• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overturning Roe V Wade

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Well, there it is: Governor Pete Ricketts (R) of Nebraska has publicly stated that a woman who has been made pregnant while being raped should be forced to carry the "baby" to term. And that it is his intention, should SCOTUS overturn Roe, to enact just such a law.

She doesn't count at all, there's no punishment too great for women who have somehow been the cause of their own misfortune. She probably brought it on herself anyway, like maybe she wasn't wearing a burka -- or chaps or whatever they're supposed to wear in Nebraska.

To me, this gives more substance to my suspicion that often, women really aren't seen by conservatives as being much more than baby ovens and feeders.

Every time I think of the Christian Right GOP, I can't help but think of The Handmaid's Tale. It seems as if the Republic of Gilead is the society that the Christian Right desires, because they're always attacking a woman's right to choose what to do with her own body.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
On other forums I have mentioned that the interpretation of Exodus 21 22 has changed since Roe v Wade. I have not as of yet found an online source for older Bibles, but I have one in my house. And when I found and quoted from it I did not realize at the time that it was a Catholic Bible. You cannot find a group more anti-abortion than the Catholic Church. So it clearly is not a pro-abortion Bible. Here is my response to another that tried to use a present day translation to oppose abortion:

And that translation was changed to that after Roe v Wade to make it look as if there was a premature birth instead of a miscarriage. I can't find my Bible right now but I do have my housemates New American Bible that was published in 1970:

"When men have a fight and hurt a pregnant woman , so that she suffers a miscarriage, but no further injury, the guilty one shall be fined as much as the woman's husband demands of him, and he shall pay in the presence of judges." <bolding is mine>

A long time ago I noticed that change. Don't trust me, go find Bible from pre Roe v Wade and see for yourself.

EDIT: I just realized that the Bible I quoted from was a Catholic Bible. They were antiabortion long before the evangelicals were. And, at least at that time, did not find a need to print a false interpretation of their holy book.

I don't want to be accused of using a pro-abortion Bible.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Well, there it is: Governor Pete Ricketts (R) of Nebraska has publicly stated that a woman who has been made pregnant while being raped should be forced to carry the "baby" to term. And that it is his intention, should SCOTUS overturn Roe, to enact just such a law.

She doesn't count at all, there's no punishment too great for women who have somehow been the cause of their own misfortune. She probably brought it on herself anyway, like maybe she wasn't wearing a burka -- or chaps or whatever they're supposed to wear in Nebraska.

To me, this gives more substance to my suspicion that often, women really aren't seen by conservatives as being much more than baby ovens and feeders.
Cool! Let's force her to give birth to the next Ted Bundy!:rolleyes:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Cool! Let's force her to give birth to the next Ted Bundy!:rolleyes:
Frankly, I think American women might consider the Lysistrata solution to this problem ---

Lysistrata (/laɪˈsɪstrətə/ or /ˌlɪsəˈstrɑːtə/; Attic Greek: Λυσιστράτη, Lysistrátē, "Army Disbander") is an ancient Greek comedy by Aristophanes, originally performed in classical Athens in 411 BC. It is a comic account of a woman's extraordinary mission to end the Peloponnesian War between Greek city states by denying all the men of the land any sex, which was the only thing they truly and deeply desired. Lysistrata persuades the women of the warring cities to withhold sexual privileges from their husbands and lovers as a means of forcing the men to negotiate peace—a strategy, however, that inflames the battle between the sexes.

The play is notable for being an early exposé of sexual relations in a male-dominated society. Additionally, its dramatic structure represents a shift from the conventions of Old Comedy, a trend typical of the author's career.[2] It was produced in the same year as the Thesmophoriazusae, another play with a focus on gender-based issues, just two years after Athens' catastrophic defeat in the Sicilian Expedition.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Frankly, I think American women might consider the Lysistrata solution to this problem ---

Lysistrata (/laɪˈsɪstrətə/ or /ˌlɪsəˈstrɑːtə/; Attic Greek: Λυσιστράτη, Lysistrátē, "Army Disbander") is an ancient Greek comedy by Aristophanes, originally performed in classical Athens in 411 BC. It is a comic account of a woman's extraordinary mission to end the Peloponnesian War between Greek city states by denying all the men of the land any sex, which was the only thing they truly and deeply desired. Lysistrata persuades the women of the warring cities to withhold sexual privileges from their husbands and lovers as a means of forcing the men to negotiate peace—a strategy, however, that inflames the battle between the sexes.

The play is notable for being an early exposé of sexual relations in a male-dominated society. Additionally, its dramatic structure represents a shift from the conventions of Old Comedy, a trend typical of the author's career.[2] It was produced in the same year as the Thesmophoriazusae, another play with a focus on gender-based issues, just two years after Athens' catastrophic defeat in the Sicilian Expedition.
It is a very good play, probably one of the funniest I have ever read (I hurt myself laughing when the one woman is poking fun at the male features of the women due to them being played by men).
Except a lot of women here wouldn't think about doing that because she is supposed to submit to her husband.