• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ouija Boards

Do you believe that Ouija boards allow contact with the spirit world?

• Yes

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Comicaze247

See the previous line
People claim to have been using things like ouija boards, dowsing rods and facilitated communication since they were kids as well. There's nothing to show there's anything other than psychological effects involved.
You mean nothing that you have seen yourself, right?

I don't find it amusing how the overly credulous ascribe some supernatural explanation to pretty well understood psychological phenomenon. I find it's more a reflection of a poor understanding of scientific principles in favor of lazy unsubstantiated explanations like spirits or magic in general.
That's a pretty rude assumption to make, on your part.
How are you to know someone else's level of understanding of scientific principles?
How are you to know whether or not someone actually weighed out the doubt against experimental results?
Why is it that an explanation via spirits and magick is a "lazy" one to you? Couldn't the same be said if you just read the scientific explanation from a Google search, rather than testing it yourself?

As I said, I was a skeptic myself, especially having been brought up in a Catholic family, being taught that Ouija boards were fake AND "evil." I knew about the ideomotor effect. I knew it was possible that the other person was messing with it. I took all those into account. The first several times, I couldn't believe any of it. But trying again and again, the doubt began to fade.

It's up to the claimant to actually support the alleged events as described, not the skeptic to debunk it. All manner of claims can be made from alien abductions to being miraculously healed by God to telepathy- in all these circumstances of extraordinary claims it's up to the claimant to offer up some evidence. Of course your description of the events can't be explained solely by the ideomotor effect, but I did say ouija board claims are the product of the ideomotor effect and self delusion:

... particularly when it comes to validating a personal biased worldview. If you experienced a planchette floating and swirling smoke and flickering lights while using a ouija board once it would be awesome if you could demonstrate it again, capture it on video or better yet actually perform it with some scientific protocols attached. If it happened at least once- and tens of thousands of times if even a fraction of ouija board claims are true- it should be repeatable. That's why we use the scientific method- it's the best means of filtering out as much human bias as possible when testing extraordinary claims.
:facepalm: If you were willing to learn anything about the spirit world, you'd know that spirits don't tend to do the same things every time, nor do they like being told what to do. Have you tried any of this yourself?

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Just watch from minute 3:30 on, it is as simple as that.

[youtube]cma5Zn7xrWU[/youtube]
Hell, even before I started seriously looking into mysticism, I knew stuff that they're (coincidentally) not mentioning.

So assume, just for a moment, that the spirit world is real, and therefore, that spirits are real. As they are on a different plane of existence, they are essentially ethereal, right? So they cannot normally interact with our realm.
What many people don't realize that they are doing when using the Ouija board is that the spirit isn't moving the glass. It is using their finger(s), or sometimes the whole body, as a medium, through which, it can interact with our world. What most users don't realize is that by using one, they are giving permission to the spirit to enter their body and use the energy to guide the glass. So of course the card would move first. That's where the spirit is moving it from.

EDIT: On top of that, it would be a better experiment to not give anyone explanations of anything, so that they don't HAVE any of those expectations to begin with, then ask them questions about whatever place they are in. A good idea would be to take them to a place that is reportedly haunted without them realizing it, then have them use the Ouija board and ask them questions that YOU think of yourself.

Last edited:

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Hell, even before I started seriously looking into mysticism, I knew stuff that they're (coincidentally) not mentioning.

So assume, just for a moment, that the spirit world is real, and therefore, that spirits are real. As they are on a different plane of existence, they are essentially ethereal, right? So they cannot normally interact with our realm.
What many people don't realize that they are doing when using the Ouija board is that the spirit isn't moving the glass. It is using their finger(s), or sometimes the whole body, as a medium, through which, it can interact with our world. What most users don't realize is that by using one, they are giving permission to the spirit to enter their body and use the energy to guide the glass. So of course the card would move first. That's where the spirit is moving it from.

