heard several sermons on sin where it might be best described as dissonance.

Okay, but it's still an act or thought that humans perform that's not in accordance with what god wants or expects from us, no?

Religion is nothing more than the public expression of personal faith. And what lies at the heart of personal faith? One's personal relationship with the Divine. It's a relationship with God that does not involve anyone else. And when two or three people gather together to share their faith, it's called the Church or the Body. The Body of Christ. Join the Church and you become part of that body.

Nothing more? 9/11 was nothing more than public expression of personal faith? Ok, that is a horrible example. But, what about stem-cell research being banned, or condoms being condemed in aids ridden Africa? Religion is a LOT more than just personal faith. It is organised, it is planned, it is manipulative, it is controlling, it is inspirational, it can be good or bad (like any society, group or organisation).

Religion TO YOU, may be nothing more than personal faith, but religion on the whole is a heck of a lot of things other than personal faith.

3. God creates religions.
4A. People follow religions God created
4B. People follow God

It does help to have all the facts.

Religions justify their beliefs on the basis of who provided them.

That is like saying that you have seen the desert and there is no water so anyone believing in water isn't going by the only facts you need.

Your thread title is "Only your religion is right; justify please." however you have failed to address this in your OP.

This is of course a massive generalization, since those who are religious being fallible are usually wrong in some way about their religion and often enough that becomes part of their religion.

Christianity is the only right religion because it is the only one that provides salvation from sin.

Ok, thank you, lets use your reasoning then shall we?

1. GODS CREATE RELIGIONS
2. Many religions means there are many gods.
3. Bible and Quaran MUST be wrong.

It IS good to have all the facts.

Or, are you saying "The one an only god" created Hinduism with it's thousands of different gods, then told everyone there is only 1 god? Hmmmmm...sounds like god is either confused, a trickister, or he doesn't create religions, man does.

Well, ok, you did in the end say your religion (Christianity), is the ONLY right one. So, in that case, god makes wrong religions? Or man makes religions? So, yet again, my premise stands up.

Thank you for answering the question in your last line. You justify your religion to be right, because there is one aspect of it you particularly warm to, the idea of salvation. Interesting. Cheers.

Last edited:
There is a difference between a way that is true and one that is right. A person can be on a true path to hell but it is not the right path.

Everyone thinks their path is true whether it is or not. Some paths do not lead to the promised destination.

For instance some people think that doing good works and following a religion is a path to Heaven. They are in for a rude awakening when they find out their path didn't take them there.

Perhaps you are in for a rude awakening when you find out the Hindus are right, and there is thousands of gods. Your religion has no more validity than any other. You may not like this fact, but it is however, quite true.

That is like the criminal who isn't worried about jail time becuase he doesn't believe the police will catch him. It is an irrational belief and so is yours.

This is the same as stating: You should worried about the fairy police finding out you didn't polish your unicorn's horn with the correct unicorn horn polish.

Prove to me, there is no unicorns and no fairy police that enforce the upkeep of unicorn horns.

If you don't believe me, you will be in for a rude awakening after you die.

(sound familiar?)

Atomist

I love you.
Is sin not an act against the will of the christian god? I often correct christians who brand me a sinner by telling them that they first have to show that their god exists before they can call me a sinner i.e. there must be a god to sin against.
That tends to kill the conversation somewhat.
I think the problem is that they can't comprehend someone that doesn't see god in the world.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Nothing more? 9/11 was nothing more than public expression of personal faith? Ok, that is a horrible example. But, what about stem-cell research being banned, or condoms being condemed in aids ridden Africa? Religion is a LOT more than just personal faith. It is organised, it is planned, it is manipulative, it is controlling, it is inspirational, it can be good or bad (like any society, group or organisation).

Religion TO YOU, may be nothing more than personal faith, but religion on the whole is a heck of a lot of things other than personal faith.

That's just organized religion getting involved with politics, which IS a major problem, no arguments from me.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
This was only an example. I didn't say ALL hindu's believe. I just use this as a single example, and it's not the point of the question at all.
Thank you for the advice on studying religions, and yes, I will. I have plan to read the Vedas soon, after I've finished the Quran.

Uh... the Vedas are NOTHING like the texts of Abrahamic religions, as they aren't books to be read, but hymns to be chanted. (At least this is true of the Samhitas.) Couple this with the fact that the only public-domain complete (though not quite) translation of the Vedas is 100 years old and very inaccurate.

If you like, I can give you a better reading list of which hymns to read, as well as which of the other Vedic texts you can read (because they're as highly revered and more well-known than the Vedas.)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Perhaps you are in for a rude awakening when you find out the Hindus are right, and there is thousands of gods. Your religion has no more validity than any other. You may not like this fact, but it is however, quite true.

If we're right, he's perfectly fine, because he's worshiping another form of the One God. :D (At least if that philosophy of Hinduism is correct.)

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Since you break God's law and are glad of it, then is not God justified in punishing you and ultimately sending you to hell?

First you would have to persuade is that there is a God, then that He has laws, and that you know what those are, and they are what is written in this particular ancient holy book. Go.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
There is a difference between a way that is true and one that is right. A person can be on a true path to hell but it is not the right path.

Everyone thinks their path is true whether it is or not. Some paths do not lead to the promised destination.

For instance some people think that doing good works and following a religion is a path to Heaven. They are in for a rude awakening when they find out their path didn't take them there.

And some people think Heaven is an imaginary place. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?