• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Open debate: does God exist?

RogerTheAtheist

A born-again freethinker
I'm new here but would like to debate non-atheists about the existence of god. If you feel that any meaningful definition of god exists, feel free to share your reasons why.

Man of Faith

In the wake of the Newtown, CT crime, I think it is a good time to talk about objective moral values and duties. I don’t think that there is a person on this earth that could say that what was done to those people and children could be in anyway be construed as moral, which is evidence that there are objective morals in the world. The only question left is where did objective values and morals come from? Did they come from light, or matter, or from evolution? Do we charge immorality to a lion that kills a deer, or a dog that steals a bone? The crime that was committed would be wrong and immoral in any community in the world.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well then. Seems to me that eliminates virtually every single concept (godly or otherwise) in existence. All classifications or observations of substances rely on definitional presuppositions. Since we're not allowed to do that, I guess the game is already over. Oh, darn. :shrug:

freethinker44

I don’t think that there is a person on this earth that could say that what was done to those people and children could be in anyway be construed as moral, which is evidence that there are objective morals in the world.

No, it's evidence that everyone agrees on something. Either way, the shooter apparently didn't think it was immoral, so that would be evidence against objective morality of murdering children.

Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to say something objective came from something. If morality came from something, it isn't objective, what it came from may or may not be objective, but morality itself would not be objective.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it's evidence that everyone agrees on something. Either way, the shooter apparently didn't think it was immoral, so that would be evidence against objective morality of murdering children.

Just like to point out that we cannot assume what the shooter's morality was from that. People behave in ways that conflict with their ideologies on a fairly regular basis.

Man of Faith

We just can't know that. in the circumstances that we observed, it is always immoral to go into a school and shoot innocent children to death, objectively wrong and immoral. There can be no subjectivity about that. That one single crime validates objective moral values and duties in the world and here is the conclusion.

A) If God did not exist, objective moral values and duties would not exist.
B) Objective moral values and duties do exist.
C) Therefore, God exists.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The only question left is where did objective values and morals come from?

From the combination of the capability for influencing the emotional and health status of ourselves and others with the capabilities for understanding relationships of cause and effect and likely outcomes of future actions.

Did they come from light, or matter, or from evolution? Do we charge immorality to a lion that kills a deer, or a dog that steals a bone? The crime that was committed would be wrong and immoral in any community in the world.

Perhaps surprisingly, I find myself mostly agreeing. There is abuse of the notion that "morality is relative". At least a few (yet very important) moral directives are in fact quite absolute, even if we may not have delineated them at all clearly yet.

RogerTheAtheist

A born-again freethinker
In the wake of the Newtown, CT crime, I think it is a good time to talk about objective moral values and duties. I don’t think that there is a person on this earth that could say that what was done to those people and children could be in anyway be construed as moral, which is evidence that there are objective morals in the world. The only question left is where did objective values and morals come from? Did they come from light, or matter, or from evolution? Do we charge immorality to a lion that kills a deer, or a dog that steals a bone? The crime that was committed would be wrong and immoral in any community in the world.

Would you describe the act of killing as objectively immoral? I can think of a few instances where it might be preferred:

1. Suppose every teacher in the school had a gun available (safely locked away but kept for situations like this) and knew how to use it. A teacher was able to get a gun in time after seeing someone walk in with a weapon. She could shoot and potentially kill the shooter before he has a chance to unload in a classroom. Should she?

2. A person has severe chronic pain and wishes to die. There's no known cure, and the person is otherwise mentally healthy. There are no children or dependents that would be negatively affected. However, this person wants assisted suicide for whatever reason. Should someone be allowed to help her if it's legal?

Well then. Seems to me that eliminates virtually every single concept (godly or otherwise) in existence. All classifications or observations of substances rely on definitional presuppositions. Since we're not allowed to do that, I guess the game is already over. Oh, darn. :shrug:

Lol, fine, any gods allowed.

Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to say something objective came from something. If morality came from something, it isn't objective, what it came from may or may not be objective, but morality itself would not be objective.

I must disagree. If objective morality exists, then a certain act would be immoral regardless of what any individual's stance on it is.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I'm new here but would like to debate non-atheists about the existence of god. If you feel that any meaningful definition of god exists, feel free to share your reasons why.

A meaningful definition (of God) to me is simply invocation or the imploring of a higher thought process in a way. Like when you take a test, or are trying to focus on something. "God" is this state of awareness, and when many people achieve these states they are capable of influencing a lot of people and sometimes in an oppressive way (like trying to oppress people's interpretation of God or by limiting God to the nature of well...nature).

Beyond that, there is always an idea behind another idea. And all interpretations are subject to what one experiences and wills.

RogerTheAtheist

A born-again freethinker
We just can't know that. in the circumstances that we observed, it is always immoral to go into a school and shoot innocent children to death, objectively wrong and immoral. There can be no subjectivity about that. That one single crime validates objective moral values and duties in the world and here is the conclusion.

A) If God did not exist, objective moral values and duties would not exist.
B) Objective moral values and duties do exist.
C) Therefore, God exists.

I don't accept premise A because certain actions can be agreed upon in almost all cultures based on logic, reasoning, and values such as well-being. The well-being of the children outweighs the shooter's right to pull the trigger.

A meaningful definition (of God) to me is simply invocation or the imploring of a higher thought process in a way. Like when you take a test, or are trying to focus on something. "God" is this state of awareness, and when many people achieve these states they are capable of influencing a lot of people and sometimes in an oppressive way (like trying to oppress people's interpretation of God or by limiting God to the nature of well...nature).

Beyond that, there is always an idea behind another idea. And all interpretations are subject to what one experiences and wills.

If you define god as thinking, are you implying a supernatural force behind it?

Orias

Left Hand Path
Actually objective means it can be applied. Subjective exists interdependently of objective, because objective materials consist of a subjective perception yet objective (or as appears) existence.

Man of Faith

Well in that case, we can't know that everyone, everywhere in the universe would agree that the shooting was immoral neither.

Objectivity means that something is wrong, no matter if we think it is wrong or not. If someone in the universe didn't think that it was wrong, it would still be wrong and it is.

freethinker44

Objectivity means that something is wrong, no matter if we think it is wrong or not. If someone in the universe didn't think that it was wrong, it would still be wrong and it is.

If something can be perceived differently from one person to the next, it is subjective.

I'm not sure a concept or idea can even be considered objective anyways.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Existence is a given, definition is the only question. All things exist first as concepts. God is no different. It is most definitely a concept. And concepts exist. God is actually a bit more than that, as it is a very popular concept, so it has been translated into reality in the written word, illustration, sculpture, etc. Thus, god exists as these things as well. If there is a god in the universe beyond that I can't be sure, but I certainly believe it does.