EDIT: On top of that, it would be a better experiment to not give anyone explanations of anything, so that they don't HAVE any of those expectations to begin with, then ask them questions about whatever place they are in. A good idea would be to take them to a place that is reportedly haunted without them realizing it, then have them use the Ouija board and ask them questions that YOU think of yourself.

Precisely!

Last edited:

MissAlice

I have one I keep under my bed.

Used a couple of times with my eyes closed. I did have a strange occurence once, while my eyes were closed my hand jerked and the light bulb in my room went out. That was it, nothing ever since then has occurred out of the extraordinary. I think it was due to my tremors (I do have a mild seizure disorder) and coincidence.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
If the scientists go into an experiment with a preconcieved notion, thinking subconsciously that something is going to turn out a certain way...chances are it will turn out a certain way, and they will unknowingly manipulate the experiment in such a way as to get the results they "subconsciously" wanted or expected to get. They are in effect putting themselves in the same frickin boat! To do a real scientific experiment, or to properly use the Ouija board for that matter, one must conduct both tasks with a clear conscience and without any preconceived notions. People just need to have an open mind. There are things in this world that even science does not know or understand...that is a fact. There are also a lot of things in this world that humans just make up in their heads, but to say that everyone who has had an experience with an Ouija board is just subconsiously causing the movement themselves is not what I would call open-minded...That in itself is another "preconcieved notion" and as such may be equally as fallible.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
If the scientists go into an experiment with a preconcieved notion, thinking subconsciously that something is going to turn out a certain way...chances are it will turn out a certain way, and they will unknowingly manipulate the experiment in such a way as to get the results they "subconsciously" wanted or expected to get. They are in effect putting themselves in the same frickin boat! To do a real scientific experiment, or to properly use the Ouija board for that matter, one must conduct both tasks with a clear conscience and without any preconceived notions. People just need to have an open mind. There are things in this world that even science does not know or understand...that is a fact. There are also a lot of things in this world that humans just make up in their heads, but to say that everyone who has had an experience with an Ouija board is just subconsiously causing the movement themselves is not what I would call open-minded...That in itself is another "preconcieved notion" and as such may be equally as fallible.
I would agree with you. That is why I find the experiment done on Penn & Teller's show was credible.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
This thread has made me decide to get a glow in the dark Ouija board. I just have to work on my significant other not thinking it is demonic. Having such a thing around the house is a little more obvious than some Tarot cards, runes, and dice.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
You mean nothing that you have seen yourself, right?
I mean nothing I've seen and nothing scientifically validated.
That's a pretty rude assumption to make, on your part.
How are you to know someone else's level of understanding of scientific principles?
Not an assumption at all. In this case I was basing my opinion of the level of scientific understanding by Draka's post, the one post I was responding to:
I also find it almost really amusing to see all the people who say "ideometer effect" and other such stupidity as well.
...and ascribing a supernatural explanation simply ignores Occam's razor and has no logical reason to be favored. Again, my post was referring to Draka's post, a post which was a textbook example of someone who is not applying scientific principles such as parsimony.
How are you to know whether or not someone actually weighed out the doubt against experimental results?
I read the post. That's how. :confused: Do you have data suggesting otherwise, such as some experimental protocol that was followed?
Why is it that an explanation via spirits and magick is a "lazy" one to you? Couldn't the same be said if you just read the scientific explanation from a Google search, rather than testing it yourself?
It's lazy because it violates Occam's razor, it's lazy because well understood scientific explanations are more than adequate to explain alleged ouja board events- as far back as 1852 the ideomotor effect was proposed and applicable here. There is zero evidence for a spirit world, or psychic phenomenon, or the supernatural. These explanations are lazy because they're proposed with no means of falsification and nothing to back them up. It's like arriving at the conclusion that rainbows are created by pixies and leprechauns without actually investigating the optical physics involved even though the materialistic scientific explanations not only adequately explain rainbows, there is also absolutely no evidence any pixies or leprechauns are involved- they're a superfluous explanation.

