• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Original Sin, infants, and the Bible

What is the biblical evidence for original sin?

By DG Staff January 23, 2006

There are several lines of biblical evidence for the historic Christian doctrine that we are all born into the world with sinful natures, due to the sin of Adam.

Scripture says that we are born sinners and that we are by nature sinners
Psalm 51:5 states that we all come into the world as sinners: "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me." Ephesians 2:2 says that all people who are not in Christ are "sons of disobedience." Ephesians 2:3 also establishes this, saying that we are all "by nature children of wrath." If we are all "by nature children of wrath," it can only be because we are all by nature sinners--for God does not direct His wrath towards those who are not guilty. God did not create the human race sinful, but upright. But we fell into sin and became sinful due to the sin of Adam.

Scripture speaks of humans as unrighteous from infancy
There are also verses which declare that we are all unrighteous from the time that we are born. Proverbs 22:15 says "Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child." Genesis 8:21 declares, "...the intent of man's heart is evil from his youth." Jonathon Edwards, in his classic work The Great Christian Doctrine of Original Sin Defended, remarks that on this verse: "The word translated youth, signifies the whole of the former part of the age of man, which commences from the beginning of life. The word in its derivation, has reference to the birth or beginning of existence...so that the word here translated youth, comprehends not only what we in English most commonly call the time of youth, but also childhood and infancy."

Humanity is Often Described in General Terms as Unrighteous

Unrighteousness is often spoken of in Scripture as something belonging to the human race as a whole.This implies that it is the property of our species. In other words, sinfulness is considered a property of human nature after the fall. Thus, it must be concluded that we are all born sinners, since we are all born human and sin is regarded as a property of humanity. In this vein, consider Ephesians 2:1-3:
And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.​
Paul is here reminding Christians of what they were like before their conversion to Christ ("you were dead in your trespasses...in which you formerly walked"). Thus, all people, until and unless they are converted, are sinners. Paul goes on to make it absolutely clear that all Christians came from this state ("...we to all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh") and that all non-Christians are still in this state ("...and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.") Thus, Scripture regards all people before they are saved by Christ as sinners and thus deserving of punishment from God. Which is to say that from the inception of our existence, we are sinful.

In Psalm 14:2, 3 we read: "The Lord has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one." Here again we see unrighteousness as a property of the human race: "they have all turned aside...there is no one who does good."
Job 15:14 similarly declares that sinfulness is a property of humanity: "What is man, that he should be pure, or he who is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?" Verses 15-16 then speaks of the human race as a whole in shocking terms expressing our general corruption: "Behold, He puts no trust in His holy ones, And the heavens are not pure in His sight; How much less one who is detestable and corrupt, Man, who drinks iniquity like water!"

Jeremiah 17:9 says that "the heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it." This seems to assume original sin--wickedness is a property of the human heart. Ecclesiastes 9:3 declares a similar truth: "...the hearts of the sons of men are full of evil, and insanity is in their hearts through their lives." Again, the human heart is sinful, and therefore all humans are sinful.

These texts indicate, then, that human nature is corrupt. Therefore, even infants are corrupt because they are human. And if infants are corrupt, then this is the same as saying that we are born corrupt--which means we are born with original sin. One may, however, object that these texts speak nothing of infants, only those who are old enough to make moral decisions. All of those people are sinful, but this doesn't mean that infants are.

This is an ingenious objection, but it does not succeed. First, the texts do not seem to restrict themselves to people who are old enough to make intelligent decisions. They seem to speak of human nature as a whole, a classification under which infants certainly fall. Second, as Jonathan Edwards pointed out, "..this would not alter the case...For if all mankind, as soon as ever they are capable of reflecting, and knowing their own moral state, find themselves wicked, this proves that they are wicked by nature."
In other words, even if these verses were only speaking of people old enough to mentally understand sin, they would still be teaching original sin. For on that view, these verses would be saying that all people, as soon as they know good from evil, find themselves sinners. But if all people, as soon as they are capable of moral decisions, find themselves sinners, this proves that they are that way by nature.

Third, Edwards also says, "why should man be so continually spoken of as evil, carnal, perverse, deceitful, and desperately wicked, if all men are by nature as perfectly innocent, and free form any propensity to evil, as Adam was the first moment of his creation?" (Edwards, The Great Christian Doctrine of Original Sin, 188).

Infants die, therefore they are not innocent
Death--both physical and spiritual--is a result of sin (Romans 5:12; 6:23). Thus, death only comes upon those who have sinned. Since infants die, they therefore must be sinners. It could be objected that Christ was sinless, and yet He died. But He willingly gave up His life, and He did it to conquer the curse of death that we were under. In fact, God imputed to Christ our sins on the cross, and Christ died in punishment of those sins.

If humanity is not born in sin, wouldn't we expect there to be some people who have "beaten the odds" and never sinned?
If we are born innocent and good, why aren't there at least some people who have continued in this state and remained sinless? The fact that everybody sins needs some explanation. The best explanation is that we are sinners by nature. Someone might argue that the reason all people sin is because society is sinful, and thus society renders it impossible for anybody to keep themselves entirely pure. But that only pushes the question back one step. How did society get sinful in the first place? If people are born morally good, then how did it come about that they congregated into socities that influence all people to sin?

Further Resources
Jonathan Edwards, The Great Christian Doctrine of Original Sin Defended in The Works of Jonathan Edwards Volume I, pp. 143-233.
Wayne Grudem, Systematic Theology, chapter 24, "Sin."

