• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palastinians now non member observer status

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, this has sure turned into an intellectual stimulating discussion.
As a person, on record, supporting "Palestine" getting minor recognition from the UN, can you explain why you support the idea. Have the "Palestinians" done anything in particular to warrant such recognition? Do you believe that this recognition will help to further the "peace" process with Israel? (On a side note, I wonder when the next elections will be in the West Bank and Gaza. It's been quite a while now. The date seems to keep getting further away.)

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As a person, on record, supporting "Palestine" getting minor recognition from the UN, can you explain why you support the idea. Have the "Palestinians" done anything in particular to warrant such recognition? Do you believe that this recognition will help to further the "peace" process with Israel? (On a side note, I wonder when the next elections will be in the West Bank and Gaza. It's been quite a while now. The date seems to keep getting further away.)

If it was a straight vote Palestine would get a full membership.
Unfortunately the USA could veto that.

now at least they are recognised as a "State" .
I am not sure why Israel would be more prepared to negotiate with a "People" than a "State"... Perhaps it is because Israel can renege on deals that can not be legally enforced.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If it was a straight vote Palestine would get a full membership.
Unfortunately the USA could veto that.

now at least they are recognised as a "State" .
I am not sure why Israel would be more prepared to negotiate with a "People" than a "State"... Perhaps it is because Israel can renege on deals that can not be legally enforced.
That's nice, but what does this have to do with any of my questions, Terry?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
For me, it's because they are a separate people that has been living on the same plot of land for a while. Perhaps a bit simple and naiive, but that seems like enough.

Will it help the peace process? I think it would be a step towards the two-state solution, that seems like most moderate minds on both sides seem to favor, though I don't know if it'd help peace in the short-term.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

They should have been recognised from day one as were the Israelis. No peoples should be classed as stateless. What did Israel do to be recognised. I am not sure "Doing" is a prerequisite.

With out the status as a state, no agreement can be binding and no territory sovereign. That is why Israel was against it.
Now things can progress in a more legal way. Israel will just have to face the true situation as it now is. If Israel want defined borders and long term peace it is the only way. There is no reason to throw their toys out of the pram because of it. They have no right or authority to "Punish" any one because they lost face to most of the world.

I see no reason to hold elections any time soon, they may not make the situation any easier than it is now. Nor do I see any popular demand for one. When western Ideas of democracy get mixed up with Islam, very strange results occur... as demonstrated in Egypt at this moment.

seeking4truth

I'm perplexed as to why the legal action taken by the Palestinian Authority results in an illegal action by Israel.
Why aren't steps being taken through the UN to compel Israel to remove illegally built settlements?

seeking4truth

"(On a side note, I wonder when the next elections will be in the West Bank and Gaza. It's been quite a while now. The date seems to keep getting further away.)"

Didn't Israel refuse to recognise the winners of the last elections, chosen by the Palestinians but supported the losers?

loverOfTruth

As a person, on record, supporting "Palestine" getting minor recognition from the UN, can you explain why you support the idea. Have the "Palestinians" done anything in particular to warrant such recognition?
Have the Israelis done anything to get a new State ? This is absolutely absurd. Israel was built on palestinian land - the least that should be done is that Palestinians get their State as promised.
Do you believe that this recognition will help to further the "peace" process with Israel?
Now the Palestinians will have a better way to hold Israel accountable according to the International Law when Israel keeps on with their illegal activities. So the only way it will hamper the peace process is when the Palestinians peacefully pursue their rights against the Israeli illegal activities through the International court, that Israel responds with more aggression instead of working for a peaceful solution. All the Palestinians did is peacefully went to UN to get better recognition, did not bomb Israel - how is that supposed to hamper peace otherwise ?

(On a side note, I wonder when the next elections will be in the West Bank and Gaza. It's been quite a while now. The date seems to keep getting further away.)
As if that even matters until someone Israel likes is elected ...:eek:

Last edited:

loverOfTruth

I'm perplexed as to why the legal action taken by the Palestinian Authority results in an illegal action by Israel.
Why aren't steps being taken through the UN to compel Israel to remove illegally built settlements?

Because Israel stated it will hamper peace process ... so now they have to show how(through more illegal activities) ;)

esmith

Veteran Member
Well it is said that there goes any chance for a Mid-East peace settlement involving Israel.

seeking4truth

Latest news says that Israel is now not going to hand over taxes they collect on behalf of the Palestinian Authority.

Why are they collecting these taxes?
Is 'not handing them over' stealing?

seeking4truth

I keep being told that Palestinians and Jews lived peacefully together before the second world War.
Is that true?

Is the creation of Israel a 'guilt trip' because all the wealthy, powerful and knowldgeable Jews left the others to suffer in Europe during the war while they went on to success and power elsewhere?

Flankerl

I keep being told that Palestinians and Jews lived peacefully together before the second world War.
Is that true?

No.

See 1929 Safed and Hebron massacre.

Latest news says that Israel is now not going to hand over taxes they collect on behalf of the Palestinian Authority.

Why are they collecting these taxes?
Is 'not handing them over' stealing?

The PA owes the Israel Electric Corporation 800 million NIS so they are holding back 450 million NIS.

YmirGF said:
Have the "Palestinians" done anything in particular to warrant such recognition?
What did you do to warrant recognition? Every human being deserves the right to self-determination, just for being born.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The British Government has called in the Israeli ambassador.
Though I do not suppose we will break off diplomatic relations yet.
But that would be the next logical step.
It seems this is one area where we are working closely with Europe.

The USA and Israel, seem to be unaware how angry Europe is over both their attitude and their actions.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As a person, on record, supporting "Palestine" getting minor recognition from the UN, can you explain why you support the idea.
Because I believe that the Palestinians have the right of self determination.

Have the "Palestinians" done anything in particular to warrant such recognition?
Yes, they have constituted themselves as a people with a national identity. If one accepts the right of a people to self determination then to ask such a question is a bit like asking whether women in the US had done anything in particular to warrant the right to vote.

Do you believe that this recognition will help to further the "peace" process with Israel?
I do not know but, given the rightward movement of the current Israeli leadership, think it unlikely.

(On a side note, I wonder when the next elections will be in the West Bank and Gaza. It's been quite a while now. The date seems to keep getting further away.)
You are right. It is an irrelevant side note.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Just not getting a real clear picture of what 'peace' is being described here,
or peaceful for that matter,
and who is doing it 'more/better'?

Kind of tired of this conversation honestly.
Having a hard time seeing the 'other' side of things.

So true. Myself, I see the acceptance of Palestine as an observer as a very positive change.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Because I believe that the Palestinians have the right of self determination.
Are you then quite happy with the "Palestinians" retaking East Jerusalem and making it their capital?

Yes, they have constituted themselves as a people with a national identity. If one accepts the right of a people to self determination then to ask such a question is a bit like asking whether women in the US had done anything in particular to warrant the right to vote.
I thought we were past that. Didn't the UN, upon the creation of the state of Israel, allow for a "sister" state of "Palestine" way back in 1948, roundly rejected by Israel's Arab neighbors and the "Palestinians" of that age? Ergo, this "national identity" was already apparent way back when. Apparently the self determination thingy, at the time, didn't work out too well.

I do not know but, given the rightward movement of the current Israeli leadership, think it unlikely.
So, a center or left wing coalition would take hundreds of rockets being fired into Israel more kindly? Would such a coalition be more accepting of the duplicity of the Palestinian Authority?

You are right. It is an irrelevant side note.
You're right, even though the elected representatives terms expired in 2009 it's probably no big deal. What's three years, give or take? Then again, who, in their right mind, would run in opposition to Hamas in Gaza?