And my position isn't based on a Google search. William Benjamin Carter provided the ideomotor explanation a century and a half ago, and no other explanation has been substantiated more than his. So no Googling was necessary; I've read plenty on paranormal claims in general.
As I said, I was a skeptic myself, especially having been brought up in a Catholic family, being taught that Ouija boards were fake AND "evil." I knew about the ideomotor effect. I knew it was possible that the other person was messing with it. I took all those into account. The first several times, I couldn't believe any of it. But trying again and again, the doubt began to fade.
I'd give anything to see these claims validated. Try again with some test conditions applied and record the results. If a university were to set up some ouija board tests and you were able to show something anomalous was occurring, the scientific world would be enthralled.
:facepalm: If you were willing to learn anything about the spirit world...
"That's a pretty rude assumption to make, on your part.
How are you to know someone's level of understanding of [claims of the spiritual world]?"
;)
...you'd know that spirits don't tend to do the same things every time, nor do they like being told what to do.
I'm confused- you just said:

"I knew about the ideomotor effect. I knew it was possible that the other person was messing with it. I took all those into account. The first several times, I couldn't believe any of it. But trying again and again, the doubt began to fade."

Which is it? Do they appear again and do spooky stuff like it's some bad 80s horror flick or do they not repeat things? Your explanation is the classic psychic caveat of "it always works when I'm with believers but skeptics inhibit my power" or "ghosts don't like to make their presence known to doubters" or "fairies hide whenever unbelievers are in the glen" type of justification. Most ouija board claims are mundane and repetitious- it's usually either/and gathering allegedly secret information those present shouldn't have access to as well as the planchette mysteriously moving on its own. Since these two things are so common it shouldn't be difficult to replicate it under controlled situations. The problem is that when controls have been applied nothing happens.
Have you tried any of this yourself?
Have I tried a ouija board? Of course. Have I been involved with experiments with those who claim to gather info' via ouija boards? Yes, I've done it in the past as a psychology class experiment and a few other experiments. There's nothing to suggest anything supernatural is involved.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I would agree with you. That is why I find the experiment done on Penn & Teller's show was credible.

Hate to say it, but quite honestly, those guys look and act like a couple of idiots. Obviously they had some preconcieved notions themselves before even going on to film this video. They also found the most hokey looking "spiritualistic mediums" to subconciously make people watching the video think the Ouija board was just a joke/halloween dress-up game. The Ouija board is not to be taken lightly as it is quite potentially dangerous. As far as I am concerned, the Ouija board should only be played with two persons at a time, not three or four.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I don't think you're actually looking at this objectively. You have preconceived notions as well about the ouija board. Because of that, you just automatically call the exposures fake without really backing up that statement.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I don't think you're actually looking at this objectively. You have preconceived notions as well about the ouija board. Because of that, you just automatically call the exposures fake without really backing up that statement.

That is a possiblility...we are all fallible. I admit that I might be wrong about my belief in spirits...sound fair? Can you too admit that you might be wrong?

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Not an assumption at all. In this case I was basing my opinion of the level of scientific understanding by Draka's post, the one post I was responding to:

...and ascribing a supernatural explanation simply ignores Occam's razor and has no logical reason to be favored. Again, my post was referring to Draka's post, a post which was a textbook example of someone who is not applying scientific principles such as parsimony.
Well, I can't speak for Draka here. But in my experience, people who look further into it can tell when somebody's messing with the glass, so with the more experienced, I'd think the ideomotor effect would become less and less of a factor.

It's lazy because it violates Occam's razor, it's lazy because well understood scientific explanations are more than adequate to explain alleged ouja board events- as far back as 1852 the ideomotor effect was proposed and applicable here. There is zero evidence for a spirit world, or psychic phenomenon, or the supernatural. These explanations are lazy because they're proposed with no means of falsification and nothing to back them up. It's like arriving at the conclusion that rainbows are created by pixies and leprechauns without actually investigating the optical physics involved even though the materialistic scientific explanations not only adequately explain rainbows, there is also absolutely no evidence any pixies or leprechauns are involved- they're a superfluous explanation.
I don't believe that it's lazy when people actually do their own investigations and do experience different results than what science would say. I'd think that if they took the time to take a deep look at things then came to their conclusion, then that isn't lazy.