© Desiring God

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus himself contradicts most of this;

Matthew 18;

1At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
6But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
7Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

Matt.18:10; Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

If you'll notice, none of the quotes in your OP are from the gospels themselves. It's all either OT or Paul.

I think it's a matter of who you want to listen to.

Jesus himself contradicts most of this;

Matthew 18;

1At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
6But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
7Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

Matt.18:10; Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

If you'll notice, none of the quotes in your OP are from the gospels themselves. It's all either OT or Paul.

I think it's a matter of who you want to listen to.

Are you saying that you only accept the words of Jesus as being true?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you saying that you only accept the words of Jesus as being true?

Not exactly. I'm not a christian, persay, so I basically just take from the bible---or the Koran, or the Tao Te Ching, or some of the better bathroom walls---whatever rings true for me.

I do believe, however, that if someone is trying to make a determination about anything to do with christianity, those words attributed to Jesus himself should take precedence over anything else.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

Regardless of what other passages are around, Ezekiel 18:14-20 makes it quite clear that sin is NOT inherited!

So Jews and Christians (at least) have NO BUSINESS believing in "original sin!"

This appears to be a doctrine built mainly by ignoring scriptural evidence to the contrary.

I'll happily stipulate most if not all of us sin, but that's entirely our own faults and our own doing: nothing whatever to do with "original sin."

Peace,

Bruce

Wisdom_Seeker

Speaker of my Truth
this is just a refference to karma accumulation from past lives. a child is born with a karma accumulated from his past lives, that is why some kids have a very ugly childhood. They are just suffering the suffering they caused to others in past lives.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
We are all spiritual infants. All have been subject to death. All have been given eternal life.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
First, you need to understand what original sin is. We believe it and teach it, so the least you can do is understand what it is that we teach. I’ve been in this forum long enough to see that it’s widely misunderstood. You can check out these threads to get clarifications:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=422201#post422201

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29172&page=2

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50058&highlight=original

Original sin is:
Human nature deprived of its original holiness.

As a result of original sin, human nature is weakened in its powers, subject to ignorance, suffering and the domination of death, and inclined to sin (this inclination is called "concupiscence").

Having provided this, is there still an objection?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So you think that Hell if full of beings who never had a chance to either reject or accept God? I am sorry, but I don't buy that. And I believe that anyone can put random verses together and make a case for almost anything. Trust me, I have tried it in the past (and maybe I will show an example of what I can come up with someday).

Ronald

The "Second man Adam" shed the redeeming blood for all mankind to repair the rip in Godliness! The only catch is one has to have faith in God, when we return to Godliness, we accept the sacrifice that makes us clean, "Go and sin no more."

Shalom

Free4all

It's all about the blood
Infants die, therefore they are not innocent
Death--both physical and spiritual--is a result of sin (Romans 5:12; 6:23). Thus, death only comes upon those who have sinned. Since infants die, they therefore must be sinners. It could be objected that Christ was sinless, and yet He died. But He willingly gave up His life, and He did it to conquer the curse of death that we were under. In fact, God imputed to Christ our sins on the cross, and Christ died in punishment of those sins.

You qoute Romans 5:12 - keep reading to verse 13
For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Babies/children aren't under the law yet - so sin isn't imputed.
Paul talks about it:
For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. Rom 7:9
He was alive as baby/child without the law. - No law, No impute

So you think that Hell if full of beings who never had a chance to either reject or accept God? I am sorry, but I don't buy that. And I believe that anyone can put random verses together and make a case for almost anything. Trust me, I have tried it in the past (and maybe I will show an example of what I can come up with someday).

Please consider the Apostle Paul's writing in Romans chapter 1 and chapter 2, declaring all are guilty apart from hearing the gospel. Let me know what you think.

You qoute Romans 5:12 - keep reading to verse 13
For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Babies/children aren't under the law yet - so sin isn't imputed.
Paul talks about it:
For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. Rom 7:9
He was alive as baby/child without the law. - No law, No impute

The proof of original sin and imputation of it is shown by death prior to the law. Read Romans 5 again.

Romans 5
12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— 13for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. 14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.

Or...not. :areyoucra

In the Roman Catholic understanding, the sacrament of baptism washes away the original sin that dams a soul to Hell, correct? After a baby is baptized, he or she is in a saving state with God. This happens after the sacrament of baptism, correct?

sojourner

Please consider the Apostle Paul's writing in Romans chapter 1 and chapter 2, declaring all are guilty apart from hearing the gospel. Let me know what you think.

What now? If all are guilty apart from hearing the gospel, and the gospel has been heard, then we may conclude that...what?

sojourner

The proof of original sin and imputation of it is shown by death prior to the law. Read Romans 5 again.

Romans 5
12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— 13for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. 14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.

You really need to read to the end of the chapter, at least, in order to understand what Paul is driving at. This is not an advocacy for the power of sin, it's an advocacy of the even greater power of grace over sin. It has nothing to do with "original sin," unless you're spreading peyote on your bagels...

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
In the Roman Catholic understanding, the sacrament of baptism washes away the original sin that dams a soul to Hell, correct? After a baby is baptized, he or she is in a saving state with God. This happens after the sacrament of baptism, correct?
As I said:
First, you need to understand what original sin is...

Take baby steps. We can deal with baptism in another thread.
But to feed your curiousity yes a baby is in a "saving state" once baptized. But as to whether they will go to Hell we believe an unbaptized infant is left to the love of God. This basically means that we don't really know what happens to them.