And my position isn't based on a Google search. William Benjamin Carter provided the ideomotor explanation a century and a half ago, and no other explanation has been substantiated more than his. So no Googling was necessary; I've read plenty on paranormal claims in general.
Fair enough.

I'd give anything to see these claims validated. Try again with some test conditions applied and record the results. If a university were to set up some ouija board tests and you were able to show something anomalous was occurring, the scientific world would be enthralled.
If I had the money and training, I would. Hell, if I had the money, there are a LOT of experiments I'd conduct, but that's beside the point :p

"That's a pretty rude assumption to make, on your part.
How are you to know someone's level of understanding of [claims of the spiritual world]?"
;)
Touche. Though I was basing that on how you were coming off in this thread, seeming closed-minded in my opinion.

I'm confused- you just said:

"I knew about the ideomotor effect. I knew it was possible that the other person was messing with it. I took all those into account. The first several times, I couldn't believe any of it. But trying again and again, the doubt began to fade."

Which is it? Do they appear again and do spooky stuff like it's some bad 80s horror flick or do they not repeat things? Your explanation is the classic psychic caveat of "it always works when I'm with believers but skeptics inhibit my power" or "ghosts don't like to make their presence known to doubters" or "fairies hide whenever unbelievers are in the glen" type of justification.
I don't see how those two statements don't fit together. Nor do I see how it's remotely related to "it doesn't show up to non-believers"-type explanations.
I simply said that spirits don't like being told what to do, and they don't generally do the same things over and over.
The other statement you quoted was simply describing how I experimented with it over and over again, each time, making me less and less skeptical. Of course the "results" weren't the same every time, as I asked different questions every time, different people would participate, I'd do it at different times of the day, and sometimes the spirit just didn't feel like talking. It actually even told me "I'm just tired, maybe later." So the specific results will be different every time, but one is the same: I made contact.

Most ouija board claims are mundane and repetitious- it's usually either/and gathering allegedly secret information those present shouldn't have access to as well as the planchette mysteriously moving on its own. Since these two things are so common it shouldn't be difficult to replicate it under controlled situations. The problem is that when controls have been applied nothing happens.
What do you mean by "nothing happens?" The planchette doesn't move? Or nothing accurate is revealed?

Have I tried a ouija board? Of course. Have I been involved with experiments with those who claim to gather info' via ouija boards? Yes, I've done it in the past as a psychology class experiment and a few other experiments. There's nothing to suggest anything supernatural is involved.
*envies the class experiment part*
Have you seen any experiments like the one I proposed earlier?

"EDIT: On top of that, it would be a better experiment to not give anyone explanations of anything, so that they don't HAVE any of those expectations to begin with, then ask them questions about whatever place they are in. A good idea would be to take them to a place that is reportedly haunted without them realizing it, then have them use the Ouija board and ask them questions that YOU think of yourself."

Last edited:

Marsh

My sister and I have used one in our house. It's just a common one that you get from a toy store, glow in the dark and everything.... I'm just wondering what other RFers think of this.

My father bought me one for Christmas one year when I was a kid. He had one as a child and seemed to think they were a lot of fun and hope I would enjoy it as well. I had great hopes of contacting ghosts, but unfortunately nothing happened. After many attempts to contact the spirit world I got bored and put it away. I think my siblings played with it a bit, but again, no one had any supernatural experiences.

In my late teens I had a friend who used a home made Ouija board. He claimed to have success contacting a spirit, but it never worked when he and I tried it. My sister purchased one a few years ago for her family, but as far as I know they never raised any spirits either.

I must remain skeptical.